British Speedway Forum

When all is said and done the whole speedway fraternity has seen the antics of Mr Bowden and his way of running things. He has sadly put riders off wanting to come and ride for Plymouth and right now that isn't what is needed. As for the Lanham situation, well he is a better option than Boxall given his consistency at all tracks around the Country but Leigh it seems is not that keen on the idea as he is contemplating not riding initially rather than the travel to Plymouth every Friday.

What worries me, which has been already mentioned on this thread, is that if Lanham turns the offer down Plymouth have a rider in Boxall who is clearly not wanted by the promoter due to 'excessive demands' if you believe everything you hear. I can't see that changing so if Lanham does say no, Plymouth may have yet another problem. Sadly it's the same old song on repeat where it concerns the Plymouth Promoter.

On the subject of Berwick, they are my dark horses for the title. Superb top 5 and if young Edberg gets going they have every chance!

• Like 1

Well if Leigh DOES sign then you can count on seeing me and the family down Plymouth way (hope that doesn't upset anybodies!!)....now that we are speedway nomads.

Believe me, the team could have no finer ambassadour than Mr Leigh Lanham.

Mike

• Like 1

I don't think Berwick will do a Newport at all but I think Plymouth's crowds are healthier than Berwick's I also think Plymouth's septet will cost less, admittedly Plymouth dont have the GP challenge.

I still dont get your point about Plymouth doing a Newport, have you been to the SBA? its a hot bed of Speedway apart from when the lights go out in Heat One!

I don't think Berwick will do a Newport at all but I think Plymouth's crowds are healthier than Berwick's I also think Plymouth's septet will cost less, admittedly Plymouth dont have the GP challenge.

I still dont get your point about Plymouth doing a Newport, have you been to the SBA? its a hot bed of Speedway apart from when the lights go out in Heat One!

Only an opinion, which differs from yours ,it is a forum.

So Plymouth have actually offered Lanham a team place. I don't think that's the wisest thing to announce when he is in two minds. Surely the Plymouth riders will be able to work out who Lanham would replace.. If Lanham decides against signing for Plymouth then surely there won't be good chemistry between one rider and the club. That rider will be knowing that the club preferred someone else and were on the edge of leaving him with no team at a very late time. Of course the likely rider is Boxall. It just doesn't seem like the greatest idea to make the offer public in my opinion.

Anyone agree/disagree? I'm interested to know what other people think.

Agree and disagree,yes I don`t think it is right to change a rider at this late stage just cos someone else is suddenly avaliable, however if the rider is Boxall,he ain`t exactly Mr.Loyalty is he?

What goes around,comes around.

• Like 2

Agree and disagree,yes I don`t think it is right to change a rider at this late stage just cos someone else is suddenly avaliable, however if the rider is Boxall,he ain`t exactly Mr.Loyalty is he?

What goes around,comes around.

I think Boxhall has met his match in Mike Bowden.

When all is said and done the whole speedway fraternity has seen the antics of Mr Bowden and his way of running things. He has sadly put riders off wanting to come and ride for Plymouth and right now that isn't what is needed. As for the Lanham situation, well he is a better option than Boxall given his consistency at all tracks around the Country but Leigh it seems is not that keen on the idea as he is contemplating not riding initially rather than the travel to Plymouth every Friday.

What worries me, which has been already mentioned on this thread, is that if Lanham turns the offer down Plymouth have a rider in Boxall who is clearly not wanted by the promoter due to 'excessive demands' if you believe everything you hear. I can't see that changing so if Lanham does say no, Plymouth may have yet another problem. Sadly it's the same old song on repeat where it concerns the Plymouth Promoter.

On the subject of Berwick, they are my dark horses for the title. Superb top 5 and if young Edberg gets going they have every chance!

Mike i agree what you say about Mike Bowden, but if Boxhall has signed a contract then surely his demands must have been agreed to, if now he is making excessive demands then what's the point in a contract, makes me think no contract has been signed, so Mike Bowden has every right to change his mind if Boxhall is asking for more than what was agree, i'm not saying what Mike Bowden is doing is right but we don't know what the situation is with him and Boxhall, i think if you look at Boxhall's history, it mite be better if Mike Bowden don't sign him.

I'm not so sure about rider's being put off signing for Plymouth, i think if you offer any rider the right money they will sign, with Lanham it's just a matter of the distance he has to travel, it's not like he has to make the trip five day's a week, it's just once a week on a friday, i think he is very lucky to be offered a ride just a month before the season start's, it could be month's before he get's offered another one.

I've seen a few comments now on the healthy crowds at Plymouth. Having never been, roughly what sort of numbers do they attract down there?

The lowest I have seen there was a late season nothing NL clash with Weymouth and there were around 1,000.

The crowd for the last match of the 2011 season against Edinburgh was truly astonishing. A cold October night, a nothing match, no away fans and the team at the bottom of the league and it was pushing 2,000. Admittedly there were issues with the lights before hand, but there was a huge queue to get in and the start could have been delayed because there were so many outside at tapes up.

Bearing in mind they were down the bottom of the PL with a string of early season defeats, I have little doubt they still attracted the biggest average attendance in the PL over the season and outstripped most EL clubs as well.

Eveen allowing for Cockle, Franchetti & Glanz and what I heard are most reasonable terms for Barker, I doubt it.

The reason Fisher isn't ridingh EL is because his demands are excessive and I amazed he did a deal with any PL club.

I'm not so sure about rider's being put off signing for Plymouth, i think if you offer any rider the right money they will sign, with Lanham it's just a matter of the distance he has to travel, it's not like he has to make the trip five day's a week, it's just once a week on a friday, i think he is very lucky to be offered a ride just a month before the season start's, it could be month's before he get's offered another one.

Ashworth went on record saying he was offered a very good deal to sign for Plymouth but he still went elsewhere and he did state travel as part of his reasoning (not the only reason though granted). When you get a reputation for yourself it can be very hard to get the monkey off the back so to speak. There have been comments on here from individuals claiming Mr Bowden owes riders from last year money and other comments that suggest he has gone back on his word on various 'deals' he has done. Whether these are true or not they don't help when trying to attract riders.

As for Lanham I'd say he's very much unlucky rather than lucky. He had a club until last week and through no fault of his own now finds himself possibly on the sidelines, I get your point though about him being lucky to have a contract on the table so soon after Newportgate.

The lowest I have seen there was a late season nothing NL clash with Weymouth and there were around 1,000.

The crowd for the last match of the 2011 season against Edinburgh was truly astonishing. A cold October night, a nothing match, no away fans and the team at the bottom of the league and it was pushing 2,000. Admittedly there were issues with the lights before hand, but there was a huge queue to get in and the start could have been delayed because there were so many outside at tapes up.

The reason Fisher isn't ridingh EL is because his demands are excessive and I amazed he did a deal with any PL club.

Well that will come as news to the 20 odd Monarchs fans that were present, including myself.

As your first assertion was incorrect, on what actual factual information do you base your claim re Fisher's excessive demands, or is it just another vacuous statement from someone claiming to be in the know ?

Well that will come as news to the 20 odd Monarchs fans that were present, including myself.

As your first assertion was incorrect, on what actual factual information do you base your claim re Fisher's excessive demands, or is it just another vacuous statement from someone claiming to be in the know ?

My point with that post was to highlight just how remarkable the gate that night was, and while 'no away fans' might be inaccurate the fact that there were 20 hardly affects that point given that they would have been 1 in 100 (and as the place was packed its also little wonder that I didn't see anyone from Edinburgh).

I am certainly not prepared to reveal openly who told me that because it was said in confidence but I have neither made it up or been told by someone in the pub. In truth, and aside from what I was told, there really aren't that many reasons why a rider as exciting, capable and able as Fisher was almost frozen out of British Speedway altogether.

Interesting stuff thanks Halifax. Hope to have a look sometime in the near future.

Get yourself down. Its a terrific little track with some equally terrific fans, and there's always the bonus of Mr Bowden having done something extraordinary the week before.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Maybe Fisher has lowered his demands??

Entirely possible if not totally probable.

I'd be surprised if he still isn't Plymouth's highest paid rider.

Entirely possible if not totally probable.

I'd be surprised if he still isn't Plymouth's highest paid rider.

Well if I was out of work, I'd drop my rate...owts better than nowt