British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Berwick V Redcar Koc 13 Apr @ 7pm

You would like to think so, but the year we were challenging for the league was one of the worst we had for crowds in Peter's time: he told me people stopped going because we were winning so easily.

I wasn't referring to you Jim, we were having a discussion about what you just asked.

That is very different from moaning for the sake of it, or without thinking.

Even I was moaning last night: it was just an off-night for us, and a good night for the Bears.

As you walk round tracks, it's what you overwhelmingly over-hear, though.

It makes for a gloomy atmosphere. Not much smiling and jocularity going on.

The Supporters' Club guys on the 3rd bend are a breath of fresh air, getting behind the team and in a lively way.

That creates a completely different atmosphere to be around.

It'll not have escaped your attention that they were quite vocal against the team half way through the meeting as well, though :)

The fans, as a whole, are going to have to take a bit of responsibility within the sport, instead of taking any opportunity to knock it, the track, the promotion, the riders, the authorities, etc.

If the fan base carries on doing this, then they'll have to find something else to greet about on a Saturday night.

Frustration among a lot of fans IMO.
  • Like 3

Frustration among a lot of fans IMO.

Undoubtedly, but there is a certain culture within the fans that needs to change.

We don't need to become all happy clappy, but we do need to have at least some sort of positive change.

I really think that a section in the programme where the riders rate the track each with, and give their reasons would be a good addition.

It would either take some of the frustration away - if the riders think the same - or give the fans a bit more of an informed opinion.

I remember before the mid-week Plymouth meeting last year thinking it was going to be a disaster.

Turned out to be meeting of the year.

The plan fact of the matter is it would appear that after three meetings we may have made a boo boo by not signing Micky Dyer instead of Edberg but that's what we have got. We also know Edberg can at least round Berwick score points. So Ian Rae step up to the mark get your Paulo Di Canio hat on and kick some ass remind them who pays there wages and what makes the fans turn up and if that don't work then kick them some more.

• Like 1

The plan fact of the matter is it would appear that after three meetings we may have made a boo boo by not signing Micky Dyer instead of Edberg but that's what we have got. We also know Edberg can at least round Berwick score points. So Ian Rae step up to the mark get your Paulo Di Canio hat on and kick some ass remind them who pays there wages and what makes the fans turn up and if that don't work then kick them some more.

To me a boot up the backside was more what was required rather than track prep. last night.

We looked as if we thought we had it won before turning a whee.

Redcar were much hungrier through the first 2 bends.

We all saw how hard it was after that point.

I think Matty Wethers should be singled-out for his tremendous battling though.

His hard won points have kept us in the tie.

• Like 4

I think its fair to say that if it was possible to pass we would of won that, hope razor gives them a good team talk and they go and kick ass on thursday, c'mon the mighties

I would not get to wound up about this result, over a season things can change.

Mind you at the start of season the form books do seem to be overturning and it looks like there could be one or two surprises along the way this season

I still cannot believe or understand why Berwick did not bring back Micky Dyer, when Berwick came to Sheffield last season and turned us over he was very much one of the reasons for that good win.

If it was my club the only question that I would be asking the Promotion how much or did the fact that Alex Edberg Dad promising to buy the clubs race suits (very nice race suits) sway them to maybe go with Alex rather than Micky.

But Redcar have made a very indifferent start to the season, so maybe Berwick could well comeback in this tie.

I dont think the only reason that Edbergs in the team is to do with the racesuits,but you can bet it wasnt half a good bargining chip when it came to talking over a 2013 contract.

Im sure Dyer was on Berwicks radar at the end of last season,but it wouldve been daft not to sign Barrett given his starting average and Edberg is an asset,so was likely to get a place,race suits or not.One possibility of course was to buy Dyer as an asset but with the club being strapped for cash and the whole asset system up in the air it might not have been the wisest investment.

Last word on the subject.

The race suits question is a valid one, gives a more professional approach and help towards attracting sponsors and the fact that someone was prepared to pay with strings attached.

I don't buy into that every club missed out on Dyer, Dyer is a Swindon asset, so with Dyer finishing with Berwick at the end of the season Berwick would have been given first chance to talk to him.

Nobody else 'spin king has mentioned that Micky is a Swindon asset,and i hope he might get a few chances with us he has a good long term future in the sport hopefully with the Robins!

Dyer is actually an Edinburgh asset as it says in the teams & riders section that he is a rider out on loan on the monarchs website.

Dyer is actually an Edinburgh asset as it says in the teams & riders section that he is a rider out on loan on the monarchs website.

Not so sure on that one.

But WHY is the fan base dwindling that is the question, not the grumpy old me who bore the t*ts of you on a SAT.. :blink:

Is the problem not more that each race is now a race between four engine tuners instead of four riders.Get each track to own 14 bikes numbered 1 to 14.Referee draws rider's name from a hat (both home and away riders) and bike number from another hat.I know it could never work but it might be intersting to see what would happen.

Some sad people on here. Not least the self-appointed "Berwick promotion-hater".

Some points:

Your track has been hard and slick this year, possibly due to exceptionally cold weather. Certainly needs more racing lines.

Micky Dyer is an Edinburgh asset (true to form, the dodgy dealer at Swindon failed to pay for an agreed transfer from Dudley, he reverted to being available and Edinburgh signed him). His 4.54 CMA quite probably wouldn't have suited the planned 1-7 considered at Berwick prior to Seb's fairly-late withdrawal, and yes, the loan fee might also come into their budgetary thinking..

I see Alex Edberg scored paid six on Saturday, and to blame him for the narrow defeat is ridiculous. Robin Asprgren and Kozza Smith, both high on anybody's list of favourite Bandits each scored 4 points, but Alex gets the blame?

A bad night at the office, move on. Must do better next week. Not the end of the border world.

Edited by luluthetiger
  • Like 4

Is patryk dudek eligible for the 21s final at berwick? He passes all sortsa big names in poland like er craig cook er krystof buzckowski..... bet you he cant get near bellego if he makes the start

Is patryk dudek eligible for the 21s final at berwick? He passes all sortsa big names in poland like er craig cook er krystof buzckowski..... bet you he cant get near bellego if he makes the start

Yes, he isn't 21 until later this year. But why bring this up on this thread?

Poles can't ride in the Premier League, so if you're wanting a team change, that's a no-no.

If you want to start discussing the U-21 meeting -- and yes, let's do so -- we want a thread in the proper section, no?

David Bellego will be hoping to qualify for the three Finals, but he isn't there yet, of course.