British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe V Berwick - Friday, August 2nd (7.30pm)

Gutted for Rickster and his family just as he was getting back into it again hope and pray we hear some good news tonight get well soon

• Like 1

People shout things in the heat of the moment most of us dont im sure the fan that shouted wishes he didnt and is praying rickys ok like everyone else. one of these moments when you pray to a god when you dont even believe in one...he makes a full recovery.

• Like 3

People shout things in the heat of the moment most of us dont im sure the fan that shouted wishes he didnt and is praying rickys ok like everyone else. one of these moments when you pray to a god when you dont even believe in one...he makes a full recovery.

Prayer is never wasted.

I hope and pray the Ricky can get through this OK.

I read on here that some fans cheered at his crash, I doubt these fans realised the severity of this. Personally I never cheer a crash. For me I have seen the most innocuous crash be serious.

That's the same reason i have never ever cheered a crash. You repeatedly see in all forms of motor sport the most spectacular and horrendous looking crashes where the rider or driver walks away without a scratch. Then, also as in normal life, what seems to be a minor/safe fall (although i understand Ricky's wasn't) there can be dreadful or fatal outcomes.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Only saying on Thursday how I was looking forward to seeing Ricky back in a Tigers race jacket for the Newcastle & Glasgow meetings. He was brilliant in the GB v Australia test the previous week. Back in Top form and now this. Well this guy is a real fighter on the track and I'm sure he'll be giving it 100% in hospital.

Come on Rickster we need you back at Sheffield next year! Here's hoping and praying for a full recovery.

just started 3 weeks off work today and was looking forward to the gp a curry and bottle of wine but this news has knocked me for six.no connection with ricky at all but just shows how close the speedway family is with the previous comments. thoughts and prayers go out to ricky

• Like 1

I am keeping tabs on Ricky's wellbeing throgh twitter & other snippets but the nature of the accident was due to Ricky using the wide line on bend 4(got 18 pt max before, riding wide) but seemed to shut off as nearing the fence causing him to go over the handlebars & twisting in mid air, looking like his back or head might hit the fence first(the air bags he had just passed). We have had numerous serious injuries at this point in the past as it is a downward stretch coming out of the corner. It must be hard tonight for the riders of most teams competing tonight, more so, Scorpions & the Bandits. A swift recovery is hoped for Ricky as he is in the best place, locally, at Hull Royal Infirmary.

That's the same reason i have never ever cheered a crash. You repeatedly see in all forms of motor sport the most spectacular and horrendous looking crashes where the rider or driver walks away without a scratch. Then, also as in normal life, what seems to be a minor/safe fall (although i understand Ricky's wasn't) there can be dreadful or fatal outcomes.

Well that's it. I saw Neil Hewitt suffer terrible injuries with a crash that didn't look as bad as I have seen, it caused life changing injuries for Neil. Look I know that those who did cheer in no way wanted this outcome. That's what makes speedway fans different from other sports, we stand side by side and appreciate other teams riders. Look, I think we just need to move on. The Scunthorpe fans and club itself are thoroughly decent folks and lets not label them something they are not.

Lets all focus on Ricky. Lets hope he can continue to improve. I don't know anyone in the speedway world sending anything but positive messages to Ricky. Get well mate; I'm sure I speak for many on here.

• Like 7

Well that's it. I saw Neil Hewitt suffer terrible injuries with a crash that didn't look as bad as I have seen, it caused life changing injuries for Neil. Look I know that those who did cheer in no way wanted this outcome. That's what makes speedway fans different from other sports, we stand side by side and appreciate other teams riders. Look, I think we just need to move on. The Scunthorpe fans and club itself are thoroughly decent folks and lets not label them something they are not.

Lets all focus on Ricky. Lets hope he can continue to improve. I don't know anyone in the speedway world sending anything but positive messages to Ricky. Get well mate; I'm sure I speak for many on here.

Echo all these comments, I have seen the jeers and cheers all over the country when the opposition falls, not really malice more the other teams good fortune. Its not right but it happens.

Hope Ricky makes a full recovery and is back to entertain all speedway fans in the non too distant future.

• Like 1

Thoughts go out to one of the nicest speedway riders you could meet. I was at the meeting on friday & to be honest it looked a horror crash from bend 3 just how serious i was soon to find out as i made my way out :-(

Be strong sticky ricky

I am keeping tabs on Ricky's wellbeing throgh twitter & other snippets but the nature of the accident was due to Ricky using the wide line on bend 4(got 18 pt max before, riding wide) but seemed to shut off as nearing the fence causing him to go over the handlebars & twisting in mid air, looking like his back or head might hit the fence first(the air bags he had just passed). We have had numerous serious injuries at this point in the past as it is a downward stretch coming out of the corner. It must be hard tonight for the riders of most teams competing tonight, more so, Scorpions & the Bandits. A swift recovery is hoped for Ricky as he is in the best place, locally, at Hull Royal Infirmary.

I'm not sure if Ricky actually made contact with the fence,from where I stood it look like he landed flat on the track backwards

I'm not sure if Ricky actually made contact with the fence,from where I stood it look like he landed flat on the track backwards

He didn't hit the fence not that that stops people blaming it. The important thing at the moment is rickys recovery inquests can happen later

He didn't hit the fence not that that stops people blaming it. The important thing at the moment is rickys recovery inquests can happen later

I read on one report that he hit an unpadded wooden post which if it had been padded he would have probably got up and walked away.

Is this true?

I was there and he did not I repeat not hit the fence hit the track flat strange accident Get Well Ricky