British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve55

New Rider For Sheffield

Jake had taken a leaf out of Damien's book. He had done many laps at places like Kings lynn and Mildenhall which were nearer to where he lived. I was in the pits with him at nearly all the home meetings and some away and can only say that his and Richard's commitment to Sheffield was first class, the equipment was top flight, and he was a great team player. As has been said in other places Jake was in the wrong place at the wrong time, this should have been a no preasure training year with a view to making a significant contributuion next year. But due to the situation of the with the team as a whole he pressurised himself to try and punch above his weight, and we saw the effect of that. Jake and Richard were a pleasure to work with and I just hope that a way can be found for Jake to continue in the sport.

Jake< Richard thanks for the oppotunity to work with you. All the best. Rob

I agree with every word of this post, and I think Sheffield's PR when they released Jake confirmed everything you say.

And people question why British riders are at the standard that they are - with an attitude like that it's no wonder why.

Speedway is a ruthless sport and points make prizes, if Jake wasn't upto his job in the Sheffield side for whatever reason then it's not rocket science that he is going to be moved on. The right attitude after this would be to take one step back, to take two steps forward and be willing to come back harder than ever - but just throwing the towel in is a poor show.

Typical comment from somebody who has no idea of what it is to put every penny you can raise and give all your time to chasing a dream, sometimes it goes wrong and there is nothing left to keep going. Hopefully the lad can get back to a situation where he can afford to have another crack. In the meantime you get to stroll through life telling others how to do things.

• Like 9

Can't wait for Thursday to see our new rider Adam Roynon ....... riding for Dudley against us!

It'll be good for him to have a competitive spin or five before the real deal and it won't get any more difficult than Newcastle.

I see him fitting in quite well at 4, putting RH at 5, which is where I think most of the Sheffield posters believe is his home position.

This will give him a steady intro and won't put too much pressure on him to produce results as Ricky usually gets some reasonable points at home.

All the best to him and sympathy to Jake Knight, hoping he makes a comeback after sorting his disappointment out.

• Like 1

To be fair, Knight was never going to do it. Not good enough i am afraid

See this is what happens when people call for young brits who aint nowhere near ready to be given a chance. He should never in a million years of gone pl this season with a sub six point nl figure.

And people question why British riders are at the standard that they are - with an attitude like that it's no wonder why.

Speedway is a ruthless sport and points make prizes, if Jake wasn't upto his job in the Sheffield side for whatever reason then it's not rocket science that he is going to be moved on. The right attitude after this would be to take one step back, to take two steps forward and be willing to come back harder than ever - but just throwing the towel in is a poor show.

Well that's this week's winner sorted!
  • Like 3

Who knows why Jake has taken the decision, it could be finance problems.

I doubt it is down to attitude problems, Jake quit his National League position at Kings Lynn to concentrate on his Sheffield commitments..

It did occur to me that he might make more money in the NL at £10 a point than in the PL at £40 (if that is what he was getting) so I don't think its a matter of finance.

I don't think its a matter of attitude, either. Talking to one of his sponsors on Friday, he stopped riding for King's Lynn on the basis that if something happened mechanically on a Wednesday night his bikes might not be ready for Thursday, so he gave all his commitment to Sheffield.

I agree with Pinny, though. The lad simply isn't good enough for PL racing at this stage of his career and even if the team had been able to carry him - which was highly debatable from the outset - there would have been pressure to replace him anyway.

I do think the change was made because of his lack of scoring, though. Sheffield simply have to do something to turn their fortunes round and get a few people returning on Thursday nights and carrying on as they were wasn't really an option. With Koppe's upturn in form, there was only ever going to be one to go.

I hope that he changes his mind and carries on in the NL because he has some ability. I recognise, though, that the financial cost of doing so can be far too much to bear.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

It is such a shame that this hasn't worked out, so many call for young Brits to be given a chance and are not fully behind them. Good luck Jake.

I do think the change was made because of his lack of scoring

No - the change was made because of others members of the team's lack of scoring.

You can run with a 3 pointer like we did with Birks, but the rest of the team have to perform to their capabilities

• Like 4

See this is what happens when people call for young brits who aint nowhere near ready to be given a chance. He should never in a million years of gone pl this season with a sub six point nl figure.

Tend to agree, for years now there have been several Young Brits who just can't cope with the PL when given a chance .the ones that are coping seem to be from a Different form of bike sport ,the grass tracking scene seems to have dried up a little and the Moto Cross boys are taking over.there a lot of riders in NL who have been about for a few years but can't seem to break through for various reasons which have been well discussed on this forum

There had to be 3 or 4 in the frame. But 2 of them have had good meetings (at home) in the last 3 weeks. Otherwise I think young Jake would still be there. Right attitude, Right people. Now there's another 4 weeks until Andre's contract runs out at Glasgow. Pressure is on in the middle order now!!

As for Jake taking a break - there's more to life than Speedway!

• Like 1

Well actually you are not being fair. As has been posted this lad has done all that was expected of him; he is the victim of others not pulling their weight and an audience that are clearly demanding change. He has not failed he has been failed.

Tend to agree, for years now there have been several Young Brits who just can't cope with the PL when given a chance .the ones that are coping seem to be from a Different form of bike sport ,the grass tracking scene seems to have dried up a little and the Moto Cross boys are taking over.there a lot of riders in NL who have been about for a few years but can't seem to break through for various reasons which have been well discussed on this forum

Same as above. I can only assume that some posters never look at other people's post or read the press releases. It appeared to me to be an unusual press release as normally when someone is released it is case of the least said the better. In this instance it looks like the management have been forced to sacrifice this lad, even though he is probably the better long term prospect, to bring someone in who can cover for those more experienced riders who are not performing.

The one thing Jake needs to understand is that it's not how many times you get knocked down that matters; it's how many times you get back up again.

• Like 4

I am being honest

Knight was signed on 3.00 and if he had done his job he would of averaged three.

Koppe and albin have also been woeful but koppes recent home form has saved him whilst i assume their going to see how albin does at reserve

Knight wasnt pulling up any trees in last seasons nl and was a poor signing from the off and they are the facts its also a fact that riders like knight get slung into the pl too early he needed at least two more seasons at nl level

His scores this season speak for themself, premier league speedway is a business . No room for sentiment sadly

He got given a three month trial, didnt impress and has been replaced. As i said hes just not good enough yet , will he ever be i dont know