British Speedway Forum
stratton

Peter Craven Is He The Top Brit Ever?

Good call! Let's not forget Donkey either. Others worth a mention include Mike Broadbank, Brian Brett, Les Collins, Dick Fisher, and of course, Split Waterman.

This is what scares me; look at all the names we can rattle off with ease, yet how many modern era (post-1990) merit inclusion?

Steve

Bob Andrews, Cyril Maidment, Eric Williams, Ron Mountford, Arthur Forrest......

Good call! Let's not forget Donkey either. Others worth a mention include Mike Broadbank, Brian Brett, Les Collins, Dick Fisher, and of course, Split Waterman.

This is what scares me; look at all the names we can rattle off with ease, yet how many modern era (post-1990) merit inclusion?

Steve

Good point !!

Probably those who go on about todays stars and think that its great, will eventually realise just how much more quality we had years ago.

My top 5 that I've seen:

1 Peter Collins

2 Mike Lee

3 Loram

4 Simmons

5 Carter

and that I didn't:

1 Craven

2 Farndon

3 Parker

4 Williams

5 Price

Steve

Havelock, Loram, C Louis, Harris... at a push Screen and Andy Smith. Tai I am sure will eventually merit inclusion. Pretty thin compared to yesteryear.

Edit: Also, add Tatum to the list of top Brits from the 80s.

Good point !!

Probably those who go on about todays stars and think that its great, will eventually realise just how much more quality we had years ago.

I'm not sure anyone would claim Britain has as much strenth in depth now as it did in the 70s/80s.

Edited by waihekeaces1

Wasn't Arthur Forrest known as the 'Black Prince' Norbold?

Bill Kitchen does anyone have any info on him? top class rider, 3 world finals at Wembley. I think one of them there was a gap because of the war.

I came very close to mentioning Maido, but didn't want to appear too biased (although his best years were at Hyde Rd, of course) and Mountford. Good call with Forrest too, and to confirm, White Knight, he was the 'Black Prince'.

Another few who haven't (I don't think, anyway) been discussed include the Grahame brothers, Jim Lightfoot, Chris Pusey, Tony Davey, George Hunter, Alan Hunt, and Jimmy Gooch. Others who merit inclusion here are Roy Trigg, Steve Bastable, Eric Boothroyd, Howard Cole, Dick Bradley, and Ronnie Genz.

And yes, sidney, Bill Kitchen.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I came very close to mentioning Maido, but didn't want to appear too biased (although his best years were at Hyde Rd, of course) and Mountford. Good call with Forrest too, and yes, White Knight, he was the 'Black Prince'.

Another few who haven't (I don't think, anyway) been discussed include the Grahame brothers, Jim Lightfoot, Chris Pusey, Tony Davey, George Hunter, Alan Hunt, and Jimmy Gooch. Others who merit inclusion here are Roy Trigg, Steve Bastable, Eric Boothroyd, Howard Cole, Dick Bradley, and Ronnie Genz.

Steve

Thank you chunky. :t::) :)

Neil Evitts, Martin Dugard.

Is this simply now a list of all British riders rather than ones of any particular note

Is this simply now a list of all British riders rather than ones of any particular note

Lol.Seems like it,as Nicholls,Harris and Richardson can easily be compared to a number of the names now getting mentioned.Start by talking about Peter Craven and end up mentioning Evitts,Doncaster and the Grahame Bros :rofl::blink:

Edited by iris123

Lol.Seems like it,as Nicholls,Harris and Richardson can easily be compared to a number of the names now getting mentioned.Start by talking about Peter Craven and end up mentioning Evitts,Doncaster and the Grahame Bros :rofl::blink:

Think you're being a little harsh on Doncaster; a regular 9-point man in a strong BL, and a World Championship bronze medalist...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Craven the cream dont know how high on the list the three you mentioned would be?

Craven the cream dont know how high on the list the three you mentioned would be?

Well i would put all three higher up than quite a few that have been mentioned.Nicholls won the Czech Golden Helmet,which at the time was a big meeting with a world class line-up.Richardson was World U21 champ and Harris did win the British GP.Just on that i would put them up higher than probably half the riders being mentioned over the last day......Just my opinion though.But that is the way with these threads.Starts out fair enough,but then people seem to want to get their two-penneth worth in and you just end up with a list of riders.Half of which you wouldn't mention in the same category as Craven,Collins or Lee.......

• Like 1

Well i would put all three higher up than quite a few that have been mentioned.Nicholls won the Czech Golden Helmet,which at the time was a big meeting with a world class line-up.Richardson was World U21 champ and Harris did win the British GP.Just on that i would put them up higher than probably half the riders being mentioned over the last day......Just my opinion though.But that is the way with these threads.Starts out fair enough,but then people seem to want to get their two-penneth worth in and you just end up with a list of riders.Half of which you wouldn't mention in the same category as Craven,Collins or Lee.......

No you are right iris the 3 elite, plus Farndon Crutcher ect) personally out of the list i would have Bomber half way the other two in the bottom half.

Wasn't Arthur Forrest known as the 'Black Prince' Norbold?

Good call with Forrest too, and to confirm, White Knight, he was the 'Black Prince'

Beaten to it! He was known as the Black Prince because he always had immaculate black shiny leathers.