British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Save Isle Of Wight

I used to leave the car on land and then get the ferry. Much better and cheaper.

I thought that the deal that they had going in partnership with Wighlink and Ryde taxis was a fantastic deal ie £22 all in but I am not sure that it was publicised enough. Yes it is on the website, but not in the easiest place to find and quite a few people that I talked to weren't aware of the offer thinking that driving across on the ferry was the only way.

• Like 1

I'm sure when I went back in about '05 we parked up in Portsmouth, paid about £25 (and the average PL price was about £12 at the time) and that got us the Ferry, train up the pier and bus there and back. We missed the bus back because it went as soon as the heat 15 finished and nobody had told us it would leave quite so quickly but that aside couldn't complain about the price. Nice little stadium and club house too from what I remember of it all them years back.

Edited by SCB

Its a shame, but it seems the mystery potential last minute backer has just as quickly pulled out of negotiations. I believe rather than get frustrated by trying to meet the January deadline the IOW should opt to not run NL meetings in 2014, but carry on raising funds with the aim to be back League racing in 2015.

I hate to see any Track close but it seems there is NO other option now. The IOW can do without the negativity, there has to be a way around this, nothing is impossible.

The Club has a great bunch of workers, and deserve at the very least, to see IOW Speedway continue, Yes it requires a little more, that maybe an outsider can see. but is not visible from within. My own thoughts on the IOW and the average gates of around just over 100, yes everyone could possibly do more to promote there Track/Team, not just the IOW, I doubt the Islanders can survive just on locals alone, nor on annual visitors to the Island, more needs to be done to encourage spectators to come from the mainland reguarly, then they could target some advertising there also, To this end the raceday HAS to be changed, this to me is THE single most important decision the Islanders can decide, lets look at Tuesdays, I live in Bournemouth, if i want to watch Speedway on the Island which i do, i need to get time off work, odd occasions yes, but reguarly no, now if the raceday was Saturday/Sunday afternoon or evening, then thats a different scenario altogether, and Im pretty sure, thats the case for many supporters from the mainland. Who wouldnt want to spend a weekend day on the Beach, afternoons/evenings Speedway, and an evening in a Pub, for me That HAS to be the way forward, Thats the single most important decision that can be made to sustain The IOW Speedway going forward, and if Wightlink can be brought on board, with a deal similar to what they already offer, then this would be brilliant. Also one needs to consider riders situations, and the travelling involved on a weekday, yes i know the holiday season could prove difficult,but thats only on a few occasions, whereas weekday traveling is week in, week out.

I sincerely hope some of my ideas would be considered, maybe not for 2014 now, but certainly for 2015 and years to come, weekend racedays has to be the way forward for The IOW Speedway, even if it only means an additional 50+ spectators, that would be a 50% increase on the average gate, many Clubs would give there right arm to see such an increase, yes i know its a low figure to start with, but its a start, and best not to be over ambitous with figures. I sincerely hope there is a way the IOW can be saved, as the people behind the scenes deserve it, the supporters want it, and Speedway can ill afford to lose another Track.

Edited by greyhoundp

I agree that weekend racing would be a good idea but Sunday would be a better option than Saturday I would think as Saturday is usually the day when holidaymakers have either just arrived and are settling in or going home. I hope something can be sorted out.

• Like 1

I agree that weekend racing would be a good idea but Sunday would be a better option than Saturday I would think as Saturday is usually the day when holidaymakers have either just arrived and are settling in or going home. I hope something can be sorted out.

And of course ferry space then becomes a problem. I am sure that Wightlink would not want to give up valuable space to non paying speedway riders and officials but no suggestion should be put down without adequate thought.

• Like 1

And of course ferry space then becomes a problem. I am sure that Wightlink would not want to give up valuable space to non paying speedway riders and officials but no suggestion should be put down without adequate thought.

weekends are not an option .the ferry company wont allow free weekend travel for speedway

A problem that not just the IOW has got is teams paying too much money to riders. Everyone knows who the culprits are and the IOW was one of them but now when the IOW try to pay sensible money (still above the minimum) the riders go elsewhere to the teams that will . What some riders were paid to ride in the NL last season was just stupid and its all very well these riders saying they need this money to compete because they move on to premier or elite and it dosent matter to them about the finaces of the NL clubs they leave behind

• Like 4

weekends are not an option .the ferry company wont allow free weekend travel for speedway

A problem that not just the IOW has got is teams paying too much money to riders. Everyone knows who the culprits are and the IOW was one of them but now when the IOW try to pay sensible money (still above the minimum) the riders go elsewhere to the teams that will . What some riders were paid to ride in the NL last season was just stupid and its all very well these riders saying they need this money to compete because they move on to premier or elite and it dosent matter to them about the finaces of the NL clubs they leave behind

Perhaps the NL needs to get back to something similar to how it started, when it was the Conference League and was a training/nursery league. I am reading Len Silver's book at the moment, probably a third of the way through and you realise Speedway was always run on a shoestring, with promoters either making a bit or losing a lot, but what is apparent, so far in the book, is the riders costs were a lot lower. Most riders had only one bike to fork out for and maintain and also, they arrived at the track with a trailer behind a car or a simple bike bracket, no fancy transporter. It wasn't so long ago that the Speedway riders choice of transport was a Citroen estate car. Speedway is trying to live beyond it's means and it is not necessary.

• Like 3

Its all very well saying weekends are not an option, but its pretty apparent, IOW struggle to survive on week days, and they cant rely on locals to support the Team, thats been apparent for some years now, so the alternative is change to week ends, and try to draw more support from the mainland.

Now this thorny problem of rider pay, there is absolutely NO way this can ever be policed, so we have to live with the system as it is, Buxton havent done to badly over the years, though its become apparent with each year that its become increasingly difficult for them, and 2 of the main culprits i would imagine are my own Team, and possibly Mildenhall, the first who have fantastic support but NO Track, the 2nd Team are generally to strong for the NL, but cant sustain a PL Team. Live within your means, Im pretty sure Cradley & Mildenhall do that, but there means are far greater than Buxton, IOW, and KL. The alternative to that is to reduce the points limit further, so that the Teams with greater financial ability dont have such an on track advantage bcuz of there finance.

Garry Middleton once turned up at Leicester in his Rolls Royce!!!!!!!!!

Citroen Safari was the car Les Collins used at Leicester, he could squeeze 2 bikes in and associated kit, and I am sure I once helped him manhandle 3 out his Citroen (TARDIS) Safari!!!!!!!

Its all very well saying weekends are not an option, but its pretty apparent, IOW struggle to survive on week days, and they cant rely on locals to support the Team, thats been apparent for some years now, so the alternative is change to week ends, and try to draw more support from the mainland.

and how do you propose to get the riders on to the isle without ferry crossings at the weekend?. Wightlink wont give free weekend ferry crossings to the speedway therefor weekends are not an option. Without wightlink isle of wight speedway does not exist. For the record its £83 per van if you pay Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

and how do you propose to get the riders on to the isle without ferry crossings at the weekend?. Wightlink wont give free weekend ferry crossings to the speedway therefor weekends are not an option. Without wightlink isle of wight speedway does not exist. For the record its £83 per van if you pay

Plus , fans change over during the weekend, and a Tuesday night race night allows them to settle in and get more aware that speedway is on. In the past the IOW used to also hold meetings on the Thursday night, to fit it postponed meetings, which would have been great to have two meetings during their stay on the island.

Perhaps the NL needs to get back to something similar to how it started, when it was the Conference League and was a training/nursery league. I am reading Len Silver's book at the moment, probably a third of the way through and you realise Speedway was always run on a shoestring, with promoters either making a bit or losing a lot, but what is apparent, so far in the book, is the riders costs were a lot lower. Most riders had only one bike to fork out for and maintain and also, they arrived at the track with a trailer behind a car or a simple bike bracket, no fancy transporter. It wasn't so long ago that the Speedway riders choice of transport was a Citroen estate car. Speedway is trying to live beyond it's means and it is not necessary.

No more expensive to run a van than a big car these days and as most use them as everyday transport you wouldn't save a penny. I am sure most riders would be very happy to run one bike now but the teams and more importantly the fans wouldn't accept it.

Fans expectations of professionalism are probably the biggest reason for the cost increases over the years. Once upon a time they would accept that Fred had to work for a living and may not have the finances or time to turn up with immaculate equipment. No such acceptance these days, just look at the posts on here if a rider has a spell of breakdowns or turns up with dirty kit. It's not even acceptable in the NL where everybody has to work (if not the riders then the parents do). It used to be notable for a rider to turn up for every meeting with really immaculate kit (somebody like Jimmy Squibb was well known for it) now it is the norm.

No more expensive to run a van than a big car these days and as most use them as everyday transport you wouldn't save a penny. I am sure most riders would be very happy to run one bike now but the teams and more importantly the fans wouldn't accept it.

Fans expectations of professionalism are probably the biggest reason for the cost increases over the years. Once upon a time they would accept that Fred had to work for a living and may not have the finances or time to turn up with immaculate equipment. No such acceptance these days, just look at the posts on here if a rider has a spell of breakdowns or turns up with dirty kit. It's not even acceptable in the NL where everybody has to work (if not the riders then the parents do). It used to be notable for a rider to turn up for every meeting with really immaculate kit (somebody like Jimmy Squibb was well known for it) now it is the norm.

I hear what you say Vince, but if a rider is a family man, is he really transporting the family around in the 'Transit'? Although, I suppose the wife would have a car of her own. So are we saying that if riders turned up with one bike, the fans would disappear? I find that unlikely, personally. Also, you just have a system of team members lending their bike to others. And perhaps a track spare, which I know adds cost for the promoter, but if riders are saving on their own kit, the riders can ride for less. As for clean and shiny equipment, not really that difficult and if you only have one bike, even less difficult. Speedway needs to 'cut it's cloth accordingly', otherwise it will gradually fade away. I truly hope it doesn't.

I hear what you say Vince, but if a rider is a family man, is he really transporting the family around in the 'Transit'? Although, I suppose the wife would have a car of her own. So are we saying that if riders turned up with one bike, the fans would disappear? I find that unlikely, personally. Also, you just have a system of team members lending their bike to others. And perhaps a track spare, which I know adds cost for the promoter, but if riders are saving on their own kit, the riders can ride for less. As for clean and shiny equipment, not really that difficult and if you only have one bike, even less difficult. Speedway needs to 'cut it's cloth accordingly', otherwise it will gradually fade away. I truly hope it doesn't.

Maybe by the same logic you suggest to speedway frugality, the wife shouldn't have her own car and the family should be happy being transported in a Transit.

Maybe by the same logic you suggest to speedway frugality, the wife shouldn't have her own car and the family should be happy being transported in a Transit.

Exactly George!