British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Anglian Youth League

['Nikko']

I would say up to a 6 point NL average is way to high and also 2 NL riders out of 4 is too many.

For me this league is for young riders to gain experience in team racing and to to get ready for NL teams.

Personally I have no problem with 1 NL reserve per team but no more and no riders who have ridden at NL heat leader or above.

If you look at some of the reserves this season they are still very inexperienced and this league would help them. It will also give some riders without a team spot the chance to show what they can do.

Rules are going to have to agreed and stuck to. If they are then this can only be a good thing.

Maybe 2 NL riders in a team max maybe too much but then again I think that all riders under 18 at March 15th of a particular season should be exempt from resticrtions unless they have gained at least a NL average of 8 or over. It would be wrong for all NL riders to be excluded from the junior League because riders get better by riding against better riders and this League has to show a definate stepping stone between junior League and NL!

I agree that rules have to be stuck to which I hinted on in my long post on this thread. Since the old official Leagues were finished after the 1992 season there has been a few unofficial attempts to run Leagues at this level and they have normally failed because few people knew much about them with results not being published in the speedway star, riders riding for more than one team at the same time and generally rules not being kept to. The 1999 Development League which I believe was officially sanctioned was the nearest we got to a decent organised League but the organisers lost interest and it withered away.

The BSPA have to ensure the 3 Junior League sare run properly and that results are included in the speedway star under the main meeting like they used to be in the 80's and early 90's. Basically they have to promoted like they are the 4th Division of British speedway which is exactly what they are!

The old Junior Leagues of the 80's and early 90's for me as a fan used to add extra value to a meeting, sometimes these matches would provide more incident and excitment than the main meeting. Before these Leagues and the old style 2nd halfs died, that was part of the thrill of going ot a meeting, seeing young and or local rookies have a go at making the grade. In this day and age of financial struggle for most people and promotors looking to make meetings better value for money, a properly run and structured Junior League would help no end and if these Junior Leagues increased in popularity then on meetings where they wern't a Junior match, they'd be more scope for 2nd half scratch races.

• Like 3

Great to see so many clubs in the league.

It is obviously a good thing to have a junior league but is there much point for the lads while those champions of British speedway, Louis and Morton, fill their teams with Australians and continentals, ignoring all the British talent in the process?

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but no.

Riders must be 15 years old and it is actually called Anglian Junior League, never has Youth been mentioned.

It has been mis posted in this section and everyone should look at the BSPA website for conformation.

Great work by all concerned to get official recognition for their efforts.

Shame if 15 is the entry level. Robert Lambert is 14. When he celebrates his 15th birthday I don't know, but what I do know is he is sensational from what I have witnessed during his second half outings at Rye House last year with 4 laps timed sometimes faster then in the main PL match. The BSPA or, whoever, cannot be allowed to sit on their hands at the risk of he and other talented prospects plying their trade elsewhere.

Shame if 15 is the entry level. Robert Lambert is 14. When he celebrates his 15th birthday I don't know, but what I do know is he is sensational from what I have witnessed during his second half outings at Rye House last year with 4 laps timed sometimes faster then in the main PL match. The BSPA or, whoever, cannot be allowed to sit on their hands at the risk of he and other talented prospects plying their trade elsewhere.

I don't think Robert will be 14 until the 5th April this year, but I'll stand to be corrected.

Its the same for Nathan Greaves 14 in Febuary so he is in nomansland, he cannot ride his 500 in the junior leagues or amateur meetings.And hopefully when he is 15 a place in the National league awaits so hardly any RACING on a 500 except for the British Championship!!