British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow Tigers V Leicester Lions Pl Sun May 19th 2013 @3p.m.

James Wright must be the most frustrating man in British speedway right now. When he beat Cookie at the dale my dad turned to me and said maybe he will kick on for Glasgow the year. Back to his old self. It's a shame because I have a hell of a lot of time for the guy, it just seems there is some spark and of course consistency missing.

I am not going to use terms like lost his edge as I gave not ridden a speedway bike, and as far as I am concerned all riders who go out there week in week out have an edge. What I will say is maybe James doesn't have the belief, confidence and speed as he once had. Not all his scores this year have been poor. I really do feel for him because the ability is still there and maybe that's the frustration.

Again I couldn't make today however it does seem something needs to be done with team.

Good news about JJ.

If this is the "announcement" then from a personal point of view I'd like to point out one thing to our new promoters.

In the past the Glasgow fans have been subjected to the tactic of "big announcement, be there or...." Call me a cynic, but it felt like I was being asked to pay to attend an announcement which then asked for more of my readies.

Please new Glasgow promotion watch how you are using this tactic. One day you might really need it and the little boy will have cried wolf once too often.

Its a tactic most clubs employ somewhere along the line,two or three days before a meeting they announce be there as theres a big announcement coming,on most occasions its just to get an extra few dozen through the gate.

Was that it? Seriously? Yes I am absolutely delighted that wee Joe wants to become a Tiger, great news but come on. We were given the big build up and frankly that was just a bit of a con. If the new promotion wants to keep us onside they need to not get into the habit of taking liberties.

As for the match, apart from that sensational first race from big Joe, it was actually back to boring processions, unless big Joe or little Joe or James were racing. I said before the season I thought the tactic of these young Aussies was a huge risk, then I changed my mind. Now I'm again not so sure.

As for that stuff about bringing a friend, we've been having this drummed into us since the season started. It's getting a bit tedious now. Yes, we know, we get it, we need more people in the gates, but surely the onus for that is down to the promotion, not the hard pressed fans. I reckon if we could have got anyone to come we would have done it by now. My missus flatly refuses to come back to speedway, and she's getting pissed off at me for asking every week, and to be honest I am too asking her and anyone else I can think of..Enough already. The end product is what attracts the crowds, not the fans pestering folks who aren't interested. A new tactic is needed.

• Like 5

Very disappointing today . Track looked fine after all yesterday's rain , but it was evident from the first couple of heats that it wasn't quite right with riders two-wheeling going into the bends instead of sliding . Then we have a track grade and Doolan promptly comes out and equals the track record .

After that the racing was good enough , though we were basically second best to a decent looking Leicester side . Doolan was impressive when he gated , Bjerre looked fast though he was a bit naughty on Grieves down the back straight in heat 7 . Just as well James was holding his wrist tenderly or he might have put one on Bjerre's chin . But Leicester's real star was Magnus Karlsson , he was absolutely brilliant today . If he has to step down when Adam Roynon is fit, we'll have him .

For us , well i'm afraid this result has been coming . Four race wins ( two each from Screen and Grieves ) simply wont win you many meetings . The boys tried hard , but Leicester looked that bit sharper and faster .

So we'll just have to lick our wounds and dust ourselves down for next weekend . It's only Worky away and the Self proclaimed champions elect at home ...........toffee .

• Like 1

The real announcement which no one believed was that you were going to post something on the BSF about Glasgow that would be worth reading and not an attempt at winding up.

And he is not even very good at a wind up it is good to see the gloating Monarchs back to there best, normal service has resumed at how great they are and how not so great we are i would love it just love it if we beat them :lol:

• Like 2

The real announcement which no one believed was that you were going to post something on the BSF about Glasgow that would be worth reading and not an attempt at winding up.

It was a little joke which obviously wasn't very funny or seen as very funny.

The point I was tying to make was, I don't see why the promotion gave the announcement such a big build up when really it wasn't anything to get to get to excited about. But it is good to see a young Brit wanting to become an asset of a club up north rather than the other way around.

James wright is the most regressive rider in British speedway

Certainly an enigma . He's become almost totally reliant on his gating these days , when he misses the gate he might as well ride straight into the pits

• Like 3

It was a little joke which obviously wasn't very funny or seen as very funny.

The point I was tying to make was, I don't see why the promotion gave the announcement such a big build up when really it wasn't anything to get to get to excited about. But it is good to see a young Brit wanting to become an asset of a club up north rather than the other way around.

Accepted Mr B, but you must admit yourself you're usually on the wind up on Glasgow threads and some of us are just getting a bit fed up with this "big announcement" tactic from our own promotion.

And whilst I'm on about it, when did a rider's wishes to sign become an announcement?

Oh yes, I'd like to give one to Beyonce.

Now if I did give one to her, that would be an announcement.

Certainly an enigma . He's become almost totally reliant on his gating these days , when he misses the gate he might as well ride straight into the pits

He's got the speed to pass others, something else is missing.

James wright is the most regressive rider in British speedway

Such a shame as he used to be awsome to watch blasting round the boards at Workington, really don't know what's happened to the lad but after seeing him in the British final last week maybe its time he called it a day.

Very disappointing today . Track looked fine after all yesterday's rain , but it was evident from the first couple of heats that it wasn't quite right with riders two-wheeling going into the bends instead of sliding . Then we have a track grade and Doolan promptly comes out and equals the track record .

After that the racing was good enough , though we were basically second best to a decent looking Leicester side . Doolan was impressive when he gated , Bjerre looked fast though he was a bit naughty on Grieves down the back straight in heat 7 . Just as well James was holding his wrist tenderly or he might have put one on Bjerre's chin . But Leicester's real star was Magnus Karlsson , he was absolutely brilliant today . If he has to step down when Adam Roynon is fit, we'll have him .

For us , well i'm afraid this result has been coming . Four race wins ( two each from Screen and Grieves ) simply wont win you many meetings . The boys tried hard , but Leicester looked that bit sharper and faster .

So we'll just have to lick our wounds and dust ourselves down for next weekend . It's only Worky away and the Self proclaimed champions elect at home ...........toffee .

Screen got himself out of jail in ht1 when Nieminen made a mistake. Having a mechanical issue and being timed out in your first heat is unforgivable. The track was different today and faster than I have seen it for a long time. Doolan was still close to the track record in one of his later heats. Whatever the reason the home riders didn't like it. We should have around 5 points to play with when the new averages are issued and I would consider a change for either Bager or Wright. I don't think the new Aussies deserve the can just yet. Next Sunday will be a difficult one with Tabaka running riot from reserve and the potential to replace Fricke in ht14 which has become a troublesome heat for us. Be interesting to see the size of the travelling support with a sniff of an away win on the cards!

Omce the new averages are out I'd say it is time for Henning to go!! Sign Mr Karlsson and we could do something this year!!

On a less serious note, there was an EPIC mullet in the Lions pits!!

I just can't see them making any team changes. Sean saying after the meeting something along the lines of "I am gutted we lost the meeting but you see what we are trying to do with this team".

Screeny and Grievesy will never be dropped and there's obviously no need to. Young Joe is trying to get a transfer and the two Aussies should be given the time to progress. I'm sure they said they signed Henning on a full transfer and that leaves Wrighty being the only possibility in my mind of getting the axe.

I feel really bad for James Wright. I remember a few years ago when he would come to Ashfield and he'd be a proper threat to whatever tigers he was up against in his races. Now he just looks like a completely different rider and looks afraid to try and pass other riders on the track. He doesn't look confident at all unless he makes the gate. A shame really.

I feel really bad for James Wright. I remember a few years ago when he would come to Ashfield and he'd be a proper threat to whatever tigers he was up against in his races. Now he just looks like a completely different rider and looks afraid to try and pass other riders on the track. He doesn't look confident at all unless he makes the gate. A shame really.

Exactly the way I see it Heather.

• Like 1

I just can't see them making any team changes. Sean saying after the meeting something along the lines of "I am gutted we lost the meeting but you see what we are trying to do with this team".

Screeny and Grievesy will never be dropped and there's obviously no need to. Young Joe is trying to get a transfer and the two Aussies should be given the time to progress. I'm sure they said they signed Henning on a full transfer and that leaves Wrighty being the only possibility in my mind of getting the axe.

Yeah fair comment he seems to have lost something James no doubt know's himself that he seems to be stagnating to a certain extent no doubt he is more frustrated than us as he does have the talent but does he still have the desire , You only need to see today on two riders on very similar averages Magnus Karlsson and James two totally different body languages on the bike one prepared to go that extra yard for his team and the other one not I'm afraid no guessing which one we had .

I feel we are a Magnus Karlsson type rider away from being a useful team as long as the correct change is made if indeed that happens and for me Mr Bager would be the rider to make way this then takes some off the pressure of James Wright to score big points every meeting as we are at the minute

• Like 1