British Speedway Forum
peatbog

Christmas Quiz

Any idea which season the feud was?

In Ivan Maugers autobiography (Triple Crown plus) there is a chapter (number 13 actually....) that is titled 'The man I hated'.

He refers to this other rider (whom he never actually names) and him getting into some really dangerous riding tatics for a season and a feud developing between them.

Who was that rider?

PS. Sorry, but I never found out so just interested to learn who it was after all these years.... :)

maybe you'll have to ask him at the VSRA meal in March....

he says he's going this year

Bit before my time, 1964. Ove Fundin had a bit of 'ruthless' reputation though I believe, so could it be him? Someone will no doubt point out that they were the best of mates now!

Bit before my time, 1964. Ove Fundin had a bit of 'ruthless' reputation though I believe, so could it be him? Someone will no doubt point out that they were the best of mates now!

Wouldn't have thought it was Ove. Mauger wasn't in his class in 1964. Ivor Brown sounds more likely but I don't know.

According to Peter Fosters Cradley book the person referred to is Ivor Brown, who had a number of run-in's with Mauger in the 1964 season.

Back to the quiz

who won the first heat in the first meeting at Rochdale 29-3-70?

the answer was Paul O'Neill from Crewe just incase anyone was interested

Wouldn't have thought it was Ove. Mauger wasn't in his class in 1964. Ivor Brown sounds more likely but I don't know.

I'd go for Ivor Brown too, on the basis of Peter Foster's Cradley history which details their antipathy.

It was Ivor Brown

Ivor took badly to Ivan's fame as he had been top dog. One Saturday Ivor fenced Ivan badly. In the return on Monday at Newcastle, Ivan returned the compliment but unfortunately injured Bill Andrew in the process. Mind you Ivor had a quiet night after that, being both injured and having a bent bike. Ivor must have had the cleanest bikes in the league in those days, they were a real credit to him.

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

According to the Cradley book mentioned previously, the roots of the "feud" lay in a Scratch race Final between the two when Ivan was guesting for Wolves. In that version Ivor was twice knocked off. The real explosion taking place at Brough later in the season when Ivor rode Ivan very,very wide (he didn't fall) and resulted in heated exchanges in the pits. Later in the meeting (again the Scratch race final) Mauger made it clear to everyone he was out to get Brown, even telling the other 2 riders to stay out of the way. Mauger then allowed Brown to gate before storming under him on the first turn, fencing him and leaving Brown with a stretcher ride, trip to Hospital and 4 weeks sidelined with a badly gashed foot. The truth???? who knows?

yep,.. that sounds like Sprouts alright.. :D

Was it Jack Young with 12 points in the 'Biggs' final? I think it was 1951.

Leicester.

John Titman, Ila Teromaa and Jerzy Rembas. Rembas nearly won even though his league average was less than 5.00.

OK, then old timers, which rider won the individual (old style) world championship with the least number of points for the top position in its history. :unsure:

3 points for the name, 2 for the number of points scored and 1 point for the year. Nil for err..... coming last?:oops::D

Also:

Sam Ermolenko in 1993 and Tony Rickardsson (after a run-off with Nielsen and Boyce in '94