British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Latvian Gp Saturday 17th August

The wildcard has still to be named but the smart money would be on Kjastas Puodzuks getting the nod.

The meeting starts at 19.00 local time which means an earlier start here in the uk of 5pm live on Eurosport.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

Well, if K Pod performs in this, would BSI consider a Latvian for one of next year's Wildcards rather than the usual Pole or Swede???

Well, if K Pod performs in this, would BSI consider a Latvian for one of next year's Wildcards rather than the usual Pole or Swede???

Perhaps but in that case I would say that Grigorij Laguta would be a better choice. Although he is using Russian license, Grigorij was born in Latvia.

IT is possible, although a tad unlikely, that at the end of the season there will be no Holder or Ward in the top eight, just one Pole (Hampel) and no Swedes. Wild card picks could be at a premium...

Perhaps but in that case I would say that Grigorij Laguta would be a better choice. Although he is using Russian license, Grigorij was born in Latvia.

Laguta was born in village Big Stone near Vladivostok (Russia) :)

• Like 1

IT is possible, although a tad unlikely, that at the end of the season there will be no Holder or Ward in the top eight, just one Pole (Hampel) and no Swedes. Wild card picks could be at a premium...

very unlikely that scenario: could only happen if vaculik makes top 8, which is a very long shot at this stage. 3 out of 4 though is a reasonable shout, id say either ward or an extra pole will make top 8

Laguta was born in village Big Stone near Vladivostok (Russia) :)

I see but he does have some connection to Latvia don't he?

I see but he does have some connection to Latvia don't he?

Isnt his wife Latvian?

I think nearly half the population of Latvia is Russian, and Daugavpils nearly 80% Russian. Lots of Russians went to work there in the Soviet era.

Greg Laguta has been the Latvian wild card in the past I do believe.

Russia and Latvia have a good case for wild card picks next year.

Latvia performed well in SWC and Russia have 3 of the best riders in the world on current form.

Thought Laguta was in dispute with the MFR and then seemed to change alliance to latvia.The talk at the time was he tried to change nationality but couldn't pass the language test

The talk at the time was he tried to change nationality but couldn't pass the language test

Yes, it's a bit controversial. The Latvians insist that you have to speak Latvian to become a citizen, but that excludes many of the Russians who were already in the country at the time of independence.

Andzejs Lebedevs Wildcard

Kasts Puodzuks and Maksims Bogdanovs. track reserves

Edited by Superstar1