British Speedway Forum
iand

Doubling Up - Should It Be Allowed?

Are people in favour of the current doubling up system? Do you agree that people happy like Jason Doyle, Craig Cook and Ben Barker should be allowed to continue in the Premier league?

Not sure, but riders should be able to ride in more than 1 league. I'm good mates with Chris Schramm who had a terrible start to the season after coming back from a broken back, but he has said to me that he needs to be riding more to improve. He could only ride in the PL which meant he had 1 or two meetings a week and sometimes none at all.

I don't know all the rules, but maybe a rider in the PL could ride in the NL on double their average or EL on half their average. So that way someone who is low on confidence/out of form/coming back from injury could get more rides, but also Riders like Barker can be getting lots of practice in two leagues.

I think in Chris's case he ended the PL season on something like 3.5 average, but he's under the impression he cant ride in the NL as his average would be too high.

Whilst it undoubtedly has benefits in that the extra racing opportunities help to develop riders I think the doubling up system is a real problem. Looking at it from an EL perspective here have been far too many occasions where we've had to field an understrength side due to conflicting PL fixtures. With GP and other leagues also placing demands on our riders it is too common that teams need to field R/R or guest riders. If 2014 sees a continuance of our 3-tier league system I'd prefer not to see doubling-up still in place.

Don't forget it's not that long ago (last season) that Adam Roynon was riding in all 3 leagues!

I think Scrammy (on a 3.5 PL ave) can ride in the NL next season, but, for instance, Lewi Kerr (just over 6 PL ave) can't.

I still think it's daft that, say Jason Doyle, can continue in the PL despite being an EL number 1, although the EL isn't as near as strong as it was a few years ago (the amount of PL riders in it proves that).

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, that the riders that seem to come on the most, or have the best seasons are the guys like Lewis Kerr who get to ride all the time in more than 1 league.

Well I'm in favour of riders doubling up. Much rather have the lads earning their money in this country than flying backwards and forwards across Europe.

Also without the D/U the EL would not have enough riders!!!

What I don't agree with is the riders riding in all 3 leagues. If they are good enough to get an EL place, then they are far too good for NL racing IMO.

• Like 3

Forgot to mention, that the riders that seem to come on the most, or have the best seasons are the guys like Lewis Kerr who get to ride all the time in more than 1 league.

i think its been overused and there are suspicions that some riders are saving their best equipment/ performances for the EL

maybe they should be nos 8,9,10 in an EL squad and replace missing riders only

perhaps this would be a way of reducing or even eliminating guests usage

Absolutely not. I had a letter published in SS recently where I pointed out that since Chris Harris/Danny King went full time we've only had Tai Woffinden do likewise and make heat leader status let alone an impact on the world stage. Try watching at Coventry on a Friday night when four PL tracks operate - you are lucky to ever see two teams at full strength. It's a complete joke , the PL needs to be de-strengthened and the elite league likewise and it's fixtures increased. As i pointed in the SS Craig Cook got a maximum at Leicester in 2011- shouldn't be in the PL and neither should Barker or Doyle.

• Like 2

It should be allowed for British based riders (so some Aussies allowed), under 24 years of age.

If you haven't kicked on by that age you pick your level and ride there. If that means part time, it means part time.

• Like 1

IMO ,the only doubling up should be NLto PL with Pl clubs getting priority with fixture clashes,the NL teams will be able to use young talent in these situations.Cook, Barker ect should only be allowed to ride in one League.(their choice which one )

• Like 1

Where are the riders coming from if it is scrapped?

Absolutely not. I had a letter published in SS recently where I pointed out that since Chris Harris/Danny King went full time we've only had Tai Woffinden do likewise and make heat leader status let alone an impact on the world stage. Try watching at Coventry on a Friday night when four PL tracks operate - you are lucky to ever see two teams at full strength. It's a complete joke , the PL needs to be de-strengthened and the elite league likewise and it's fixtures increased. As i pointed in the SS Craig Cook got a maximum at Leicester in 2011- shouldn't be in the PL and neither should Barker or Doyle.

Do riders have to make an impact on the world stage for it to work?

Doubling Up/Down impacts on a number of levels other than simply helping to produce the next World Champion.

If you were to list the positives and negatives it would be quite a lopsided argument in favour of keeping it, and arguably confirming that it has been one of the better, and smarter rules introduced in recent years.

• Like 1

I think its a good idea, I agree with the point about I'd rather guys were riding solely in the UK (admittedly in 2 leauges) as opposed too riding in the 3 or 4 different countries week in- week out. Dont see why Doyle and Cook should be punished for it. Whether they make it abroad is another matter

We need to get our home riders out here getting more rides at top level to better their chances of becoming the next Tai. The British lads who are doubling up in the EL/PL and are now coming to the twilight of their riding lives will never get any higher than they are now. If the young up and coming lads don't get a chance to compete in the higher levels of speedway then that is where they will stay either NL or PL someof them on a shoestring budget and only one bike to their name

. Not gtiven the chance who will ever know what they can achive. The young British riders should be given that chance by riding in the reserve place at all major clubs instead of foriegn riders. May not be so exititing but not given the chance we will never find out.

The state of our British riders is very much at the for-front of this we have 6 if that top riders now and out of those 6 how many can we count as true international stars that can hold their own against the best in the world very few.

Let the lads have their chances, it may take a while, but I say let them carry on doubling up. The riders in the EL will soon be having to ride a league or 2 down in a few years anyway as no big club will want their services, then who do they have to take their places???????????

Doubling up just makes the rider shortage worse.

There wasn't a huge problem when it was first introduced, but now when one rider retires, two sometimes three team spots go.

It was introduced as a disguise to help develop riders, but now it's the norm to fill empty places.

The BSPA need to address the root cause of rider shortage, otherwise the situation will just implode on itself.

Edited by Deano

off coarse they should be allowed

i know plenty of people who have a full time job and a part time 1 aswell

some times thats the only way some familys can earn enough to struggle through without struggling to break even

• Like 1