British Speedway Forum
dantodan

British Speedway Promoters Meeting

Sweden looks the more likely model BUT (or am I mistaken..) doesn't the statement imply these reserves will only ride against each other AND only (therefore) have two programmed rides so wouldn't therefore be the same as Sweden's..

Oh no, I'm not implying that the EL would or should follow either formula, but since the new scheme compares itself with those two countries I thought I'd show how they arranged matters abroad. If the reserves are up to the standard of the top five the system works well, but otherwise it's harsh, especially in Poland for many youngsters getting two rides and thoroughly beaten in the process.

I agree with every word. No one is even giving it a chance to work. Lets see if they are up to it. They can be no worse than some of the poor overseas reserves we have ben seeing here in the last few years. Given the chance they may turn out to be stars of the future and give us a team GB to be proud of

Shovlar's endorsement clearly shows he believes Poole will have the best two juniors.....

Edited by rmc

Exactly and remember the likes of Carl Stonehewer, Joe Screen, Sean Wilson and others were nowhere near good enough for the British League at that time but can anyone say riding in the top league did not speed up their progress ?

Screen scored paid double figures from 4 riders in his DEBUT aged 16.

Oh no, I'm not implying that the EL would or should follow either formula, but since the new scheme compares itself with those two countries I thought I'd show how they arranged matters abroad. If the reserves are up to the standard of the top five the system works well, but otherwise it's harsh, especially in Poland for many youngsters getting two rides and thoroughly beaten in the process.

Shovlar's endorsement clearly shows he believes Poole will have the best two juniors.....

not so sure there KL with Lambert and poss rose/kerr, wolves Morris/ Perry/ Blackbird (going with Dudley connection) and be interesting to see who is with Ellis at Lakeside

Promoting British juniors to EL reserve spots is a good idea if done properly...........

but who expects it will be done properly.

If some money comes in for a TV deal I expect an extremely watered down version of this plan to be put in place.

I would just like to commiserate with the Panthers fans, terrible news.

I've done A rough list of the graded NL riders

GRADE A

Charles Wright

Lewis blackbird

Ashley Morris

Steve boxhall

Stefan Nielsen

Paul starke

Robert lambert

Lewis Kerr

Adam Ellis

Joe Jacobs

GRADE B

Steven worrall

Max clegg

Ben Morley

Josh bates

Ben reads

Lewis rose

Jake knight

Tom perry

Robert Branford

James sarjeant

Poole have said they hope they get Newman in the allocation. really confused as didn't think he rode NL?

I think you will find that atleast two of these riders won't even be eligible for nl in 2014 so you can strike them off the list.

Junior

My thoughts too! British or not, what are last years Elite reserves going to do ? If the Elite teams cherry pick their 1 to 5 and have the reserves allotted, there wont be any room for them........Anywhere!

Maybe a weeding out of second-rate foreign riders is long overdue - our league system has done far more for Australian speedway over the last few years than it has for British speedway. It is tough on riders like Auty, Howarth, Birks and Lawson (among others), but they have had a lot of chances in the top league and come up short.

but how many chances have ostergaard, a,dryml, summers, kosciusch, lahti, l.lindgren, kozza, north hadall ending up at reserve this year, much rather brits given a shot and the backing

• Like 1

No one is even giving it a chance to work.

It didn't work properly in the 2006 Premier League when it had a better chance of succeeding given the smaller gap between the graded reserves and the top riders in that league.

Lets see if they are up to it.

Plenty of the riders who'll be needed to fill these reserve gradings have already proved they're barely "up to it" as reserves in the Premier League.

They can be no worse than some of the poor overseas reserves we have ben seeing here in the last few years.

Trouble is, they won't be any better either ... and in quite a few cases, hard though it may be for you to believe, they will be worse.

Given the chance they may turn out to be stars of the future and give us a team GB to be proud of

Please can I have something of what you've been drinking or smoking this weekend if you think this policy will make any difference to future GB teams ... there are already enough opportunities for any young Brit with enough talent to climb up into an Elite League top-5 as proved in the last couple of years by Richie Worrall.

In fact, Richie probably wouldn't have ridden in enough National League meetings in 2010 to qualify for a 2011 Elite League reserve-grading if this system had been in place at the time ... instead, his first full Premier season in 2011 along with a few Elite appearances gave him a much more natural progression towards a regular Elite team place in 2012 & '13.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least 4 of the initial 20 graded-reserves next March have quit their Elite League place by the end of the season citing "burnt out" as the reason because 36 meetings mixing with the superstars is going to be far greater a mental challenge than they'll expect.

• Like 1

but how many chances have ostergaard, a,dryml, summers, kosciusch, lahti, l.lindgren, kozza, north hadall ending up at reserve this year, much rather brits given a shot and the backing

Bit harsh on Dak, last year was his first in the Elite full time, increasing his average by nearly a point..

if analysed properly then this system effectively takes out 4 wages a meeting as the N L boys will I am sure not impact the overall figure too much...

if say on average 1K per rider per night (inc points money, air fares/van hire/hotel bills etc etc) then that saves the sport 4k a meeting...

over a full season that's a hell of a lot of costs removed...

if nothing else, well done to the promoters for eventually waking up and smelling the coffee..

let's hope it works for the long term good of the sport..

Howarth and Lawson are just starting to come on so this is not the time to confine them to the PL.

The ruling is done with good intentions but im not sure they have thought this through properly.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is heavily revised.

What a complete fudge they have made of it ?....if you look at my A Plan for speedway of the future that is what needed to happen. I am all for opportunities for our young riders but 2 NL riders at the base of each EL team,,,you cannot sell that to the paying public or sponsors. Those riders need to develop through the PL, which incidentally will the season take over as British Speedways favoured league. What were the promoters doing in the conference ? if I read it correct they have not even managed to rid us of the hated tactical or joker ride !.

Not sure speedway in these difficult economic times will survive this level of indecision by the promoters ....2014 could well be the death nell of speedway in Britain.

Is alright telling people to wind their necks in but the likes of Birks, Auty, Howarth and Lawson could now miss out as their averages may not be appealing to how teams may be set up. So we give some kids a chance but bin off the more established kids. Excellent idea isn't it, dear oh dear

The whole thing seems/feels ill thought out to me. :sad:

No he isn't. Jake Knight hasn't quit. He rode for us in the NL when dropped from Sheffield and is looking for NL / PL again next season.

You had better change that to 'Elite League' place.

There is a heck of a difference between the best twenty young British riders, whether under-23 or under-21 or any other arbitrary figure, and the top twenty National League riders, for what are pretty obvious reasons unless the Premier League has mysteriously ceased to exist.

Yes, it's great to give protected team places to young British riders but only if it is the best that are included. Using the best is a talent-developing strategy, just using 20 NL riders is suspiciously close to just employing riders on the cheap and passing it off as some grand strategy.

Funny how the BSPA wake up to promoting British talent once the financial drip-feed is under threat.

If this was a properly though-out scheme to promote young British talent I'd support it completely. I really don't think it is.

The comparison is made with Poland and Sweden. I would suggest that the riders involved in those countries are at a rather later stage of development than the NL.

The progression of course should be NL-PL-EL. The fundamental failure of this scheme is the suspicion that that vital middle step is being omitted.

I hope it works but really can't see how it's more than exploitation rather giving opportunities - as it has been every time I've seen it tried before. What we have here is instead of stripping cost out of the EL consistently through the riding order we're probably seeing second strings replaced by NL riders.

On a different note we are told that a new TV deal is imminent - it would be interesting to see how much money is on the table....

An excellent Post rmc. The Elite League are trying to run their League on the CHEAP. :sad:

Has precious little to do with nurturing BRITISH talent. :sad:

......................... and they have kept the bl**dy Double Points - if it wasn't so tragic - it would be laughable. :rolleyes::rolleyes::blush:

• Like 1

Okay the BSPA are trying to improve young riders from the NL even though they are going about it the completly wrong way!

This could have an effect on young riders in the PL who would normally double up as a second string or a reserve. As there chances are now even slimmer of doubling up. for example riders like Kyle Newman and Lewis Kerr how are they going to develop as riders if they are going to have less meetings.

Like I said, all about getting a TV deal by making it easier to keep the top riders.

Anyone know when the NL riders will be assigned their EL clubs?

PL clubs have their teams to build, so hopefully ASAP.