British Speedway Forum

Woffinden was (understandably IMO) given what was going to be a 2 year Wild Card, with the idea that he would learn in his first season and improve the next year

That does not make sense though, it is almost saying to a rider, don't worry, you don't have to perform to be guaranteed a place next season. Many GP newbies have had average seasons, but shone through at times, Emil, Holder, and even Chris Harris did so perhaps deserved their second chances, but Tai has not really shown any glimpses of being good enough at all this season and nearly always looked off the pace.

So whilst I hope he makes it back in a season or two, and shows what he is capable of, I don't think his performances justify a place next season.

Edited by Not Blinkered

I don't think that his performances merit another attempt at the GPs next year. A lot of people (including myself) thought that this was a year too early for him and sadly it has proven to be the case. It wold be unfair to the other potential wildcards if Tai was picked in front of them.

Let him concentrate on his Wolves form in 2011 and hopefully he can come back the following year.

I don't think that his performances merit another attempt at the GPs next year. A lot of people (including myself) thought that this was a year too early for him and sadly it has proven to be the case. It wold be unfair to the other potential wildcards if Tai was picked in front of them.

Let him concentrate on his Wolves form in 2011 and hopefully he can come back the following year.

I agree. Let the best riders through, and the likes of Woffinden, THJ and Dennis Andersson, all promising speedway world stars, can sit out untill they show they've got what it takes.

Tai Woffinden Would another nomination hinder his career?

without knowing the guy im not sure I can answer that as everyone is built differently and react in different ways to things.......... I personally was outraged last winter when he was offered the wildcard ... (and before that when Tai and Ed were rumoured).......... speedway history and common sense dictates that it was a reckless decision by IMG that was most likely putting at stake a young rider's career at a time when he had enough to deal with

this year imho has shown that Tai is not consistent enough, does not have enough big race experience..... and has not yet developed enough track craft to float at this level.....he may or may not be reacting well to it within himself but the competition out there is cut throat and he has generally been off the pace both on track and in the table

In the circumstances, 49 points from 11 Grand Prix rounds is not too bad a haul.

tbh in the circumstances he has done everything expected.... grief is a tricky thing when it involves parents and I take my hat off to the lad for getting through the season without doing a Reggie Perrin considering the magnification he has been under...................... but lets not lose sight of the facts .....49 points from 11 gp's (or 56 races) is an extremely poor return and is down there with the very worst in GP history

similar poor seasons have ended up sinking the majority of the respective riders GP careers.......but Tai is just getting started and is so young that he could easily have 3 or 4 years out and still come back a youngster......

I think it is inevitable that Tai will be top 8 standard but only if he is allowed to grow at his own pace

ladyluck quote

Sky need to cease with their "Wuffy, Wuffy, Wuffy" mania. While it may be a huge laugh for Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum, it could be doing untold and permanent damage to Woffinden's career.

completely agree and while i'm not adverse to a bit of impartial commentary, the pressure that ends up being heaped on his shoulders, and the viewers expectation of him, is just too much.......... personally I think IMG and Sky should turn it down a bit..

one thing I never caught up with...... am I right in remembering that because Tai didnt qualify for the GB final that it will rule him out of being nominated for world championship qualifying this season?

Just had a quick look at the stats from the past few seasons (since we've gone back to 16 riders). Statisticly Woffy has been the 'best' last placed rider in all those years. (Taking 14th as 'Last' since Sayfutdinov didn't ride in enough rounds and would never have finished 15th if he had)

Woffi's 49 from 11 rounds gives him an average round score of 4.45

Dryml 2008 is next on 4.27 (47 from 11)

Nicholls 2009 was 4.09 (45 from 11)

Richardson 2006 was 3.90 (39 from 10)

Chrzanowski 2005 was 3.11 (28 from 9)

Lindback 2007 was 3.10 (31 from 10, including 3 x zero scores)

Obviously the stats don't take into account the competition, Woffi's score would have benefited points wise from a below par/injured Pedersen and the absense of Sayfutdinov.

Somebody always has to come last, but if Woffiden rode next season he'd be last again in what is shaping up to arguably be the strongest line-up GP has seen (in my opinion).

Interesting is that three out of the past six seasons have seen a Brit at the bottom of the pile... clearly time for Britain having two riders guaranteed has to be over!

Edited by tomhaines

That does not make sense though, it is almost saying to a rider, don't worry, you don't have to perform to be guaranteed a place next season.

Lots of things don't make much sense and I wouldn't be surprised if Woffinden was given assurances regarding next season. After all, when Nigel Pearson first mentioned "Wuffy for the GPs" his sidekick Kelvin Tatum was adamant that Woffinden had to be given a two year gig and not just thrown to the sharks for a season.

Somebody always has to come last, but if Woffiden rode next season he'd be last again in what is shaping up to arguably be the strongest line-up GP has seen (in my opinion).

Woffinden last even with Artem Laguta in the field?

After all, when Nigel Pearson first mentioned "Wuffy for the GPs" his sidekick Kelvin Tatum was adamant that Woffinden had to be given a two year gig and not just thrown to the sharks for a season.

Woffinden last even with Artem Laguta in the field?

A two year gig, as you put it, would be totally unprecedented and totally unfair on all other riders. Why should Tai be given such preferential treatment?

For what it's worth I reckon Laguta will ruffle a few feathers next year. He may have the odd poor score, but will also win races. At least he qualified and didn't rely on a nomination to get him in (let alone a two year one!).

IMO he would do a bit better next year, but for the sport to not be a complete rabble, they cant give him another shot, until he qualifies. The riders trying to have a go, would be disparaged no end if Tai jumped the que again. Once was acceptable, twice unforgivable.

If this was allowed to happen, I truly believe it would be the right time for someone to start a breakaway series, and sign riders up and run a legit series based on merit, facts and results.

The conflicts of interest in the current GP setup is a total joke and a well run alternative would soon take over as the premier competition.

Edited by dirt

That does not make sense though, it is almost saying to a rider, don't worry, you don't have to perform to be guaranteed a place next season. Many GP newbies have had average seasons, but shone through at times, Emil, Holder, and even Chris Harris did so perhaps deserved their second chances, but Tai has not really shown any glimpses of being good enough at all this season and nearly always looked off the pace.

So whilst I hope he makes it back in a season or two, and shows what he is capable of, I don't think his performances justify a place next season.

I think it makes perfect sense personally. I think the GP is a MASSIVE step for any rider I think it is a series that riders need to learn, it isn’t just about on track performance it is about finding a balance both on and off the track.

Learning how to fit in a racing calendar and schedule, the demands of extra sponsors, managing where to be and when it is all pressure and tricks of the trade that the riders need to learn.

Many riders have struggled in there early GP career, it didn’t happen right away for the likes of Adams and others. I can remember plenty riders struggling when they first stepped up to the GP.

Woffinden is a bright young emerging talent, IMO for the GP to improve it does help if they offer a 2 year wild card to a young emerging talent and blood them into the Grand Prix series.

To many capable riders have been in and out of the GP each season IF they were given a run at it I don’t doubt they would improve with the series.

For what its worth for a first season GP rider, his age and what has went on his life this year I think he has done well enough to deserve a chance next season.

I think the GP is a MASSIVE step for any rider.

The step into the GPs is massive. The SWC just doesn't compare.

In reality, the decision to nominate Woffinden for 2010 was nonsense, but the [british] alternatives weren't as acceptable as "Wuffy, Wuffy, Wuffy" and the similarly aged Emil Sayfutdinov had been a sensation in 2009.

Who were the British alternatives? Nicholls, who had finished stone last in 2009, had finally had enough and ruled himself out before BSI did the ruling for him. Few fans really like Lee Richardson and he hadn't really covered himself in glory when he was in the GPs. Edward Kennett was mentioned, but the ridicule heaped upon that probably ended that one. On the back of Sayfutdinov's remarkable first season, Woffinden looked a decent choice (from a BSI perspective).

The problem is, of course, that, as Darcy Ward has pointed out, Emil Sayfutdinov is a one-off and Sayfutdinov managed to congregate around him an established GP team, consisting of some that had worked with Tony Rickardsson.

Edited by ladyluck

Lots of things don't make much sense and I wouldn't be surprised if Woffinden was given assurances regarding next season. After all, when Nigel Pearson first mentioned "Wuffy for the GPs" his sidekick Kelvin Tatum was adamant that Woffinden had to be given a two year gig and not just thrown to the sharks for a season.

since when has Sir Kelvin decided what happens within GP picks?...... just because he said something once it really doesnt mean a whole great deal......

since when has Sir Kelvin decided what happens within GP picks?...... just because he said something once it really doesnt mean a whole great deal......

Most people tend to think Sky have leverage over BSI.

Anyway, nothing I have read leads me to believe Woffinden thinks the decision is not in his hands. He talked after Terenzano of being "fifty-fifty" regarding doing the GPs next season. The Speedway Star, whose managing editor is part of the circus, never mentions Woffinden in their various nomination articles, while discussing freely the possible consequences of failure for Andersen and Jonsson.

In addition, when has a British rider ever been left out after a single season? Richardson was given a few, Nicholls and Harris have enjoyed many.

You also have to look whether the GP's are financially viable for Tai, obviously I don't know whether he has made/lost money from his GP adventures this year but its something else to factor in.

You also have to look whether the GP's are financially viable for Tai, obviously I don't know whether he has made/lost money from his GP adventures this year but its something else to factor in.

I think you will find that it is not financially viable to any of the riders in the GP's. Costs are massive and the income will never meet the expenditure. What the GP's do is to showcase the rider to get higher earnings in the bigger leagues. Remember both Hamill and Bjarne dropped out, if it paid they would have stayed. :)

I think you will find that it is not financially viable to any of the riders in the GP's. Costs are massive and the income will never meet the expenditure. What the GP's do is to showcase the rider to get higher earnings in the bigger leagues. Remember both Hamill and Bjarne dropped out, if it paid they would have stayed. :)

Don't forget - the more exposure at the highest level = more lucrative and better sponsorship as well'd have to put $Big Buck$ into your bank account.