British Speedway Forum
stratton

Could Mike Bast Have Been A Force In World Speedway?

You would think so. The Californian money and lifestyle are certainly big factors.

But I would also say - in this case - that it may be a symptom of American sport. I get the impression that for many American sportsmen being the best in the US is enough for them and - in their mind - akin to being the best anyway. At the risk of racial stereotyping, many yanks simply don't have the international outlook people from other nations do. Isn't it something like only a third of Americans actually have a passport?

Like it or not, Formula One is the acid test of motorsport. The Formula One World Champion is recognised as the best driver in the world. Yet, there is not a strong tradition of American drivers testing themselves at the global level, instead preferring Indy Car or Nascar.

Excellent, I think that aptly sums up the American mind-set to sport outside the USA. And the latter remark in regard to F1 v Indy Car/Nascar is also a criteria as to how Americans see sport outside their homeland.

You would think so. The Californian money and lifestyle are certainly big factors.

But I would also say - in this case - that it may be a symptom of American sport. I get the impression that for many American sportsmen being the best in the US is enough for them and - in their mind - akin to being the best anyway. At the risk of racial stereotyping, many yanks simply don't have the international outlook people from other nations do. Isn't it something like only a third of Americans actually have a passport?

Like it or not, Formula One is the acid test of motorsport. The Formula One World Champion is recognised as the best driver in the world. Yet, there is not a strong tradition of American drivers testing themselves at the global level, instead preferring Indy Car or Nascar.

I would also add the Americans call Baseball the 'World Series'. What's that all about - not too many other countries even play Baseball. Canada does (Toronto 'Bluejays') but I can't immediately think of anyone else.

Isn't it called the World series as it was sponsored by the (Chicago?) World newspaper and absolutely nothing to do with being a world championship.

Isn't it called the World series as it was sponsored by the (Chicago?) World newspaper and absolutely nothing to do with being a world championship.

You are correct. The baseball World Series is just a championship for USA-based clubs. Nothing more than that.

This Link explains what the World Series is all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series

I quote this from Wikipedia: "Despite its name, the World Series remains solely the championship of the major-league baseball teams in the United States and Canada, although MLB, its players, and North American media sometimes informally refer to World Series winners as "world champions of baseball."

Edited by Guest

Baseball is more widespread than you may think TWK. This guide may be of interest to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_baseball_outside_the_United_States

Cheers gustix. :t:

It isn't my Sport - as you can probably tell. :D :D :P

It was mentioned in a book of the 1880s that the New York World newspaper sponsored the series but that has been disputed by baseball historians and seems to have become an urban myth. There doesn't seem to be any connection between that newspaper and the World Series.

Edited by Hot Shoe

It was mentioned in a book of the 1880s that the New York World newspaper sponsored the series but that has been disputed by baseball historians and seems to have become an urban myth. There doesn't seem to be any connection between that newspaper and the World Series.

Even if it were true that the original sponsor was the source of the title, why retain it? Unless it has been retained due to a sense of grandiosity on their part. Surely not?! Only in America ;-)

Anyway, back on topic. The title asks if Mike Bast could have been a force in World Speedway, the more I think about it, the more I have to say no. Talent is one thing, but a willingness to work hard and make sacrifices hugely outweigh that. That's the big difference between Bruce Penhall and someone like Mike Bast. Without that desire and hunger you are never going to be the best.

Wasn't there also an Aussie called Chris Watson who was one of their top riders in the 80s or 90s who also never came to Britain? Based on results Down Under he seemed to be every inch the match for the Aussies who did ride in the UK. But again, if the desire and hunger are not there, then it aint never going to happen at the top level anyway.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

Just came across this guy a few days ago. Seems to have done vids on most US riders. Here is his history of Mike Bast

Some racing from an East v West meeting at Irwindale 1976 with the Bast brothers, Bruce Penhall, Bobby Schwartz etc

The riders introducing themselves from the same meeting

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 8:49 AM, iris123 said:

Interesting, although I do love the typical American slant on just awful the UK is... Maybe it isn't "American", more Californian!

I always have arguments here in Cincinnati, when people - people who have never set foot outside the US - tell me how much it rains in London. On average, Cincinnati has 30 days more rain a year, with getting on for double the accumulation!

Edited by chunky

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Interesting, although I do love the typical American slant on just awful the UK is... Maybe it isn't "American", more Californian!

I always have arguments here in Cincinnati, when people - people who have never set foot outside the US - tell me how much it rains in London. On average, Cincinnati has 30 days more rain a year, with getting on for double the accumulation!

And "convict Island Australia" suggests a rather parochial world view.

The part about the weather being awful in the UK i think has accompanied most reports about Basts visit for the world championship. I can't remember what it was like, although i did see him practice at Plough Lane before the White City meeting, which i was also at. I just guess if there was practice after a meeting at Wimbledon then the wethaer couldn't have been too bad. But London isn't California. I just guess that the part about the weather came from Mike himself, and he wasn't too happy about the whole thing

The bit about Australia........:blink: