British Speedway Forum
hiley

Starting On Time

Took this from the Swindon webpage, the fixtures section.

Please note that the fixtures and dates below are subject to change at short notice.All home matches start at 7.30pm (parade 7.20pm), unless otherwise stated.

Does your local club start its fixtures on time? I froze waiting at Swindon recently, and while not blaming Patch and Rosco for the weather, they always seem to start late. And they can't claim big queues outside waiting to get in. I'm sure this is the same with many clubs, and even when rain is threatened they seem incapable of getting a move on.

Promoters please note!

Edited by hiley

Reading never seemed to start on time at Smallmead and, on my trips to Blunsdon, Swindon seem not to. Their local news reporter Andy Warren times the start of each race, so its easy to check on the Swindon Advertiser site.

Unless there is a compelling reason not to its just unfair on the fans who have got there on time after work etc and with work the next morning.

I see Birmingham finished their 15 races just before 9pm last night.

Poole usually start the Rider Parade at 7.30, with first race at 7.45pm and are usually spot-on! If bad weather is forecast, then they dispense with the parade and go straight in with the racing. On Good Friday they started bang on 12 noon, as advertised, but the meeting took nearly 2 and a half hours to complete with track work, fence repairs and rider injuries!!

if you want to go to meetings that start on time dont go to milldenhall as they never seem keen to start on time

Kings Lynn tend to start on time. 7.30pm parade, 7.45pm first race. If there is a big queue outside they do delay the parade 5-10 mins, but still seem to start first race around 7.45pm.

Not really sure why lots of people always seem to turn up at the last minute...does annoy me when things are delayed due to queues still outside when I've made an effort to get there on time. You never hear of football kick off being delayed due to queues outside.

It is a 2 way thing though - if promoters were more professional in running a tight ship, then punters would know better where they stood.

Seemed to stand around for ages in the cold waiting for a "dodgy" parade to end at the Coventry versus Birmingham match. From where we stood, we really didn't know or see what was going on.. just a load of white noise and inane chatter from Yorkie.

I have long wondered why people on speedway forums continually compare the sport to football. There are so few ways in which a reasonable comparison con be made in the 21st century.

How can a minor entertainment which cannot attract a crowd to a stadium the size of the GRA stadium at Kirkmanshulme Lane to a spectacle which can fill a Premier League football staduim where spectators numbering many thousands converge every Saturday/Sunday.

Kings Lynn tend to start on time. 7.30pm parade, 7.45pm first race. If there is a big queue outside they do delay the parade 5-10 mins, but still seem to start first race around 7.45pm.

Not really sure why lots of people always seem to turn up at the last minute...does annoy me when things are delayed due to queues still outside when I've made an effort to get there on time. You never hear of football kick off being delayed due to queues outside.

It is a 2 way thing though - if promoters were more professional in running a tight ship, then punters would know better where they stood.

I beg to differ - you do on occasions.

Seemed to stand around for ages in the cold waiting for a "dodgy" parade to end at the Coventry versus Birmingham match. From where we stood, we really didn't know or see what was going on.. just a load of white noise and inane chatter from Yorkie.

Coventry are serial offenders, and starting at 8 you'd think they'd want to get on with it.

IT'S not rocket science ... GPs start to the second let alone minute. Okay, that is a TV requirement but could be achieved anyway.

Meetings, and each heat, are started when the riders and the referee are ready, it seems to me. Just part of the generally poor presentation these days.

In the early days of the sport, some tracks had start times against each race in the programme, as is done with greyhound races. Can't really see that catching on these days!

Things would move along much quicker with the simple but effective GP style 2mins system.

Call the 2mins & all rider's have to be ready to race or excluded when the clock hits 0. That alone would make meetings run so much smoothly I have no doubt.

Edited by screamer

Agree with the prompt start times, keep the meeting flowing if possible and the interest up. I know its not always possible with re starts and falls, etc but it can only be a good thing to have a definite start time, especially in the cold weather we have been experiencing lately.

Things would move along much quicker with the simple but effective GP style 2mins system.

Call the 2mins & all rider's have to be ready to race or excluded when the clock hits 0. That alone would make meetings run so much smoothly I have no doubt.

I thought this happened everywhere!!!! :shock:

To be fair this was a new style parade for the opening meeting and I don't think things went exactly to plan, hence the delay. For the second meeting against Belle Vue everything was running very smoothly and as soon as the race results were announced the 2 minutes was put on for the next race. That was until Adam's unfortunate accident. :neutral:

To look on the bright side at least Peter York no longer commentates on the last 2 laps, which is what 99% of Coventry fans continually criticized so we can put up with his other chatter.