British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

But the standards don't have to drop Kester. If the same talented riders are riding bikes which are cheaper to buy and maintain, the rider wil be the 'winner'. If the riders expenses are less, the rider will need less pay, therefore takes pressure off the promoter. If the pressure is off the promoter he can reduce admission prices. And it is just possible you may see gates increase. I don't believe fans need to see 4 riders go around a shale track faster and faster. What they want, me included, is good, close, skillfull racing, which can be achieved at less speed. One of the best races I saw at the recent Grasstrack I attended was the 350 cc racing. Not as fast as the 500 cc, but the racing was close and 'nip and tuck'.

The last month at Berwick proves cheaper admission =more fans attending,so it is up to the Promoters to agree and stick to a more affordable pay rate and stick to it (which they did not the last time they were in this situation).Its not rocket science to work out that if expenditure is more than income it will end in failure.I also agree that slower speedway does not mean it is less entertaining.
  • Like 5

many teams are struggling and I am sure many will want 'radical changes' (again) over the winter to make the sport viable..

what will actually be agreed is a 50p across the board admission increase per person and a team strength average which reduces the quality of entertainment on offer..

and why not? because this plan has proved so successful over the years hasn't it?? :mad:

simply, rider costs have to be reduced to make 'wages' lower and maybe the sport needs to go 'backwards to go forwards'.eg when the sport was at its most successful full time professionals were the exception rather than the rule and riding speedway boosted most riders' 'day job' salary (quite significantly) ...

it is obvious to all that most speedway teams do not generate enough money to pay seven full time pro's so why continue chasing this set up?

dying on it's arse speedway in this country with Mr Magoo the elected 'visionary' to move it forwards.. :oops:

• Like 3

Well my good friend , its either Newcastle Diamonds or the Redcar Bears , think I might be joining your gang :wink: , a sad day in Worky today , only hope we can see the season out

Can't see it been Newcastle as the last time we were there you vowed to never set in the place again your words I know I have said it before but I really mean this time I will never set foot in this place again ..

Fingers crossed for my Comet friends.

It will be a sad day for speedway if you guys go under.

Thanks!! Lets just keep our fingers crossed!

Unfortunately yes, I brought this up a few back on the Forum,

I don't believe for one minute that KD wants to see Workington Speedway close, however, how much isn he prepared to lose, it's his money, it is the fans not turning up that will cause the closure of the Speedway

from what i know off keiths attitude both regarding workington speedway and thomas armstrongs i think he would rather shut it than sell it on and the new owners make a better job of it than he did

1 things for sure if it does end before the end of the season all the assets and thats not many will go to the bspa so all keith will have to sell to anyone wanting to run it would be the starting tapes and other such equipment

if he wants to get anything back then a quick sale sounds a good idea even if its only £10,000 its ten grand in his pocket

from what i know off keiths attitude both regarding workington speedway and thomas armstrongs i think he would rather shut it than sell it on and the new owners make a better job of it than he did

1 things for sure if it does end before the end of the season all the assets and thats not many will go to the bspa so all keith will have to sell to anyone wanting to run it would be the starting tapes and other such equipment

if he wants to get anything back then a quick sale sounds a good idea even if its only £10,000 its ten grand in his pocket

Scarra

I take it you want to see speedway survive in Workington, well as supporters all we can do is demonstrate to both this and any future promotions that we (the supporters) are prepared to turn up every Saturday and support our team. What ever your your views or concerns are with the current promotion can I ask that you (and your friends) bury the hatchet and get down to DP on Saturday to show your support. This may be our last chance to keep speedway alive in the town.

• Like 3

Last Saturday afternoon Workington AFC played away at Brackley in the Blue Square North Football League, Saturday night Workington Comets rode against Glasgow and Sunday afternoon Workington Town RLFC played an elimination match against bitter rivals Whitehaven RLFC.

Anyone who thinks the combined 3 did not affect the attendance on Saturday night is a fool.

In the present economic climate punters pick and chose where they want to spend there hard earned cash and value for money entertainment.

Some will pay over the odds for the Speedway fix, but others want to be entertained and a sense of value for money. Never one to critisize promoters as they try the best (for themselves, it is a business to them) but until they all realise as many say that the Sport needs a COMPLETE OVERHAUL and knuckle down to dealing with it instead of continually burying their heads in the sand, then next season will see only a handful of clubs in 1 league and even fewer supporters.

Is the match against Leicester at the weekend going ahead ? As strong reports tonight at Beaumont park from officials and Workington rider that seems match may be cancelled

Virtually since Day One, it's been "my way or the highway" with Denham. Add that to the recession & the rain and it's an overpowering combination.

Well lets say you own the Comets. You bought the licence from Tony Mole and arranged the lease with the Stadium. Plus sorted dozens of things like insurance, track prep, maintenance - that all costs money every week. Lets say you run a very successful business locally, like Denham. Would you not then expect to roll up at Derwent Park (with 3k in your back pocket, of your own money, to pay for other peoples Speedway enjoyment) this Saturday expecting to call the shots and make sound business decisions based on what you did in other walks of life? I bet you would.

Thing is, any Speedway promotor/owner has to get rid of people/make tough decisions in the course of any season. Invarablely, some of those will have mates who are loyal fans, and, armed with a PC, and access to the BSF, all of a sudden that decision is magnified and blown out of all proportion. Throw in a defeat or two, and a rain-off, and all of a sudden that saviour of Workington Speedway (for example) is the subject of the most severe bile spilled out on here.

I am not saying Denham is perfect, he` human like the rest of us, and who is ever going to please all 1,000 fans every week at any given track, but he has put his money up front to buy the Comets and funds it (increasingly out of his own pocket the last three years), so, yes , its entirely reasonable for him to call the shots and run HIS business as he wants - or, `my way or the highway` as you say.

Edited by ballroom
  • Like 6

Well lets say you own the Comets. You bought the licence from Tony Mole and arranged the lease with the Stadium. Plus sorted dozens of things like insurance, track prep, maintenance - that all costs money every week. Lets say you run a very successful business locally, like Denham. Would you not then expect to roll up at Derwent Park (with 3k in your back pocket, of your own money, to pay for other peoples Speedway enjoyment) this Saturday expecting to call the shots and make sound business decisions based on what you did in other walks of life? I bet you would.

Thing is, any Speedway promotor/owner has to get rid of people/make tough decisions in the course of any season. Invarablely, some of those will have mates who are loyal fans, and, armed with a PC, and access to the BSF, all of a sudden that decision is magnified and blown out of all proportion. Throw in a defeat or two, and a rain-off, and all of a sudden that saviour of Workington Speedway (for example) is the subject of the most severe bile spilled out on here.

I am not saying Denham is perfect, he` human like the rest of us, and who is ever going to please all 1,000 fans every week at any given track, but he has put his money up front to buy the Comets and funds it (increasingly out of his own pocket the last three years), so, yes , its entirely reasonable for him to call the shots and run HIS business as he wants - or, `my way or the highway` as you say.

He doesn't seem to have run HIS speedway business very well compared to his other Companies,if that is the case.
  • Like 1

And it isn't right that a promoter has to subsidise the 'show' with his own money. One way forward, I believe, to help get speedway back on it's feet is for riders to be paid based on what is left in the pot, after all other costs have been paid. Therefore, they ride on a commission only basis. Yes riders will leave and say not for me. If the situation is properly discussed with riders before the start of next year, that will allow the promoter to decide one of three things, pack up, drop down to NL or stay where they are. If the promoter wishes to stay in business, but sees his riders leaving, then perhaps he could have a year out of league racing and rebuild his team on challenge matches and individual meetings and re-enter the following season at whatever level he is able. The responsibility for the running of speedway should not just rest on the promoters shoulders, the riders should take some of the responsibility too. This way, you may see riders helping the promoter promote speedway in the local community, as they have a vested interest. The benefit to the fans, is in time, perhaps entry fees can be reduced. In addition, the 'powers that be' find ways of reducing costs for the riders, such as tuning limitations.

• Like 1

no further news on wether or not we are running on Saturday doesn't bode well, to announce its possible closure and then nothing else to follow is not fair on the supporters. even a message to say a full statements will be released on such a date would be better than nothing

no further news on wether or not we are running on Saturday doesn't bode well, to announce its possible closure and then nothing else to follow is not fair on the supporters. even a message to say a full statements will be released on such a date would be better than nothing

• Like 1

He doesn't seem to have run HIS speedway business very well compared to his other Companies,if that is the case.

Run under the constraints of Speedway, ie unable to account for the number of people attending, rising costs.

Away from Speedway, able to be more competitive and raise costs just like other companies have to in the economic climate.

Run under the constraints of Speedway, ie unable to account for the number of people attending, rising costs.

Away from Speedway, able to be more competitive and raise costs just like other companies have to in the economic climate.

True,but the Promoters really have to work with each other rather than trying to "put one over" each other and suffering the consequencies.Edinburgh & Glasgow both claim big losses when winning league, was the reason the wage bill was too big for the number of fans coming through the turnstiles or value for money regarding the sport .I would suggest it was a bit of both and Speedway needs a radical revamp as some previous posters have stated.NO fan wants to see a Track close . Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

theres a story on bspa website kyle howarth back in team on saturday so lets hope thats good news for rest of season and we will take next year as it comes

• Like 1