British Speedway Forum

You had shot down in my estimation for stating the obvious...

With the record they have at Somerset, it'd be a massive failure if they don't do well. There's no dark horse about it, Sheffield should be in with a shout of winning it.

And then raised back up for.............stating the obvious!!!

Now seriously, does ANYBODY know any tips on how to pursuade the non-speedway supporting missus to "stop off" at Somerset on route to Cardiff as I'm running out of ideas :cry:

Edited by squall

Chlorop....*Ouch* :rolleyes:

Just seen this...

She's driving you spanner!!!!! :shock:

That's lucky for Redcar really as Grieves is shocking around Somerset and not well liked by the fans after he dumped Readie over the fence a few years back. He even turned down the chance to ride in the PL Pairs last year I believe. :lol:

Grieves turned down the chance to race in the pairs last year?

Me thinks not...he was definitely there.

Now seriously, does ANYBODY know any tips on how to pursuade the non-speedway supporting missus to "stop off" at Somerset on route to Cardiff as I'm running out of ideas :cry:

Tell her that the 7bridge has been closed to the public as it's such a massive event and you'll have to catch a park & ride from The Oak Tree (a none speedway fan wouldn't know what or where that is). Then, when you roll up Friday evening there just happens to be another speedway meeting on.

If that fails, handcuffs and sticky tape tends to do the trick :lol:

Tell her that the 7bridge has been closed to the public as it's such a massive event and you'll have to catch a park & ride from The Oak Tree (a none speedway fan wouldn't know what or where that is). Then, when you roll up Friday evening there just happens to be another speedway meeting on.

If that fails, handcuffs and sticky tape tends to do the trick :lol:

Might give the park and ride one a go.

Can't tape her up as she'll be the one driving!

Grieves turned down the chance to race in the pairs last year?

Me thinks not...he was definitely there.

It was the year before when he was with Redcar. He was second in their averages but turned down the chance to ride and they used Ty Proctor instead.

Maybe not to you or me, but he is to the armchair viewer who goes along to one meeting at Cardiff each year. And so would be Joe Screen. If Screen isn't allowed to ride, then it's an opportunity wasted to draw along the casual fan.

All the best

Rob

Maybe it is, but for this meeting, and the day before Cardiff, they hardly need to draw in casual fans do they? It'll be a full stadium with a 2hr wait to get out the car park as usual;)

I agree with the fact that Screen or Hefenbrock not being allowed to race. Applying the same rule, then it's right that Grievesy shouldn't be allowed to represent Redcar. Try telling a newcomer the reasons for allowing Joe Screen to race for Glasgow after only ever having ridden 5 or 6 matches for them, whereas all the rest have done a full season???

It de-values the sport another notch if this is allowed to happen. Maybe he would be good in the event, but at the end of the day, another point of credibility would fly out the window for the sport - and lets face it, we don't need anymore going out, do we?

Not to mention hefenbrock of somerset, I read elsewhere that a rider had to have done 8 meetings for their club for them to be allowed to ride in the pairs (not sure if this is the same for the fours) seems sensible enough to me of course your never gonna please everybody or in the bspa's case anyone by the seems of it.

As above - definitely seems sensible. At least he'd have contributed something to the team he's representing.

I think that the Sheffield pairing is a no brainer, would love to see odds for a Sheffield win, not a betting man, but do think we could be a real dark horse for this meeting.

Definitely think Sheffield could be dark horses - though I say that each year. Would certainly put money on them getting out of group 2.

Gutting for Birmingham they can't have Sedgmen and gutting for Edinburgh that they can't use Matty Wethers.

Like I said before, Matty is probably our most consistent and best rider round OTA - ahead of Fish, Andy etc...

day out at the seaside (burnham on sea),it's just one mile from the stadium!!!! :wink:

(we stay there every year)

Like I said before, Matty is probably our most consistent and best rider round OTA - ahead of Fish, Andy etc...

I agree - He's always good entertainment and has come close to maximums on many different occasions on the past and also beat all the top names like Doyle, Zetterstrom and Kramer over the past few years.

Maybe it is, but for this meeting, and the day before Cardiff, they hardly need to draw in casual fans do they? It'll be a full stadium with a 2hr wait to get out the car park as usual;)

I agree with the fact that Screen or Hefenbrock not being allowed to race. Applying the same rule, then it's right that Grievesy shouldn't be allowed to represent Redcar. Try telling a newcomer the reasons for allowing Joe Screen to race for Glasgow after only ever having ridden 5 or 6 matches for them, whereas all the rest have done a full season???

It de-values the sport another notch if this is allowed to happen. Maybe he would be good in the event, but at the end of the day, another point of credibility would fly out the window for the sport - and lets face it, we don't need anymore going out, do we?

How does allowing the best rider in the division the chance to ride in this devaluing the sport ? What complete nonsense .

As per usual :rolleyes: we have Edinburgh fans and Najjer hiding behind rules and regulations without flexability and common sense . While everyone else is bemoaning the fact Joe can't entertain them .

What if a team ( heaven forbid ) has a disatrous run of injuries , signs a couple of suitable replacements for the injured riders , but can't go with them here cause they were signed after a cut-off date nobody knew about .

This is a competition that has allowed Glasgow to use a rider that hadn't ridden in a competative fixture for them , that allowed a Rye House pairing of David McAllan and Robert Ksiezak at Glasgow . But now hides behind rules and regulations to prevent Joe Screen riding - complete tosh .

You wouldn't bother about it if Screen rode for another team.

If rules were brought in to prevent the farces you have already mentioned then I applaud it.

As I said before the BSPA are damned if they do and damned if they don't not to mention it's always Edinburgh's fault going by the tosh on a certain other forum :blink:

How does allowing the best rider in the division the chance to ride in this devaluing the sport ? What complete nonsense .

As per usual :rolleyes: we have Edinburgh fans and Najjer hiding behind rules and regulations without flexability and common sense . While everyone else is bemoaning the fact Joe can't entertain them .

Paulco - well said. As a neutral at Somerset, I want to see the best possible line-up, not riders blocked by red tape for no good reason.

But unfortunately some people on here can't see beyond their bias against Glasgow. :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

If rules were brought in to prevent the farces you have already mentioned then I applaud it.

As I said before the BSPA are damned if they do and damned if they don't not to mention it's always Edinburgh's fault going by the tosh on a certain other forum :blink:

Think if the rules were given and published at start of the season then it would have put a stop to this. They may have been in place but they dont give the fans the information required which can be frustrating. Will still be a superb meeting with or without Joe and Josh is pretty decent around the Oak tree anyway. Looking forward to a great night of racing and all the lads giving 100% effort :D

I'm afraid you don't credit me with enough love of speedway . Of course i'd be advocating Joe's inclusion regardless of who he was riding for .

I still intend going to this meeting , even though it's devalued , but it's nothing more than an entertaining novelty event . So why rob the paying public of one of the league's most entertaining riders .

I'm all for rules and regulations as long as they are there for the benefit of the sport , not for shooting themselves in the foot as is the case here .

I'm all for rules and regulations as long as they are there for the benefit of the sport , not for shooting themselves in the foot as is the case here .

Agree with you which is why Screen and Hefenbrock should be in this meeting.Its very much a devalued meeting now without these 2 and the other riders who see meetings in Europe as more important.

Maybe we should forget about the Pairs altogether,or at least untill we can get the best riders from all the teams there.

Edited by screm