British Speedway Forum
RPNY

U21 World Team Cup - British Team Selection

Well what a let down! Got there at 11am and the tractor took to the track once for two laps of watering before the meeting started. 1st race was like a dust storm and after lap 3 you could already see the blue groove developing on turn one.

Then they trotted out the old its a sunny and drying day, although for the most part it was overcast. A shocking track prep for what should have been a belter of a meeting. Virtually no passing and a meeting that took best part of fours hours too run.

God knows what impression of British speedway it portrayed to the travelling Polish, Danish and Swedish fans :shock: I know for a fact that quite a few Polish fans had already retreated to the Rye pub around the corner by half way through the meeting.

Virtually no overtaking and a real disappointment of a meeting, I think Uncle Len has shot his bolt with alot of fans there today, very many unhappy punters and I for one, amongst a host of others will have to think hard before travelling to Rye House again :angry:

Thanfully someone must've read the riot act to the Clerk of the Course and pits staff, as the progress of races much improved from heat 11 onwards and even more so from heat 15 to the end. As they could do it then, it begs the question why on earth did they allow that shocking situation with the first ten heats.

Tapes exclusions of which there were FOUR in that first period should NOT lead to the other three riders going back to the pits for five minutes!!

And efforts to keep down the dust which led to 15 minutes gaps for watering simply weren't working and IMHO were just delkaying the meeting with no overall result. I have a third of the shale from the third bend in my hair right now and I have hardly any hair!! :rolleyes:

Dust, delays, virtually no passing...: not exactly a great advert for Speedway and a shame as there was a really big crowd...

Yes it's a shame that no real effort ever seems to be made by anyone to get these meetings moving along although as you say things did quicken up eventually.

We have 30 heats to look forward to at Rye on Saturday. I think I'll be checking who the ref is before I decide whether to go or not.

Not a great weekend for the sport. Too many injuries (get well soon to all those concerned) and both showpiece meetings appear to be massive let downs. Even allowing for the re-runs there is no way the Rye meeting should have dragged on for so long in the early stages and the field for the Pairs meeting was a disgrace.

Sad to hear the track was so dusty today, can only think they were expecting some natural watering.

Yes it's a shame that no real effort ever seems to be made by anyone to get these meetings moving along although as you say things did quicken up eventually.

We have 30 heats to look forward to at Rye on Saturday. I think I'll be checking who the ref is before I decide whether to go or not.

I'd check who's doing the track prep too! :blink:

Not a great weekend for the sport. Too many injuries (get well soon to all those concerned) and both showpiece meetings appear to be massive let downs. Even allowing for the re-runs there is no way the Rye meeting should have dragged on for so long in the early stages and the field for the Pairs meeting was a disgrace.

Sad to hear the track was so dusty today, can only think they were expecting some natural watering.

Weather forecast was for fine and dry weather and breezy :rolleyes: Edited by refereerick

I have to say this was one of the worst meetings I have ever been to. I arrived at 12.15 and, although I spent time before tapes up visiting different vendors whilst looking out for a couple of friends who wouldn't be able to arrive a bit later, I don't recall the track being watered. Of course, once the first race was under way clouds of dust emerged. And why the ridiculous delays between races, especially, early on. As I recall, after one hour, four heats had been completed. A very tedious afternoon which made yesterday's EL pairs meeting look slick and exciting!

Congratulations to Denmark, who, have confirmed that their production line continues, Commiserations to Sweden, who, fell away after having got close mid-meeting, and well done Poland in adapting to such an alien circuit. As for GB, Lewis rode well but in only every other race and bit of a laughing stock that whenever he wins we all have to endure his overstated lap(s) of honour, Josh Autey, who doesn't gate but is a fighter which didn't work on the track he was presented with. Then there is Joe Haines, a rider who is usually quick if he makes the start but trails at the back if he doesn't. Of the Kyles, Newman worked hard despite being out of his depth whilst, the Hughes version, might have not bothered to turn up. Not for the first time does he arrive with bikes that don't work. I daresay Phil Morris will take some stick as team manager. Phil is an intelligent and articulate man who, as yet, has not acquired the skill of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Overall, if Tai had been fit we might have challenged for the Bronz medal but no more.

Edited by tocha

I'd check who's doing the track prep too! :blink:

That never changes so I know what to expect there Rick. :)

Blimey, that was a bit long-winded. Nearly four hours to stage 25 races - it nearly took as long as the infamous 2005 CL Pairs at Wimbledon. :shock:

All the best

Rob

Just got home and feel that I've totally wasted my day.

Terrific and very understanding crowd. Delays were completely unacceptable, even allowing for the dust problem. As for the action itself, there was nothing worth mentioning. Complete waste of time and money......never again.

I was actually interested in seeing this meeting but Im glad I didnt bother by reading some posts on here.

I agree i too have been looking forward to this meeting for ages .As for the Rye track i hope it will be in till top condition but i think you should have put anyone who has atteneded a meeting at Rye will know its rearly is . I hope Len spends his seasons budget on shale for this meeting rather than the bucket full they normally use for league meetings and lets hope he gets a better way to water the track than he had for the Benifit meeting at the start of the season i never saw Pedersen crash for dust . I hope its a great day with an England win but i cant help but think its the wrong venue.

I was there and i dont like to say it but told you so . A wasted £20 as far as i,m concerned. Why was there no urgency to push this meeting on ? 4 hours for 25 heats and the bit that got me was after 15 heats they had a bloody interval we,d had an interval after heat 5 and 10 whatever was going on ? bad advert for British Speedway and i still stand by what i said wrong venue .

Blimey, that was a bit long-winded. Nearly four hours to stage 25 races - it nearly took as long as the infamous 2005 CL Pairs at Wimbledon. icon_smile_shock.gif

All the best

Rob

... and you say Parsnips can't let things go icon_evil.gif

Edited by BossMan

... and you say Parsnips can't let things go icon_evil.gif

How's that not letting things go? I was just making a comparison to another similar meeting. Maybe it's time to remove that chip from your shoulders. :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

Oh god, where do I start, if it wasn't for Bridger's celebrations, watching the Poles shaking hands with their supporters at the end and having pics taken and the danes giving Jan Steachmann and another larger member of their team the bumps I'd have had a totally wasted day, at least they showed passion and caring.

I really should have known that the bloody Rye track is almost impossible to pass on anyways, £60 down the swanny :(

Oh god, where do I start, if it wasn't for Bridger's celebrations, watching the Poles shaking hands with their supporters at the end and having pics taken and the danes giving Jan Steachmann and another larger member of their team the bumps I'd have had a totally wasted day, at least they showed passion and caring.

I really should have known that the bloody Rye track is almost impossible to pass on anyways, £60 down the swanny :(

A gruelling day indeed!Thank heavens for the Artur Mrozcka fan club for keeping us entertained between the heats!!One of the longest meeting I've ever been to. :rolleyes: Outstanding performance by Rene Bach :wink:

Edited by bluejam

bad advert for British Speedway and i still stand by what i said wrong venue

Totally with you on that one.The FIM gave Rye House the coveted meeting,but why? :blink: