British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Irk Deflector

24th August 2013 Gp Challenge @ Poole

Not really chap did`nt think they would get close at all with some of the quality on show but you`re lads must be disappointed !! Glug Glug.............

What a sad life you must have as surely more interested in what happened to Magic,THJ & Pawlicki than the Swindon riders.

gate 4 looked impossible all night. shame that happened on such a big night as some riders would have had 2 gate 4's so chances of a good score were reduced

back to tonights meeting. was there a decent size crowd, was the racing any good and was it worth 25 quid to get in! :unsure:

KK too crap to qualify by top 8 but can qualify through this weaker meeting every year? That's worse than Harris!

People care what people think...just not when it's the same thing over and over and over and over and over....

Touché!

I really shouldn't get so irate, apologies for my inane rambling. Too many glasses of red…

On a more positive note, I actually think a German in the series will be good for speedway as a whole. I can't see Smolinski finishing in the top 8 overall, but his inclusion should raise more interest in that part of Europe.

JT.

KK too crap to qualify by top 8 but can qualify through this weaker meeting every year? That's worse than Harris!

I lean towards agreeing but the GP has 15 permanent riders so someone has to finish 9th -15th.

Is he in the top 15 ? I'd say Yes when on top form as Cardiff would show

This meeting will always be weaker than the GP's for obvious reasons. Cant blame the rider, blame the system.

I would prefer an old style GP challenge that put the bottom 7 in the standings, if fit, against 9 non GP riders who come through the quali rounds. Have the top 4-5 go to the next years series with 2-3 spots available for nominated wild cards. Also go back to regionalized qualifying meetings (Overseas Final / Scandanavian / Continental, etc) to cut down on riders travelling and make these meetings more appealing to fans. JMO.

Where did i say he shouldnt of taken it?? What i said was IMO its embarrassing he keeps being offered when he is plainly not good enough!! Couldnt give a monkeys how he rides Peterborough.

Embarrassing - again, why are you embarrassed? You didn't say he shouldn't have taken it but your post definitely came across as though you were having a go at Harris himself, just like JT's continuous message tonight.

Of course everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of the bile directed at Chris Harris on here is totally unjust imo, he always gives his all whenever he rides, whoever he rides for, he's put bums on seats at plenty of tracks and I'm struggling to think of a more consistently exciting British rider over recent years.

Of course he's not hit the heights we all wanted for him when he set Cardiff alight back in 07 but I don't think anyone could say it's not for the want of trying.

If you weren't having a go at Harris himself then fair enough but that's not what came across.

If your point is directed at the people who have given him the chances then why not say so and use their names, instead of bashing the rider?

• Like 5

The only difference is that Kasper actually qualifies by his own performance unlike Harris who have needed a wild card for all seasons except one.

In my opinion that makes Kasper a better rider then Harris. I am not particular excited about KK or Bjerre or Smolinski either

but they actually got this far by doing better then all the others riders (including Chris Harris) who entered this years Grand Prix Qualification.

And they did not need a wild card to get this far unlike two of the riders that participated tonight.

back to tonights meeting. was there a decent size crowd, was the racing any good and was it worth 25 quid to get in! :unsure:

I was expecting a bigger crowd-disappointing I would describe it as-I was behind glass but racing was pretty dire for such an important meeting(my view you will understand)

INCIDENTALLY, if riders are tied for fourth there will not be a run-off ... final placings determined on count back (wins, seconds, etc).

Did King finish ahead of Kennett and Nicholls in the qualifiers? Cannot remember...

WILL get Tony Steele to clarify on Monday exactly how Harris got in ...

This is what I heard today - Bomber was offered number 18 which the few that were asked turned it down as they normally sit around doing nothing. The fim took the decision to ask gb to provide a No18 which Kennett and Cook turned down. Bomber grabbed it and after 2 late pull outs of first reserve Pavlic and Zagar he found himself in the meeting
  • Like 2

The only difference is that Kasper actually qualifies by his own performance unlike Harris who have needed a wild card for all seasons except one.

In my opinion that makes Kasper a better rider then Harris. I am not particular excited about KK or Bjerre or Smolinski either

but they actually got this far by doing better then all the others riders (including Chris Harris) who entered this years Grand Prix Qualification.

And they did not need a wild card to get this far unlike two of the riders that participated tonight.

Can't argue with you on the Kasper/Harris score, KK has had to do it the hard way and Chris has been given the ticket for being the best of British, I don't think there's much between them in terms of winning ability though and I'd rather watch Harris race any day of the week, each to their own though.

As for the others, Bjerre is the least interesting of them all for me but, as someone pointed out earlier, he was leading after 2 gp's a couple of years ago, so maybe he will do something next year, I don't find him very exciting to watch though.

I like what I've seen of Smolinski in the Elite League, I like his character to, always interviews well, but this is a massive step up, equipment will be a factor and from what I gather he's not known for having the best kept machinery.

Can't argue with you on the Kasper/Harris score, KK has had to do it the hard way and Chris has been given the ticket for being the best of British, I don't think there's much between them in terms of winning ability though and I'd rather watch Harris race any day of the week, each to their own though.

As for the others, Bjerre is the least interesting of them all for me but, as someone pointed out earlier, he was leading after 2 gp's a couple of years ago, so maybe he will do something next year, I don't find him very exciting to watch though.

I like what I've seen of Smolinski in the Elite League, I like his character to, always interviews well, but this is a massive step up, equipment will be a factor and from what I gather he's not known for having the best kept machinery.

Smolinski certainly kept his British equipment going for the first 5 months of the season !!

What a sad life you must have as surely more interested in what happened to Magic,THJ & Pawlicki than the Swindon riders.

yes very sad lol I didn't expect any of the poole riders to qualify but Batch is forever boring everyone that he clearly is good enough for the Gp's but obviously isn't and as for kildemand enough said. So lets see what brings of Monday , and I have a great life thanks loads of friends and family to keep me smiling :-)

Smolinski certainly kept his British equipment going for the first 5 months of the season !!

True and I really wish him well, I'm sure if he can use GP status correctly back home he will be able to garner some decent sponsorship, Germans like their motorsport don't they, talk of a GP there too, looks like it may be a big big year for Martin, good luck to him.

What I would like to have said was 'A truly fantastic evening of speedway with several exciting passes both inside and out. Clearly the Poole fans have been spoilt over the years and never again will I refer to Wimbourne Road as Blue Groove Road with this fantastically well prepared track'.

Unfortunately, the track was such a dust bowl that the reserves this evening were Tendulkar and Dravid. Disappointing fare for £25 to be honest and next time Poole want to host an event of this magnitude please tell them where they can shove(or should that be Shovlar) it :P :lol:

Well done to PUK who was the evening's outstanding rider and qualified in style.