British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beesbarmyarmy

Wild Cards For 09

I hope Jonas is given the nod as the final Swede. He does seem to be able to turn it on when it matters. Give Freddie another year and he'll qualify by right. Wouldn't put Emil or Holder in, sure their talented riders but only in their age range. I'd prefer to see Harris and Rune given another go.

Rune has qualified anyway! :blink:

I can't agree about preferring to see Bomber in the series rather than Sajfutdinov! Have you not watched him pootling around at the back all summer? :unsure:

Freddie showed last night that he is the 2nd Swede and should definitely get the nod over Davidsson. As you mentioned on the other thread, he could just do with cutting down on his schedule a little, so that he has the energy to allow him to raise his game on the big occasion. :neutral:

Like most others, I'd go for Nicholls, Lindgren, Holder and Sajfutdinov. Jarek and Bjarne are next best, but clearly the wrong nationality to get an automatic pick.

Edited by Seb the Snail

I can't agree about preferring to see Bomber in the series rather than Sajfutdinov! Have you not watched him pootling around at the back all summer? :unsure:

Freddie showed last night that he is the 2nd Swede and should definitely get the nod over Davidsson. As you mentioned on the other thread, he could just do with cutting down on his schedule a little, so that he has the energy to allow him to raise his game on the big occasion. :neutral:

Like most others, I'd go for Nicholls, Lindgren, Holder and Sajfutdinov. Jarek and Bjarne are next best, but clearly the wrong nationality to get an automatic pick.

Agreed Sajfutdinov and Holder will bring something young , new and exciting to a tired looking series . Time to jetteson the dead wood like Nicholls , Bjarne Pedersen , Harris and Dryml .

Sorry, I didn't realise Rune had got in...I didn't watch the GP last night and thought Rune was way off, but well done to him :wink:

Jarek should be in then. I just don't think you should throw an 18 yr old in the deep like that. It shows how bad the world stage is though when he is one of the front runners.

Harris had some tough crashes, I'd stick with him.

Jonas and Freddie are both extremely talented riders. They both deserve a shot but another year wouldn't hurt Freddie, whereas Jonas is a year older and has been unlucky with having Lindback and Freddie in the way of getting a Wildcard.

So therefore I'd go with

9. Nicholls

10.Harris

11. Hampel

12. Davidsson

Jarek should be in then. I just don't think you should throw an 18 yr old in the deep like that. It shows how bad the world stage is though when he is one of the front runners.

9. Nicholls

10.Harris

11. Hampel

12. Davidsson

well Jennie i seriously doubt that they bring Hampel in when they've already got Holta, Gollob, Walasek and Ulamek in there. But i agree on the thing about 18 year old riders.

Agreed Sajfutdinov and Holder will bring something young , new and exciting to a tired looking series . Time to jetteson the dead wood like Nicholls , Bjarne Pedersen , Harris and Dryml .

Id also go with Jonas, He has proved he can mix it with the top boysin the world cup and as a wild card in previous GP's.

didnt he finnish above Freddie in the swdish championship? But if people are suggesting two brits, why not 2 swedes?

Id go for

Nicholls

Davidsson

Lindgren

Hample/NKI

however i doubt jarek will get a pick becuase of the amount of poles already qualified and the same with NKI becuase of the amount of danes.

I agree about JD - he has proven himself in the World Cups and performed very well as a wild card, so give him a chance. I think he would've qualified through the final if he hadn't been on the sidelines injured.

As for the others, I can see Scotty getting the nod again. He has shown in the last few GPs that he really wants it again. Whatever has given him the kick up the backside he's needed, it's done him a world of good!

I'd quite like to see Hampel get a place, but with all the Poles already there I can't see it happening, so maybe Holder.

And I'm stuck on the fourth rider. I would guess at another Brit, but who? I think Bomber has been out of his depth this year and I think a year out of the GP series would do him good. Richardson - would he just embarrass himself? Kennett - not ready, IMO. Tai - too young. Steady - I don't think he could handle it if he couldn't keep up with the big boys.

Who else is there??? :unsure:

Edited by leanne1706

When will the wildcards be officially announced?

Don't know, but if I remember correctly, last year it was not long after the final GP.

Nicholls, Lindgren, Sajfutdinov and Holder.

:)

Guest Ashie Smashy
As for the others, I can see Scotty getting the nod again. He has shown in the last few GPs that he really wants it again. Whatever has given him the kick up the backside he's needed, it's done him a world of good!

I'd quite like to see Hampel get a place, but with all the Poles already there I can't see it happening, so maybe Holder.

And I'm stuck on the fourth rider. I would guess at another Brit, but who? I think Bomber has been out of his depth this year and I think a year out of the GP series would do him good. Richardson - would he just embarrass himself? Kennett - not ready, IMO. Tai - too young. Steady - I don't think he could handle it if he couldn't keep up with the big boys.

A very good summary.

The sad fact is that British Speedway can only look to Nicholls at the moment to represent us, and he whilst showing a bit of fight of late is not good enough on a consistent basis.

So who would we give the wild cards for 09 to then? These are who I think they will be given to:

1 - Scott Nicholls - He's the number 1 brit, therefore will probably get one. If he'd ride all year with the same grit as tonight he'd be in the top 8.

3 - Emil Sajfutdinov - World U21 champion for the second year running.

If the rider who finishes 9th. every year automatically gets picked they may as well say it's the top nine whio qualify!! :rolleyes:

And if they did that then I suppose people would be arguing for the rider who came 10th. every year. :blink:

For the life of me I can't see why (if one accepts that the top eight remain in..) that there aren't then EIGHT positions up for qualifying into.

IF because one is in the GPs and can't or won't enter the qualifiers then strikes me as hard luck - after all why should being in the GPs give one an advantage over those not in it. They have all year to secure a top eight position while others outside currentluy have the tiny pickings of only three qualifying places.

To try and restore some credibility to a currently totally morally-bankrupt competition they should go with at least 8 qualifying positions.

And one of those should surely be reserved for the World U-21 champ...: under the current system if Sajfutdinov doesn't get a slot then one might as well pack up the toys and all go home..

And for the record I certainly think Eddie should get the nod :approve: ...: surely no-one believes that Lee Richardson would contribute anything..?! :unsure:

And one of those should surely be reserved for the World U-21 champ...: under the current system if Sajfutdinov doesn't get a slot then one might as well pack up the toys and all go home..

And for the record I certainly think Eddie should get the nod :approve: ...: surely no-one believes that Lee Richardson would contribute anything..?! :unsure:

David Kujawa should not be forgotten.We are lucky at the moment we have a worthy champ.But to say a WC should be automatically given is foolish.

As is your suggestion to give Eddie a WC. :lol: Luckily the WC selectors live in the real world B)

If the rider who finishes 9th. every year automatically gets picked they may as well say it's the top nine whio qualify!!

BSI obviously want freedom to ensure the right 'mix' of riders, and not have some sort of Andy Smith sneaking back in every year. ;) There's obviously going to be at least one, if not two British nominees next year, simply because Britain has the 'prestige' GP and is one of the biggest markets for television. Unfortunately, whilst Nicholls underachieves year-after-year (I'm starting to sound like Subedei here ;) ), there really isn't any other British rider who's better at the moment.

I suspect BSI would like to be able to handpick all the riders every year, but the FIM and the SGP riders wouldn't stand for that. I suspect Britain will get two nominees, simply in case one of them gets injured during these season.

Whilst Sajfutdinov appears to have the ability and back up to make a go of the GP's, there are plenty of Under 21 Champs who have struggled or would have.

In the early days of the GP's Under 21 champs were given a chance. Mikael Karlsson found the going very tough in 1995 and his Hackney win apart, even Jason Crump found things difficult in 1996.

As for giving Kennett a nomination - well words fail me. Can't think even Eddie himself believes he has done anywhere near enough to get a spot.