British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

What does surprise me is the various tourist boards and development agencies that sponsor GP rounds never follow this up with rv adverts to back up their marketing campaign.

They probably have a fixed budget to get events to their locations, and presumably think speedway fans would have already gone to the GP if they had any interest in going.

I would think that the whole point of these tourist boards sponsoring GP rounds is for tv exposure to attract people to their city as you say speedway fans that follow every GP will go anyway it's trying to attract the armchair viewers who may go Gorzow,leszno or wherever for a holiday

<p>If we end up streaming the gp's online,we wont have to listen to kelvin tatums catchphrases lol. No more blankets or firing on all cylinders lol

Edited by nickwolves

<p>If we end up streaming the gp's online,we wont have to listen to kelvin tatums catchphrases lol. No more blankets or firing on all cylinders lol

I've always thought 'firing on all cylinders' was a good one. I always think 'just the one?'

USTREAM only signed for ten GPs last year, starting with the Czech Republic Speedway Grand Prix on 12th May. I am not aware of them agreeing a new deal for 2013. That said, I'm sure something will be concluded for streaming, especially if no deal is signed between SKY.

Edited by SGP

BSI are no mugs. They will have got some of their sponsors on board on the strength of TV coverage - in UK and elsewhere! I can't see them allowing that sponsorship to be at risk!

BSI are no mugs. They will have got some of their sponsors on board on the strength of TV coverage - in UK and elsewhere! I can't see them allowing that sponsorship to be at risk!

Let's hope you are right. :unsure: :unsure:

Magnificent quote from Sky, justifying the peeing away of subscribers' money on ludicriously over the top "coverage"

“Given the extra hours and programming we dedicate to each race and the days and weeks in between, we don’t measure our success by viewing figures,”

• Like 2

SEEMS that F1 didn't fare that well on Sky last year either

An average of 2.2 million viewers per GP still compares very favourably to the 75K that speedway gets, and I'd have thought even cricket doesn't get much more than that on Sky.

I'd agree that most of what's on the dedicated F1 channel is a complete waste of time, although I do quite like watching the GP2 and GP3 support races.

Magnificent quote from Sky, justifying the peeing away of subscribers' money on ludicriously over the top "coverage"

“Given the extra hours and programming we dedicate to each race and the days and weeks in between, we don’t measure our success by viewing figures,”

Remember 'LOST'.... you'd think SKY would learn.

An average of 2.2 million viewers per GP still compares very favourably to the 75K that speedway gets, and I'd have thought even cricket doesn't get much more than that on Sky.

But does it though,advertising space is bound to cost more for the F1 coverage than any for GP speedway,so a return of only 2.2 million might not be that great,must admit though Im surprised its that high.Ive always thought Sky were reasonably happy with the viewing figures for speedway though with the money Sky are throwing at PL football it could well be that speedways days are numbered.

When I looked speedways was always 1 or 2 on that weeks viewing on whatever channel it was on, do there's only rarely something watched more so surely it's a success?

When I looked speedways was always 1 or 2 on that weeks viewing on whatever channel it was on, do there's only rarely something watched more so surely it's a success?

I think that's true but from my understanding is that Sky ain't getting the returns from sponsorship / advertising. Viewing figures ain't the problem