British Speedway Forum

So, who'll get the BSI nod for the four GP nominations in 2011?

Certainties for nominations are Emil Sayfutdinov and three-time World Champion Nicki Pedersen (Pedersen might yet clinch a place in the top eight, although it is highly unlikely).

Darcy Ward's double gold in the World Under-21s matches Sayfutdinov's achievement and that was enough to get the sensational Russian a nomination for 2009, so Ward should definitely be in the running.

That could be bad news for the disappointing Nordic duo of Andreas Jonsson and Hans Andersen. Both have been very poor in the GPs this season, especially Swedish champion Jonsson, who after an encouraging start to the season has faded dreadfully after some uncompromising semi-final riding from Gollob and Crump in successive GPs. In my opinion, neither Jonsson or Andersen are deserving of a nomination.

The Poles are pushing hard for Janusz Kolodziej's fantastic season to be recognised by a nomination and have given him the "wild card" for the final GP in Bydgoszcz. Another good showing from Kolodziej could well make overlooking him impossible.

Then there is Tai Woffinden.

Gollob, Crump, Hampel, Bjerre, Holta, Hancock, Holder, Harris ... Laguta, Lindback, Lindgren ... Sayfutdinov, Jonsson, Andersen, Pedersen.

Kolodiej first reserve due to Qualifier

Darcy Ward may be thought of for a place after his second WU21 title just as Emil was ... if he does it will be at the expense of AJ or Andersen but think they will stay with the experience of AJ and Hans.

I don't think Darcy was planning on GPs until 2012 - no sense rushing into anything unprepared.

I don't think Darcy should go into GP yet. Also, I don't think Andersen, Pedersen and Jonsson should be pushed in there all the time. At least one of them should be out. Kolodziej had a great season and deserved one of the permanent wild cards for sure. The question is though, aren't we going to have too many Poles in GP?

Definitely no Richardson, Woffinden or Nicholls please.

So, who'll get the BSI nod for the four GP nominations in 2011?

Certainties for nominations are Emil Sayfutdinov and three-time World Champion Nicki Pedersen (Pedersen might yet clinch a place in the top eight, although it is highly unlikely).

Nicki has some very good form around Bydgoszcz in the SGP, so it is possible that he might yet make the cut, but I agree that it's pretty unlikely he'll get into the top 8. Even if he does sneak into the top 8, it can only realistically be at the expense of Holder or Harris, and both of them would get the pick if they missed out.

Darcy Ward's double gold in the World Under-21s matches Sayfutdinov's achievement and that was enough to get the sensational Russian a nomination for 2009, so Ward should definitely be in the running.

I'm not sure that Emil's selection was just based on his 2 U21 titles.

With all due respect to Darcy, Emil's performances in all matches during those 2 years was excellent, and far superior to what Darcy has been delivering.

Having said that, Darcy clearly has the temperament for the big occasion, and could probably do a good job in the SGP.

It sounds like he is happy to rule himself out for another year, a bit like Chris Holder did, and that is probably a sensible decision. Another year to consolidate on what he has already achieved and start to gain more consistency week in week out, not to mention another year to make sure that his organisation and support system is ready for SGP makes sense.

That could be bad news for the disappointing Nordic duo of Andreas Jonsson and Hans Andersen. Both have been very poor in the GPs this season, especially Swedish champion Jonsson, who after an encouraging start to the season has faded dreadfully after some uncompromising semi-final riding from Gollob and Crump in successive GPs. In my opinion, neither Jonsson or Andersen are deserving of a nomination.

Once again, I agree here.

I don't think either one has done enough to warrant a pick.

Out of the two, Hans would be the one with the best case. He actually had a fairly solid start to the SGP season and was looking good for a top 8 place, if not really a serious contender, before the crash with Nicki in Sweden, and he has constantly been racing injured since then.

The Poles are pushing hard for Janusz Kolodziej's fantastic season to be recognised by a nomination and have given him the "wild card" for the final GP in Bydgoszcz. Another good showing from Kolodziej could well make overlooking him impossible.

With the season that Janusz has had, combined with his poor luck in the SGP Qualifier, where he looked the class of the field before his bike failed, it is really hard to overlook him for a place.

If I was involved in the selection process, I would give Janusz a place but on the condition that the Polish rounds next year don't necessarily have Polish wildcards in them...4 Poles is more than enough for the local, fans, so give the wildcard to someone like Darcy when the SGP visits Poland.

Then there is Tai Woffinden.

Hmmmm.....One semi final appearance so far with a lowly 7 point score in that round really doesn't suggest that he is worthy of inclusion again. The already dismissed Hans and AJ both have 5 semi final appearances to their name this season, so it would be outrageous if Tai was given a place ahead of them....

Outside of those that you have mentioned, there really aren't any strong contenders.

Lee Richardson could have a case, as yet again he has been the best Brit after Chris Harris.

The next few that spring to mind as worthy are Poles; Kasprzak, Miedzinski and Balinski, and none of them have any hope of a pick.

Then you have guys like Matej Zagar, Bjarne Pedersen, Greg Laguta, Niels Iversen, etc, who again, have little chance of a selection due to their nationality, if nothing else.

Of course, this is assuming that none of the riders who make the top 8 retire from the SGP.

Rune has suggested he might walk away a couple of times, so it's not inconceivable that this could be his year to give it up. Similarly, Greg might decide that he has had enough of the SGP despite his improvement towards the end of this year.

Just mentioning those guys as potential retirees, it made me think....Has any rider other than Hans Nielsen gained a qualifying place and not taken it up in the following season?

Just mentioning those guys as potential retirees, it made me think....Has any rider other than Hans Nielsen gained a qualifying place and not taken it up in the following season?

Billy Hamill springs to mind.

Regarding Holta and Hancock, the only comments I've seen attributed to both suggest an intention to carry on the GPs

It's all very well for you to suggest that Sayfutdinov was picked for performances other than his two World Under-21s, but those were the outstanding achievements. Furthermore, Woffinden was nominated without ANY comparable achievement to Sayfutdinov and Woffinden.

Edited by ladyluck

I don't think Nationalities should come into it, too many Poles or not! This is for the world title and should be the 16 riders deemed to be the best that there is.

I think Kolodziej should get the nod.

Woffinden will get the nod again as part of the BSI contract with Sky.

Unfair if so. Even Zetterström deserves it more.

Otherwise I tend to agree with T.N.T.s list.

Harris getting the wild card year after year, but one bad season for AJ or Andersen, and it's out?

Tai , Emil , Nicki & Zorro for me

Gollob, Crump, Hampel, Bjerre, Holta, Hancock, Holder, Harris ... Laguta, Lindback, Lindgren ... Sayfutdinov, Jonsson, Andersen, Pedersen.

Kolodiej first reserve due to Qualifier

Darcy Ward may be thought of for a place after his second WU21 title just as Emil was ... if he does it will be at the expense of AJ or Andersen but think they will stay with the experience of AJ and Hans.

From what i hear there will be 2 brits in the Gp series so AJ or Hans will miss out :shock:

From what i hear there will be 2 brits in the Gp series so AJ or Hans will miss out :shock:

Which would be a disgrace. No way should Tai (or any other Brit) get a pick ahead of those two or Kolodziej.

Pedersen, Emil and Andersen because they have all either been injured or riding with bad injury

Wooffenden because they will want 2 brits. Dont agree with that myself as it would rule out a better rider

Lee Richardson could have a case, as yet again he has been the best Brit after Chris Harris.

In what context? British averages? No. British Championship? No. Polish Averages? They are not in the top flight, unlike Woffy and Bridger. Richardson has had his day, I am afraid. Richardson has failed in qualifiers too.

Both Richardson and Nicholls will need to qualify, and if Harris hadn't turned round his season, him as well.

I don't think Darcy should go into GP yet. Also, I don't think Andersen, Pedersen and Jonsson should be pushed in there all the time. At least one of them should be out. Kolodziej had a great season and deserved one of the permanent wild cards for sure. The question is though, aren't we going to have too many Poles in GP?

Definitely no Richardson, Woffinden or Nicholls please.

How many times have AJ, Andersen and Pedersen been in via nomination and how many times have those qualified by merit?

Compared to Harris who have received many nominations.

Nicki, Emil, Hans + Kolodziej,