British Speedway Forum

So darcy ward is injured and replaced by iversen who just happens to be in the team who could be there biggest challengers for the league. Of all the daft rules in our sport surely the guest system is the most laughable I cannot believe after all this time we cannot sort out something better than this. Just heard gareth bale is being replaced by giggs for 2 weeks ,sounds ridiculous dosent it

Instead of asking why, I am pretty sure we all know why, why don't you give us a viable alternative. And while we are on the subject of why. Why oh why do we insist (and I am as guilty as the next man) on comparing ourselves to a sport that seems to operate in its own financial heaven? You cant compare the two sports and thank god for that.

• Like 2

No different to footballers going out on loan to other clubs, then going back to their own clubs again. How many footballers out on loan at the moment, perhaps 200

Speedway compared to football is well run

Ipswich football club just released their figures for last year and they lost £16m last year to take their total debt up to £80million. This is from a club that only went broke a decade ago.knocking all the local tradesmen.

P.s They also have 7 players on loan and virtually no assets.

Edited by mickthemuppet

So darcy ward is injured and replaced by iversen who just happens to be in the team who could be there biggest challengers for the league. Of all the daft rules in our sport surely the guest system is the most laughable I cannot believe after all this time we cannot sort out something better than this. Just heard gareth bale is being replaced by giggs for 2 weeks ,sounds ridiculous dosent it

Alternatives :-

Put a junior rider in instead, and the fans complaining that the standard is rubbish and complaining about their team getting beat. What happens when you have more than one rider missing.

Have a pool of riders, Where are they coming from, and how does a rider exist financially if he is expected to have top gear already ready, waiting in case he gets the call to ride.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 5

Isn't all team motorsport the same???

In F1 injured drivers can be replaced by another teams reserve or test driver. In bike & some other 4 wheel track racing it's been known for injured factory riders / drivers to have the same championship independants to come in.

Squad systems keep getting mentioned in British speedway but it would create more expense to promotors as less meeting for riders would mean retaining fees would have to be paid. That just isn't affordable

Oh well that's me told your all obviously happy with the guest rule. Sorry but I'm not ok were not football BUT we are supposed to be a professional sport and with this rule we make ourselves look daft.

Oh well that's me told your all obviously happy with the guest rule. Sorry but I'm not ok were not football BUT we are supposed to be a professional sport and with this rule we make ourselves look daft.

That doesn't answer the question about an alternative System though. I don't think that MOST Speedway Supporters like the 'Guest System' but what else can we do? As has already been pointed out - if you get hammered at Home every week because you are filling in with Juniors people will stop attending - once they are lost to Speedway it is b****y difficult to get them back. We found THAT out at Sunderland near enough forty years ago. As has been said, a Pool (no pun intended) of Riders is far too expensive and would not be workable anyway. What Rider worth his salt would be prepared to sit in the Pits week after week with no Rides if there were no injuries. The Squad rotation System wouldn't work either because Riders need MORE Rides not less.

I appreciate what you are saying Rob - BUT - I can't think of any other workable System - can you?

Until that question is answered, I guess we are stuck with 'Guest Riders'.

Edited by The White Knight

That's fine and dandy. But. Give me a viable alternative.

In the bad old days of speedway, if a team had a heat leader out they used rider replacement. If both teams had any of their 1 to 3 out both teams promoted their 4th highest rider then moved the highest reserve up the order, then brought in their No. 8 at reserve. But as this was the bad old days and its now better to have any Tom, Dick or Harry in your team.

• Like 5

As has been said,, I feel that the vast majority of fans DO dislike the guest system, but again, what are the options? The age-old habit of comparing speedway to football is totally ridiculous, as the loss of a top rider really does impact the team much more than it does in football.

Should we grab guests every time a rider is missing? Of course not. Replacing him with a junior is not always good, particularly away from home. A squad is a great idea, but again, what happens if your best two riders are injured or unavailable? You're back to square one...

Steve

I can't understand why so many contributors to this and other speedway forums insist on continually comparing the sport to football.

Sadly speedway is regarded as a minor sport. This has been the case for many years as witnessed by the the fact that routine results are rarely available in the popular national daily press. Even when they are a powerful magnyfing glass is required to read them.

I wonder if there is any way we, as dedicated speedway supporters, can influence the national daily press to include even the weekly league matches in the sports results section?

The Elite League at least seemed to be moving in the right direction (IMHO) towards a squad system, with each team having a #8 and pairs of double-uppers.

However, this season DUers have been reduced to single riders and the concept of having a #8 appears to have been dropped, although not officially announced as far as I can see.

Personally I think teams should be made to bite the bullet. Their #8 comes in at the bottom of the team and then every other rider moves up a place.

As many people have said there seems to be no better way of replacing an injured number 1.

My annoyance is with the rule that allows a guest for the higher averaged reserve. It seems obvious to me that a guest from a lopwer league (not an old timer though) would be a much better and fairer solution and would give opportunities for younger lower league riders to show a wider audience what they can do..

It's not an ideal situation but look at it another way, with Darcy look would score 45, take Darcy out and put in their squad rider who would be a 3 point, who goes no and score 2 instead of Darcys 12, suddenly Poole only score 35 and the meeting is a bit pants. The fans want to see big names, not 3 point quad members. and who would the squad riders be? Because surely it would be a joke to use PL teams riders?

It's a necessary evil IMO

An even bigger frustration of mine on this one is that in November poor old Puk was threatening to quit British speedway as we had too many meetings yet here he is taking on an extra meeting. Sounds like an ideal guest for Poole, he has 0 integrity.

THINK that is very unfair on Niels. He has to earn money and shouldn't be castigated for taking an extra booking in the UK when he has already missed out on two in Poland.

• Like 1