British Speedway Forum
moxey63

Peter Collins In The Star

I agree everyone, including PC, has an opinion, but a rider doesn't necessarily make a good promoter/administrator.

In addition, the world of of sport and business is an entirely different place to when PC was a rider. Yearning for the past to reappear is exactly NOT what this sport needs right now.

• Like 1

I agree everyone, including PC, has an opinion, but a rider doesn't necessarily make a good promoter/administrator.

In addition, the world of of sport and business is an entirely different place to when PC was a rider. Yearning for the past to reappear is exactly NOT what this sport needs right now.

You are quite right to suggest that not every ex rider necessarily makes a good promoter or administrator. Nobody is suggesting that. However, what you seem to ignore is the fact that he was responsible for saving one of the most famous clubs in speedway, errr, as a promoter. I don't think there is anyone who is suggesting that he has all the answers and I am sure he doesn't think he has them either, but the points he makes are entirely valid and some of the rules he refers to have been poor additions to the sport and make it a laughing stock, such as the double points rule, among others and I can't see anyone could question that.

It has nothing to do with yearning for the past, much of the sport today, is as it has always been and it still has many fine qualities. The basic product is right, but there are too many ridiculous rules and too many of the sports administrators are interested only in their own end and not the sport as a whole.

Speedway in the UK isn't in such rude health that the comments of one so well respected can be dismissed out of hand. It's not as if those in charge have done a great job in recent times, is it? Truth is, they need all the help they can muster.

• Like 3

I couldn't agree more. PC has experience of all sides of Speedway. To treat his views with such contempt is not only pathetic, I believe it shows ignorance too.

As for the insult - well - I would far rather hear from PC than whoever quoted the 'Chips and Gravy' remark.

Very RUDE, very INSULTING - I don't think an apology would go amiss.

Dare I say this - the message originally concerned deserves a "Don't Like this..." Link?

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75457&do=findComment&comment=2388829

Edited by Guest

Funny how all threads nearly always end up with an argument, that is usually nothing to do with the original post!

I personally like and admire all the COLLINS boys, must have been an interesting breakfast table in the early days!!!

• Like 1

You are quite right to suggest that not every ex rider necessarily makes a good promoter or administrator. Nobody is suggesting that. However, what you seem to ignore is the fact that he was responsible for saving one of the most famous clubs in speedway, errr, as a promoter. I don't think there is anyone who is suggesting that he has all the answers and I am sure he doesn't think he has them either, but the points he makes are entirely valid and some of the rules he refers to have been poor additions to the sport and make it a laughing stock, such as the double points rule, among others and I can't see anyone could question that

As has been pointed out many a time the old ts rule was far more a laughing stock than the new rule something that Collins makes no comment about ..hence why people say he stuck in the past .

Edited by orion

but of course SS would never publish anything like that because their readership now seems to consist almost entirely of the "bring back the old days brigade" who are only interested in one side of the argument.

As opposed to the 'ignore the past, just stumble on and hope for the best' "brigade" (a perjorative term typically rolled out to insult those who have differing views) who have brought the sport to its current level of outstanding success and of course see both sides of the story but just conveniently ignore one.

I've already stated my position - learn from the past but don't live in it. What I find staggering that those in control of the sport cannot see the appalling mess that they've dragged it into and myopically dismiss anyone who CAN see it as 'living in the past."

Right now I see the sport as like a very ill individual who needs to change their lifestyle but refuses to on the basis that health was 'in the past' and nothing can be done to cure themselves - they have to plough on doing the wrong things and hope for the best.

Who can argue that the ideals I listed earlier aren't desirable? Well then, why can't we even begin to find a way to find a way back?

• Like 1

As has been pointed out many a time the old ts rule was far more a laughing stock than the new rule something that Collins makes no comment about ..hence why people say he stuck in the past .

The past is something that most supporters new or old would not mind a bit of at this present time.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Mort, Rosco (not sure about Middlo TBH), or the two Louis' input or opinion isn't valid, are they. But to suggest the view of one of the most revered figures in speedway, someone who has done everything, spectator, rider and promoter and by the way, saved one of the most famous clubs in the world from extinction, doesn't have something to offer is as stupid as it is ignorant.

To suggest his opinion isn't valid, that he is living in the past and that the points he raised are irrelevant is ridiculous. Speedway is in such a great position compared to 20, 30 and 40 years ago, isn't it? Clearly the promoters of today have got it absolutely right and someone like PC has nothing to offer. Right.

Finally, to call one of the finest exponents of speedway, EVER, an old northern bloke who likes chips and gravy is a gross insult and that person should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Not sure who said it, but I would also happily pay the £17 to any track where he watches his speedway. The sport needs him like it needs most of the rules PC referred to.

I don't know if you have read the whole thread but nobody has said he doesn't have something to offer. This is what SCB posted yesterday;-

"Nobody has said he should have no opinion. everyone is entitled to an opinion. But just because he could ride a speedway bike better than most 30-odd years ago doesn't mean he knows how to make the sport a success now "

He has an opinion but the trouble is some on here think it is think it is the only opinion worth listening to. .

• Like 1

As opposed to the 'ignore the past, just stumble on and hope for the best' "brigade" (a perjorative term typically rolled out to insult those who have differing views) who have brought the sport to its current level of outstanding success and of course see both sides of the story but just conveniently ignore one.

I've already stated my position - learn from the past but don't live in it. What I find staggering that those in control of the sport cannot see the appalling mess that they've dragged it into and myopically dismiss anyone who CAN see it as 'living in the past."

Right now I see the sport as like a very ill individual who needs to change their lifestyle but refuses to on the basis that health was 'in the past' and nothing can be done to cure themselves - they have to plough on doing the wrong things and hope for the best.

Who can argue that the ideals I listed earlier aren't desirable? Well then, why can't we even begin to find a way to find a way back?

But PC argues against those changes which were made to keep others happy, and many on here oppose any change, such as bringing in the protected reserves that serves Poland and Sweden quite well. It's no good going back, it's no good either saying change things and then when they do get it opposed by the angry brigade on here.

The worst that can happen for speedway is try to copy speedway from 30/40 years ago, One off WC finals, uprights, black leathers, anything goes gating, wooden fences, etc. We have got to move on for the new comers as they are the future. The old timers support is of course valuable, I am one of them, but like everything in life, you have to embrace change.

• Like 2

I don't know if you have read the whole thread but nobody has said he doesn't have something to offer. This is what SCB posted yesterday;-

"Nobody has said he should have no opinion. everyone is entitled to an opinion. But just because he could ride a speedway bike better than most 30-odd years ago doesn't mean he knows how to make the sport a success now "

He has an opinion but the trouble is some on here think it is think it is the only opinion worth listening to. .

No i think you for one are just grasping at straws, the sport has been in a far healthier state than now but has not moved forward.Hand on heart now i really fear for the future, don't see much hope and most of the positive stuff i hear are from people who have been involved in the sport for years.No innovation no new ideas no real new blood no one new who could make a difference.
  • Like 1

but the points he makes are entirely valid and some of the rules he refers to have been poor additions to the sport and make it a laughing stock, such as the double points rule, among others and I can't see anyone could question that.

That post is a classic example of the narrow minded view that seems to prevail amongst certain blinkered fans.

Personally I don't like the double points rule, in fact I loath it and have said so many times on here. Nobody would be happier than me to see the back of it. But the plain fact is that various fans have come on here and said they like it and it should stay, so who am I or you, to say our opinion is better than theirs and they are wrong. They are still fans with their opinions.

Bottom line is, it won't stop me going to speedway.

No i think you for one are just grasping at straws, the sport has been in a far healthier state than now but has not moved forward.Hand on heart now i really fear for the future, don't see much hope and most of the positive stuff i hear are from people who have been involved in the sport for years.No innovation no new ideas no real new blood no one new who could make a difference.

You are right, the sport has been in a healthier state, but PC has apparently not suggested any new ideas, just going back to the old ones.

• Like 1

That post is a classic example of the narrow minded view that seems to prevail amongst certain blinkered fans.

Personally I don't like the double points rule, in fact I loath it and have said so many times on here. Nobody would be happier than me to see the back of it. But the plain fact is that various fans have come on here and said they like it and it should stay, so who am I or you, to say our opinion is better than theirs and they are wrong. They are still fans with their opinions.

Bottom line is, it won't stop me going to speedway.

You are right, the sport has been in a healthier state, but PC has apparently not suggested any new ideas, just going back to the old ones.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to look back when things in Speedway were MUCH better than they are nowadays. We MAY even learn how to improve things in our chosen Sport by correcting some of the many mistakes that have been made over the last thirty years or so.

• Like 3

Perhaps it might be a good idea to look back when things in Speedway were MUCH better than they are nowadays. We MAY even learn how to improve things in our chosen Sport by correcting some of the many mistakes that have been made over the last thirty years or so.

Have you not thought that that has been done, and found to be of no real significance to the modern requirements of sport these days.

Constantly looking back serves no purpose other than to keep you in the past.

Have you not thought that that has been done, and found to be of no real significance to the modern requirements of sport these days.

Constantly looking back serves no purpose other than to keep you in the past.

I know you are well connected to Speedway, 'behind the scenes', Mr T, but what do you think Speedway should be doing in 'the present'? If you do respond, could I respectfully ask that it doesn't centre around the rules, for whilst there are some odd rules, I personally believe any changes to improve the amount of people interested in the sport, needs to be beyond the rules of Speedway. And of course, it needs to be affordable for the promoters.