British Speedway Forum
NeilWatson

Jason Crump To Step Down From Sgp At Torun.

No other top 8 riders have ever retired apart from Hans Nielsen.

Hans made his intention to retire known a year in advance. He was replaced by the next rider in the series, not a rider from the GP Challenge. Seems consistent with Crump being replaced by AJ.

Ironically, I think Hans would have stood an excellent chance of being World Champion in 2000, because both the riders who finished above him in 1999 had troubled seasons in 2000 (Rickardsson changed machinery and it didn't work, while Gollob suffered an injury in a car accident). However, he'd gone 23 years without virtually a single injury (I think a collarbone in '92 was his worst break), and wanted to get out fit and healthy. But I think he may have outscored Loram over six rounds - he finished '99 in excellent form.

All the best

Rob

Sorry to see him go he has been a great ambassador for the sport and should be recognised as one of the speedway greats IMO, I think the injuries or the last couple have taken the edge of him and probably played a big part in his decision.I think he gave a hint in one of his interviews at Vojens that he recognised was not he force he was and his best GP days were behind him.Good luck to him in the rest of his career.

Leigh Adams finished about 11th so it's entirely irrelevant.

yeah you are right. I looked at the start list and not at the results table. :oops::blink:

What a shame.... Jason is and probably will be for some time IMHO the greatest ever grand prix rider

Not just for his points haul or top step finishes but also for the gutsy attitude he brings ... a never say die attitude combined with some extremely smart thinking............ Gollob has the outrageous moves but Crumpy has the overall package

Despite the shock of the news I cant help feeling already that he is doing the right thing....... we've all seen it with riders down the years... he had one crash too many and has come back from the burns a more cautious rider..... the last thing i'd want to see is a decline

He should be very proud of his GP career and the way that he handled himself overall....... hope he has a great swan song in Torun

Should a rider or riders who have qualified directly, either by being in the top 8 of the Final Overall Grand Prix Classification or in the top 3 of the FIM Grand Prix qualification system, withdraw prior to the start of the Grand Prix season, Chris Harris shall replace him or them.

FIM have just said the above is the new rule for 2013
  • Like 1

A great rider and a great guy. I remember him at the WSRA dinner a few years ago. He was the guest speaker. As he spoke, Ove Fundin got up to take a photo of him and Jason stopped in his tracks and said, "I can't believe it. The great Ove Fundin taking a photo of me!"

yep agree with all the comments regarding his riding and what he had done in speedway, a great rider. as a person dont like the guy at all and never have.

Had a quick look last nigth but can anyone confirm that Crumpys 10 consecutive seasons (2001 to 2010) on the World Championship podium is a record. Record or not it's an impressive achievement.

Had a quick look last nigth but can anyone confirm that Crumpys 10 consecutive seasons (2001 to 2010) on the World Championship podium is a record. Record or not it's an impressive achievement.

Read somewhere that he equalled Ove Fundin? with that.

Fundin did have 10 consecutive top 3 positions 1956-1965

Correct. Jason equalled Ove's record.