British Speedway Forum

I have upgraded several times, clearly was a big deal for you.

I can see why the mods thought you were kks, its all that crap about what superb racing you get at Lakeside that probably did it.

No, never ever said it was superb. but it is light years better than in the Ronnie Russell days, and not as bad as the chip-on the shoulder brigade who don't like Jon Cook like to pretend, and a number of independent posters who get around a lot of tracks share my view.

The bottom line, that you can't get round I that it is not the Lakeside promotion that is talking about closure it is Peterboro's so Cook and Douglas must be doing something right. However much you chip away at other clubs it is not going to improve Panthers chances of getting bigger crowds.

Try growing up a bit and think about how lucky you are to have a promoter that is keeping your club a float rather than wishing failure on other clubs (which in Lakesides case ain't gonna happen in the foreseeable)

Quite agree, some folk dont know the difference between riding and racing it seems .......

....and some don't know the difference between constructive debate and drivel.

I don't know quite how to break this to you but its a free country and nobody forces you to go to any speedway track you don't like so if you don't like Lakeside, fine, don't go. Nobody cares if you don't go and nobody cares why you don't go. The regular fans will still go however much you vent your spleen on the subject.

Might be a good idea if instead you go to a séance and try to get in touch with the living.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

No, never ever said it was superb. but it is light years better than in the Ronnie Russell days, and not as bad as the chip-on the shoulder brigade who don't like Jon Cook like to pretend, and a number of independent posters who get around a lot of tracks share my view.

The bottom line, that you can't get round I that it is not the Lakeside promotion that is talking about closure it is Peterboro's so Cook and Douglas must be doing something right. However much you chip away at other clubs it is not going to improve Panthers chances of getting bigger crowds.

Try growing up a bit and think about how lucky you are to have a promoter that is keeping your club a float rather than wishing failure on other clubs (which in Lakesides case ain't gonna happen in the foreseeable)

I don't know quite how to break this to you but its a free country and nobody forces you to go to any speedway track you don't like so if you don't like Lakeside, fine, don't go. Nobody cares if you don't go and nobody cares why you don't go. The regular fans will still go however much you vent your spleen on the subject.

Might be a good idea if instead you go to a séance and try to get in touch with the living.

As long as you enjoy your speedway thats all that matters. I hope the Hammers have a good year, after 2012 you deserve it and then some. Must go, off to a seance now... :cheers:

In my opinion, watching high class riders on any track is worth the admission money.

Nikki Pedersen turning on a sixpence at Eastbourne, Leigh Adams in total control at Lakeside, in previous years, Mauger at Exeter, Collins at the old BelleVue. Even Ben Barker at the St Boniface Arena was mustard to watch on their tiny circuit. The different shapes and sizes of British tracks make it so unique compared to the relatively similar tracks in Sweden and Poland.

• Like 2

In my opinion, watching high class riders on any track is worth the admission money.

Nikki Pedersen turning on a sixpence at Eastbourne, Leigh Adams in total control at Lakeside, in previous years, Mauger at Exeter, Collins at the old BelleVue. Even Ben Barker at the St Boniface Arena was mustard to watch on their tiny circuit. The different shapes and sizes of British tracks make it so unique compared to the relatively similar tracks in Sweden and Poland.

Back when i first started going,every team had an in and out no1 you might often only see them once a year.That was the big thing for me seeing great individual stars so every week there was something to look forward to.

Very good point about the difference in track size :approve:

I must admit that when I have watched Polish Speedway on the internet for all the big stars competing I wondered what all the fuss was about.

The only thing is you don't necessarily need high class riders - anyone who watches either Mildenhall or Dudley will tell you that. In my experience, those two tracks offer the best speedway for the money in the country.

Perhaps the fact that Peterborough's gates are about half Lakeside's is why Frost & Co are talking closure and Douglas & Cook aren't.

Perhaps the fact that Peterborough's gates are about half Lakeside's is why Frost & Co are talking closure and Douglas & Cook aren't.

Where did you get those figures from ? If Lakeside get an average 2500 plus gate to double that of P'boro, then they must have been wearing invisible clothing whenever i have been there.. Edited by blupanther

There have been a number of press reports both in the UK and Poland that Lewis Bridger has signed a contract to ride for ROW Rybnik in Polish League Divison II this season. For the avoidance of any doubt, this is not correct and no contract has been signed.

A contract has been signed and Lewis will be riding for rybnik

There have been a number of press reports both in the UK and Poland that Lewis Bridger has signed a contract to ride for ROW Rybnik in Polish League Divison II this season. For the avoidance of any doubt, this is not correct and no contract has been signed.

48 hours is a long time in Speedway!!!! :D

That is true. I think it all started back in Peter Thorogood's time as promoter when there was not much money and he had a lot of clay mixed in the material to save money on having much dirt on the track, because in those days there really wasn't much money. Then when Ronnie took over he continued with that policy which really wasn't good enough for top league racing and to be honest I thought it was dire and couldn't be bothered with it myself in those days. It is much different since Stuart Douglas took over, especially the last 3 or 4 years, and the riders, especially Dave Watt seem to have some input these days. There is no doubt the crowds are much higher than they were in Ronnie's day which is a reflection of the racing.

Bottom line is that it is as reasonably sound financially as you are ever likely to get these days and speedway needs every club it can get to stay open so I don't see why people have to knock it, or Eastbourne for that matter. Unfortunately we always get the puerile remarks from the attention seeking KKS/blupanthe rcamp

just to put this right.....when arena essex track was put in. it was done by my dad (maurice morley) and peter thorogood.....NO clay was added to save money, but the shale that was laid has clay in to bind. the promotion was chick woodruff and wally mawdsley promotions and those two put the money together.

lewis has put it on facebook that he has officially signed for rybnic in the 2nd league

So Lewis turns up with an upright! What is that all about?

So Lewis turns up with an upright! What is that all about?

Due to the event being cancelled twice, Lewis's 2013 bikes were all broken down for anodising and he did not have a bike available, so he either opted out of the meeting or turned up and had a go. As he need to get a few laps under his belt, he decided to have a go, especially as he had a very competitive Jawa engine tested and ready to use, which would probably have caused a few surprises! Unfortunately he blew that engine up whilst practicing on Thursday afternoon, leaving him little time to find another engine and fit it into the bike. He didn't finish building the bike until 3am on the morning of the meeting and given the travel time from Brighton to Somerset it gave him no opportunity to test it. Hence he was uncompetitive on the night, until he borrowed a bike for his final ride.

Edited by Animal

“Please don't get me wrong, Eastbourne are a great club and over the years they have done a lot for me, the fans have been great, but at times I felt as I was not being pushed and therefore I needed a new challenge.”

Bridgers words, not mine. Lewis to get where were we want to in this world, we have to push ourselves, you had the talent and promise as a 16 year old but let outside influences block your progress. Time to stand up and show British speedway and Lakeside you can be that rider.

Im not that convinced with the Lakeside team, Bridger and Worrall certainly have improvement in them but not so sure about the rest. Cant see Lakeside doing much away but IF they do manage to pick up a couple of away wins then they may sneak a P/O spot but i cant see it.