British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

If The Oldest World Finalists Had Met At Their Peak

Now we know the 16 oldest surviving World Finalists I wondered what would happen if they had all met on a neutral track at the peak of their careers in the old one-off format.So I decided to give it a shot-I have the oldest riding in the #1 racejacket(Cyril Roger) then all the others in their age order down to the youngest as #16(Rune Sormander) Here's what I came up with.

Ht#1 Waterman, Roger,Clark,Dunton

#2 Williams,Bradley,Payne,Brand

#3 Mardon,Boothroyd,Taylor,Close

#4 Nygren,Sormander,Bales,Gooch

#5 Roger,Payne,Taylor,Gooch

#6 Bales,Bradley,Boothroyd,Clark

#7 Nygren,Waterman,Close,Brand

#8 Williams,Sormander,Mardon,Dunton

#9 Sormander,Bradley,Close,Roger

#10 Nygren,Mardon,Payne,Clark

#11 Waterman,Williams,Bales,Taylor

#12 Boothroyd,Gooch,Brand,Dunton

#13 Bales,Mardon,Roger,Brand

#14 Williams,Clark,Close,Gooch

#15 Sormander,Waterman,Payne,Boothroyd

#16 Nygren,Bradley,Taylor,Dunton

#17 Nygren,Williams,Roger,Boothroyd

#18 Sormander,Clark,Taylor,Brand

#19 Waterman,Bradley,Mardon,Gooch

#20 Bales,Close,Payne,Dunton

Run-off for 2nd and 3rd: Waterman,Williams, Sormander

Overall. Nygren 15,Waterman 13,Williams 13,Sormander 13,Bales 11,Bradley 10,Mardon 9,Roger 7,Boothroyd 6,Payne 6,Clark 5, Close 5,Taylor 4, Gooch 2,Brand 1,Dunton 0.

Anybody have any comments on the above -other than those of the nature of "you gotta get a life".In retrospect I may have been too generous to Billy Bales -but remember they are all riding at their peak-don't tell Danny Dunton I gave him zero points.How would some other forumlanders feel they would have finished up!!!!!

Gosh! It's a hugely impressive endeavour you've launched into here, BOBBATH! I am impressed! :approve:

I have to profess having once met him and spent a whole meeting with him (at Wimbledon in 2004..), the legend that is Split has become my favourite rider, I was far too young ever to have seen ride(!), so for me I'd have Mr. Waterman as number one. He is one of only two riders to have finished second in a WF twice without ever being champ, so to place him second again in a third is a bit cruel..! :neutral:

Yeah it could have gone either way-how would you guys compare Fred Williams to Split-any disagreement with the top three being the top three!!

Sorry it's off topic, but, is Nygren the only one that still does four laps on a bike?

What's off topic about that??Olle is one tough Swede!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's off topic about that??Olle is one tough Swede!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wonder if he has still got his white boots!. i can remember him wearing them riding for wimbledon and west ham.

I assume this meeting would be held at the old Wembley. In which case, Freddie Williams is the likely winner, as he won two World Championships against tougher line-ups than the one listed.

All the best

Rob

No way lucifer sam-I put in my post that it had to be a neutral track for the very reason you outline-no question that Wembley favoured home riders and to me Tommy Price's and Fred's wins are questionable-perhaps like Egon Muller's win at Norden. Pick any neutral track you like e.g. Cardiff, Costa Mesa or my own personal favourite-Paris, Ontario. The latter is a Canadian version of the frying pan at New X.

No way lucifer sam-I put in my post that it had to be a neutral track for the very reason you outline-no question that Wembley favoured home riders and to me Tommy Price's and Fred's wins are questionable-perhaps like Egon Muller's win at Norden. Pick any neutral track you like e.g. Cardiff, Costa Mesa or my own personal favourite-Paris, Ontario. The latter is a Canadian version of the frying pan at New X.

On a neutral track, it would be Waterman, with Nygren second.

All the best

Rob

Olle is one tough Swede!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too true... after going on his training school a few years ago, spending the whole day getting sore.... then sit down and watch him do his demonstration. You wonder if the guy is invincible at his age. :lol: Such a nice guy to talk to as well.

The consensus so far seems to be Split-anyone else besides me vote for Olle -or any of the other riders.????

In retrospect I may have been too generous to Billy Bales

I think it would depend on what size the neutral track is. A large track and Billy's your man; a small track (like New Cross) and yes, I think you've been too generous.

The consensus so far seems to be Split-anyone else besides me vote for Olle -or any of the other riders.????

Put me down for Olle :approve: