British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

British Speedway Memories Book

BRITISH SPEEDWAY MEMORIES

LATER this year we at Retro Speedway will publish a new book called BRITISH SPEEDWAY MEMORIES. As the title suggests, it will be a compilation of special memories as recalled by supporters of our wonderful family sport.

It doesn’t matter which era of speedway’s history you treasure most . . . whether your interest dates back to the post-war boom period or you have only been following the sport for a short while, we all have special moments in time and favourites we like to remember and reflect upon with pleasure. Now let’s share them among each other for our mutual enjoyment.

The idea is that we are going to record all of your thoughts and memories in one convenient place that will never be far from reach – hence BRITISH SPEEDWAY MEMORIES.

All you have to do to be part of it and ensure your name is included in the book is answer the following 10 simple questions. If not all, then as many as you can.

Firstly, please state YOUR NAME, POSTAL ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS & PHONE NUMBER

(Don’t worry, apart from your name, we will NOT publish your details in the actual book!)

FIRST TIME

Tell us about the first speedway meeting you can remember attending and what led you to go?

TEAMS & TRACKS

Where did/do you watch speedway most regularly?

What was/is your favourite away track to visit, and why?

FAVOURITES

Name your three most favourite (not necessarily the best) riders, and why you have chosen them?

CLASSICS

Of all the meetings you have been to, do you have one memorable classic that stands out from all the rest?

Can you single out one particularly great race that will live longest in your memory?

THEN AND NOW

What do you miss most about speedway in the past?

What, if anything, would you like to see reintroduced to speedway today?

MOMENTS TO TREASURE

What is your favourite memory you take from speedway?

WHY SPEEDWAY IS SPECIAL

Whether you used to attend speedway meeting or still do so today, describe what makes speedway so special to you?

Thank you.

Now please email your answers to Tony Mac at editorial@retro-speedway.com. Ideally, please send them to us as soon as possible, but the deadline for responses is August 31st, 2013.

• Like 2

Can they not just be posted on here then, like your article about the Speedway Mail, there'll be no need to waste a tree or two so that punters can read what they've written?

Come to think of it, there's plenty of threads on here in a similar vein - just use that to pad out the lack of ideas for ways to milk the same goat dry…

Can they not just be posted on here then, like your article about the Speedway Mail, there'll be no need to waste a tree or two so that punters can read what they've written?

Come to think of it, there's plenty of threads on here in a similar vein - just use that to pad out the lack of ideas for ways to milk the same goat dry…

You are way out of line with the above Post Backless. I am used to reading your cynical Postings, rarely if ever do you Post anything positive. Why do you have to be so nasty? There is absolutely no need for it. I happen to like the idea that Tony has put forward and would probably by a copy of the resulting Book. Everyone is entitled to their views - you don't like the idea - I have no problem with that but others may like to contribute to the proposed Book - why shouldn't they?

Tony has produced some excellent Books in the past - I am sure this new one will be just as good.

Oh!! I am not a GOAT by the way.

Best of Luck with the Book Tony. Don't be put off by folk like this.

• Like 2

To do that would tend to destroy the purpose of the book - maybe?

What purpose John?Get 100s if not a 1000 or so people to write in,get a few lines in the book and then of course go out and buy it just to see those few lines printed and bound in book?Sounds like a great marketing idea to me tbh

For anyone who needs it explained to them, a large number of supporters who will respond to our questions will not even have access to the internet or use email, and will therefore send in their handwritten responses to us by post.

And then, of course, there's that other vague possibility that some people might just happen to want to read what others have written - kindred spirits, shared experiences and all that, so they could well decide to buy the book instead of re-reading their own post on the BSF.

I could be wrong, though.

But seriously, thanks to those with brains for their positive reactions.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

You are way out of line with the above Post Backless.

Out of line?

I hadn't realised there was a line to be towed.

I suppose it's the logical extension of having the Speedway Mail article written by those who are going to buy it.

It's a personal opinion - I prefer it if I'm paying to do the reading, I prefer someone with some credentials to have done the writing.

Much the same in other walks of life - there is nothing worse than a singer encouraging "audience participation" in a song: no, I paid to hear YOU sing it - if I had felt the need for a karaoke version, I'd have gone to a bar.

Actually I wouldn't - I'd have killed myself first.

This is simply "You've Been Framed" in paperback form.

"The Fans' View" of the 1971 World Final:

- we had ham & pease pudding sandwiches wrapped in tin foil,

- Elsie had too much stout & was sick on the bus,

-Ole Olsen won the meeting,

- wasn't black leather & shiny chrome better under lights

They you go - Chapter One, done & dusted.

I've gone all teary eyed.

Actually, Backless has done a great job in selling the idea! :party: I hope Elsie was ok though. :sad:

• Like 1

black leather & shiny chrome better under lights

Not necessarily at a speedway meeting either!!

• Like 2

I suppose it's the logical extension of having the Speedway Mail article written by those who are going to buy it.

They didn't write it, they simply contributed to part of it.

It's a personal opinion - I prefer it if I'm paying to do the reading, I prefer someone with some credentials to have done the writing.

Again, supporters will be contributing with their memories, not writing the book. Their responses still have to be edited, subbed, etc, (in some cases heavily subbed) AND there will be chunks of the book written by 'proper' journalists.

Backless, if you wouldn't mind coming back on here every day for, say, the next six months with your insightful thoughts into the world of publishing and how we are taking advantage of our customers, it will ensure this thread is 'bumped' to the top of the page at least once a day, which in itself will generate greater awareness of the product and what we're trying to do.

Thank you very much for all your help!

They didn't write it, they simply contributed to part of it.

Again, supporters will be contributing with their memories, not writing the book. Their responses still have to be edited, subbed, etc, (in some cases heavily subbed) AND there will be chunks of the book written by 'proper' journalists.

Backless, if you wouldn't mind coming back on here every day for, say, the next six months with your insightful thoughts into the world of publishing and how we are taking advantage of our customers, it will ensure this thread is 'bumped' to the top of the page at least once a day, which in itself will generate greater awareness of the product and what we're trying to do.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Nice reply. :t:

So a bit of copying & pasting going on. Superb.

Most of the "proper journalists" busy writing features for the Speedway Star, are they?

Presumably the tomb could be launched around the tracks by charabanc, complete with egg salad sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper.

I will do my bit... for the good old days. Good idea, I think, a book about the olden days... by fans, from the golden age... just hope it'll be priced at retro day price... about thirty bob or something.

• Like 1

So a bit of copying & pasting going on. Superb.

Most of the "proper journalists" busy writing features for the Speedway Star, are they?

Presumably the tomb could be launched around the tracks by charabanc, complete with egg salad sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper.

A tomb going round by charabanc, how bizarre.... A tome, well that's different !

• Like 1

A tomb going round by charabanc, how bizarre.... A tome, well that's different !

:t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: