British Speedway Forum

As with any pay TV station, they want subscribers and viewers and whatever attracts them is what they'll show. The 'hard core' speedway fans are surely substantially outnumbered amongst their subscribers so to make speedway work they have to catch the eye of their other viewers.

Now, the personality route is very effective, as any tabloid newspaper reader will know - it's all about 'personalities' and gossip about them. First though you have to get the public to know those names.

In the case of speedway on TV it has to catch attention fast and hold it. Ideally it will be a great piece of racing, but back-up selling points are atmosphere, spectacle and names. Take NASCAR - not much actually going on, but set in massive stadia with massive crowds. It looks impressive - at first.

Once you've got people interested you can then develop personalities.

Sky's much-criticised presentation works to that end - it's a hard sell to catch attention. What's being said is "Hey, don't change channel, watch this, it's great, it's important - look at these personalities" - and also completes the big 'sell' by giving strong mentions to tracks around the country. It's not always pleasant listening for the already-committed but Sky aren't selling to them - they already have them.

Where it a ll goes wrong is, quite simply when you have poor racing, no atmosphere and 'stars' that only the committed know about. AZt the very lowest depth you have the farce of Belle Vue vs Poole, farcical racing on an unfit track in an aborted meeting just to contrive a result.

At the heart of it all is the racing. It is all about four guys (or girls if they're good enough) having a race that's good enough for people to want to watch - and that applies to speedway on whatever stage - televised or live at the stadium.

SKY wouldn't say no to more big names, but what is important to them is better value for money... They want closer racing, better presented venues and fuller crowds. For me, the Premier League can offer much more of this than the current Elite setup.

All promoters need to tidy up their stadiums to make them more presentable to their own fans and away supporters there is a lot that needs to be done in most (if not all clubs) .Most stadiums have more than one sport on their itenary and when a Sky match is shown there are an awful lot of overhead or long shots showing stadiums shortcomings and vehicles connected with Stock Cars or Greyhound not really in the best condition making the Stadium itself looking like a Scrap Yard effect.It doesn,t take a lot to tidy up most fans would probably volunteer to help and if there was a little incentive as well even better with a bit of money spent in the process but therein probably lies the problem Promoters don,t like to spend money .I think that the case of bigger crowds will never be changed well the meetings are shown live as most fans prefer to not spend hard earned cash if they can watch in the comfort of their own warm front room also not knowing who your

1 to 7 is going to be every week doesn,t help Maybe Sky could show matches on the same night from say 10pm to allow fans time to get home or record for later viewing so the diehard fans could get a double fix of their favourite sport .Most football matches are over by then which would give Sky another chance to increase their coffers with what is a fairly good fanbase sport to maybe attract more viewers .

Edited by FTM

All promoters need to tidy up their stadiums to make them more presentable to their own fans and away supporters there is a lot that needs to be done in most (if not all clubs) .Most stadiums have more than one sport on their itenary and when a Sky match is shown there are an awful lot of overhead or long shots showing stadiums shortcomings and vehicles connected with Stock Cars or Greyhound not really in the best condition making the Stadium itself looking like a Scrap Yard effect.It doesn,t take a lot to tidy up most fans would probably volunteer to help and if there was a little incentive as well even better with a bit of money spent in the process but therein probably lies the problem .I think that the case of bigger crowds will never be changed well the meetings are shown live as most fans prefer to not spend hard earned cash if they can watch in the comfort of their own warm front room also not knowing who your

1 to 7 is going to be every week doesn,t help Maybe Sky could show matches on the same night from say 10pm to allow fans time to get home or record for later viewing so the diehard fans could get a double fix of their favourite sport .Most football matches are over by then which would give Sky another chance to increase their coffers with what is a fairly good fanbase sport to maybe attract more viewers .

The trouble with that, is, of course, the main majority of promoters only rent the stadium from Greyhound/Rugby/Football folk, so have very little or no say in what the 'stadium' looks like. There are exceptions, but the vast majority are rented. Edited by The Abbott

SKY wouldn't say no to more big names, but what is important to them is better value for money... They want closer racing, better presented venues and fuller crowds. For me, the Premier League can offer much more of this than the current Elite setup.

So where is it that Premier League is getting bigger crowds than Elite League?

Did Ipswich get bigger crowds from last weeks play off against Workington. No they did not

Compare that to the Elite League play offs on Monday night.at either venue.

• Like 1

if they want that they should pay a decent amount ,

People don't need names. Because frankly, as explained, they're not names. In their little bubble on twitter and at the track they might be but outside of that, they're just not. Darcy Ward is as irrelevant as James Shanes.

People want good racing, good presentation, efficient meetings. They dont want to be stood outside in April at 11pm having got their at 7pm. Meetings should be over by 9 if they start at 7.30. They should move at a steady pace. There should be a scoreboard so the fans can see the score and not have to fill in a programme. The presentation should be fresh and modern - I've only been to half a dozen hockey games but they're so far ahead of speedway its painful.

The trouble with that, is, of course, the main majority of promoters only rent the stadium from Greyhound/Rugby/Football folk, so have very little or no say in what the 'stadium' looks like. There are exceptions, but the vast majority are rented.
I can't imagine too many Greyhound/Rugby/Football folk being upset if the speedway promoter asks if he can tidy a few bit of the stadium up.

So where is it that Premier League is getting bigger crowds than Elite League?

Did Ipswich get bigger crowds from last weeks play off against Workington. No they did not

Compare that to the Elite League play offs on Monday night.at either venue.

THINK you missed the point of my post, I was trying to give a little info on what SKY would like. You can't compare just one week, as you can make the facts work however you wish. When SKY visited the PL tracks, am pretty sure the crowds there were more than what Belle Vue got on the same night... My point is, SKY can cope without 'big names', it's the product and entertainment that works for them, aside from the financial side...

THINK you missed the point of my post, I was trying to give a little info on what SKY would like. You can't compare just one week, as you can make the facts work however you wish. When SKY visited the PL tracks, am pretty sure the crowds there were more than what Belle Vue got on the same night... My point is, SKY can cope without 'big names', it's the product and entertainment that works for them, aside from the financial side...

You just have to look at BERWICK to see what CAN be done when SKY come calling. :t::approve: :approve:

A Premier League Team - I believe. :approve: :approve:

• Like 1

You just have to look at BERWICK to see what CAN be done when SKY come calling. :t::approve: :approve:

A Premier League Team - I believe. :approve: :approve:

It was their 'big night'. Others should remember their example and not look upon TV coverage as a nuisance but which at least brings in easy money.

• Like 1

And the biggest crowd ever for a televised meeting was at probably the worst track in the country!

• Like 1

People don't need names. Because frankly, as explained, they're not names. In their little bubble on twitter and at the track they might be but outside of that, they're just not. Darcy Ward is as irrelevant as James Shanes.

People want good racing, good presentation, efficient meetings. They dont want to be stood outside in April at 11pm having got their at 7pm. Meetings should be over by 9 if they start at 7.30. They should move at a steady pace. There should be a scoreboard so the fans can see the score and not have to fill in a programme. The presentation should be fresh and modern - I've only been to half a dozen hockey games but they're so far ahead of speedway its painful.

....but it does take a lot longer hanging around for all their autographs and then having to check they are who they say they are!! :D:wink: Edited by Skidder1

Sky have just extended Boxing to 2016.

I suspect their attention will now turn to Speedway.

Hougaard Racing Fans - spot on again, as you were in helping to solve the Syrian chemical weapons crisis (see General Discusions re this matter). :icon_smile_clown:

Hougaard Racing Fans - spot on again, as you were in helping to solve the Syrian chemical weapons crisis (see General Discusions re this matter). :icon_smile_clown:

I hope that you can help by using your great influence to get Speedway back on SKY next Season Hougaard Racing Fans. Remember - we are ALL counting on you to pull it off - OOPS!! :oops::t::oops::shock::blink:

Edited by The White Knight

Sky have spent their money on the golden goose of PL football with a bit of cricket rugby league and champions league thrown in for good measure TBH i can see customers leaving in their droves there is only so much repetive analysis anyone can bear.