British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Roads Named After Speedway Riders ?

Not sure of the names but aren't some of the roads built on the old Blackbird Road stadium in Leicester named after speedway riders?

No

There's a Coles Mews & Sanford Place on the old County Ground site

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

snapback.pngSTARRGAZER1, on 08 February 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Not sure of the names but aren't some of the roads built on the old Blackbird Road stadium in Leicester named after speedway riders?

No

No

I stand corrected but there is a Wiltshire Ave at the back

Edited by STARRGAZER1

No

Actually, there is a Wilson Road in Leicester, so you were right Stargazzer!!

I spent the early years of my life living in a house within 100 yards of the stadium. I agree with what you say about the Lokoren disaster and rider control but I think the real problem was that the stands were life -expired and a fire hazard by the early 1970's and would have cost too much money to replace even though the stadium was getting revenue from dog racing and stock cars as well as speedway. There had already been a fire in that resulted in the demolition of the stands on the back straight and that was the beginning of the end for a stadium that was built to 1920's standards. It was a great stadium and track though. Brandon reminds me of it a bit. It is a great pity though that none of the streets were named after the West Ham riders of later years. It would have been great to see Harrfeldt Close, McKinlay Avenue or Loftqvist Lane !

you make some very good points about the wooden stands at west ham. although the back straight enclosure was already demolished by the time i made my first visit to custom house in 1970. belle vue (hyde road) was mostly an all wooden stadium and survived until 1987, so west ham stadium might have lasted for a few more years, if not for london speedway's biggest enemy, the GRA.

Wooden stands and stadia only really got the kiss of death post the Valley Parade (Bradford City FC) fire. Wonder actually how the wooden terracing at Plough Lane has continued to get a safety cert.

There is a Havelock road near Derwent Park!

And outside the Millenium Stadium.

Theres also a Stadium Close on the site of the old Penarth Road Stadium in Cardiff.

Wooden stands and stadia only really got the kiss of death post the Valley Parade (Bradford City FC) fire. Wonder actually how the wooden terracing at Plough Lane has continued to get a safety cert.

i was working at plough lane post bradford fire when the stadium failed a safety inspection big time. there were hordes of paint and programmes dating back to the 1930's stored in rooms directly below the wooden terracing. it took a mammoth effort to get the whole lot cleared out. the celings beneath the terracing were then fire cladded to obtain a safety certificate. this work enabled the 1985 greyhound derby final to take place, the first one staged since the closure of white city.
  • Like 1

i was working at plough lane post bradford fire when the stadium failed a safety inspection big time. there were hordes of paint and programmes dating back to the 1930's stored in rooms directly below the wooden terracing. it took a mammoth effort to get the whole lot cleared out. the celings beneath the terracing were then fire cladded to obtain a safety certificate. this work enabled the 1985 greyhound derby final to take place, the first one staged since the closure of white city.

Pity you couldn't have got hold of the Programmes. They would probably be worth a few bob nowadays.

Pity you couldn't have got hold of the Programmes. They would probably be worth a few bob nowadays.

unfortunately they were all dog programmes of no interest to me. the only speedway items i found were some plaster busts of norman parker dating back to the 1940's. i think i still have one somewhere at my parent's house.

No

Not sure of the speedway connection with Leicester there and Wiltshire Road was there before the stadium was demolished anyway, the houses were at the back of the old back straight. I think there are a few houses on the stretch of Parker Drive near the old entrance that are addressed Stadium Rise

Edited by oldace

There is a Havelock Road close to the Millenium Stadium. Named in the former World Champions honour after a spectacular drunken fanzone with Sean Wilson on Sky Sports one year ;-)

Edited by Hackett
  • Like 1

Every town in the UK has a High Street ..... Named after Antonio Lindback ;)