British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Cyril Francis

i went to the newport v rye house meeting yesterday and ended up sitting next to ex woves and wasps rider cyril francis. we had a very interesting chat about cyrils career and memories. i thought it was good to see a speedway veteran like cyril still taking an active intrest in the sport.

It was great to read this-I recall Cyril well from his Wolves/Wasps days-a real nice gentleman.How old would Cyril be now? Still lives in Newport I guess, wish I could have listened in on the conversation-anything you could share with us-riders he liked/disliked etc-in particular did he mention anything about Ivor Brown?I mean its all so long ago now. If you see Cyril again mention this British expat in Canada remembers him with affection and thank him for the memories he's given us all.

It was great to read this-I recall Cyril well from his Wolves/Wasps days-a real nice gentleman.How old would Cyril be now? Still lives in Newport I guess, wish I could have listened in on the conversation-anything you could share with us-riders he liked/disliked etc-in particular did he mention anything about Ivor Brown?I mean its all so long ago now. If you see Cyril again mention this British expat in Canada remembers him with affection and thank him for the memories he's given us all.

i did'nt like to ask cyril his age but he looked very well. most of my questions were about long gone tracks he had ridden at such as neath, bristol (knowle), stoke (sun street), bradford (greenfield) and many others. i told cyril i was a lifelong wimbledon fan and he told me a few stories of his rides at the london tracks i went to as a kid. i will visit newport again this season as my inlaws live in carmarthen, when i do i will look him up and pass on your messages.

Thanx cityrebel and wish Cyril all the best from me-a great guy.

Cyril was my first hero in speedway the first race I ever saw had him in it in his one season at Elle port still got his photo nice to hear he is still about .I remember his brother in law who sat by us getting him to come and sign the photo and have a chat with me a true gent and an unsung hero of the sport IMO .Rode one last season for the then new Potters after his season with the Gunners and then retired I would guess he is in his late 70's by now.

Cyril rode in the first match I ever saw at the back end of 1968. For Newport at Cradley, remember him then riding a few matches for the Heathens in 1971. Nice to hear that he is still enjoying his Speedway.

If memory serves me right I think Cyril was very instrumental in getting Speedway into Newport. I belive he informed the Milke Parker \ Bill Briggett partnership about the possibilty of racing at Somerton Park using the old greyhound track which used to circulate round the football pitch.

i did'nt like to ask cyril his age but he looked very well. most of my questions were about long gone tracks he had ridden at such as neath, bristol (knowle), stoke (sun street), bradford (greenfield) and many others. i told cyril i was a lifelong wimbledon fan and he told me a few stories of his rides at the london tracks i went to as a kid. i will visit newport again this season as my inlaws live in carmarthen, when i do i will look him up and pass on your messages.

Cyril celebrated his 75th Birthday on the 19th January.

Regards

Mike

Cyril celebrated his 75th Birthday on the 19th January.

Regards

Mike

Great to hear he's still kicking on - a real goer.

fatherjack you are correct that Cyril was instrumental in bringing Somerton Park to Bill Bridgett's and Mike Parker's attention as a possible venue befor it opened in 64..

fatherjack you are correct that Cyril was instrumental in bringing Somerton Park to Bill Bridgett's and Mike Parker's attention as a possible venue befor it opened in 64..

I used to race against Cyril in second halves at Cradey Heath in 1970, along with guys like Arne Pander. I learned so much just riding with those guys. To a strugling second halfer they were genuine legends. Glad to hear Cyril is stil doing well.

Shortly before Somerton Park was demolished Cyril, Jon Erskine and Toby Harryson were guests at an evening Jacks Bar for those who remember the old place. They told stories, some of them hillarious - what charcters they were, sadly you don't seem to get them anymore.

Fatherjack -where was Jack's Bar located , and is Jon Erskine still with us?

Spoke to Jon Erskine about 4 years ago at Newport, am certain he is still around.

Jacks bar was the County Supporters Club Bar behind the main stand on the Somerton Road side of the ground. Jon is still with us although he used to be a regular over the Hayley Stadium and was team manager of the Mavericks in 98 I dont think he vists as as much now.