British Speedway Forum

I fort they had to choose from 16-99

The 1-15 rule is out the window due to Pedersen picking 5? Bit confused now!

Woofy chose 1

Numbers are done PURELY for selling merchandise surely? As they do it all the time in motogp etc.

And having things like merchandise available creates engagement for fans with the sport.

I think it's a good way to 'hook' youngsters into the sport. Remember how many kids were wearing Woffy or Holder shirts at Cardiff last year? Quite a few.

• Like 1

I fort they had to choose from 16-99

The 1-15 rule is out the window due to Pedersen picking 5? Bit confused now!

Maximum of 3 digits.

1 - 15 Reserved by the FIM. Nicki Pedersen is ranked 5, so he can have 5 or a number of his own choice, up to 3 digits. 666? :D

ATB

Dave

That is the whole point.....look at other sports.Do any of them play or ride for 3 or 4 different teams?Dalglish had no.7 on his back week in week out.Darcy Ward might have no.1 on his back week in week out for Poole and then have no.354 for the GPs.Now personally if i was a Poole fan i would want Darcy Ward/Poole merchandise rather than just Darcy Ward #354 and the same i would imagine goes for Swedish and Polish fans with their teams.Speedway is a team sport and you tend to see team merchandise.Having said that,you can buy Nicki Pedersen or NKI merchandise and people have done for years without having some number on a cap or t-shirt.....

Like you say,look at other sports.It might work for F1,although i just know Schumacher or Vettel and have no idea which number they have on their cars.But speedway isn't "other sports" and doesn't operate like "other sports" and seems to get itself tied in knots trying to be "other sports"....speedway champions league a good example

All this talk brings to mind another famous #7.....Patrick McGoohan :D

Riders like footballers, can have different numbers for different teams without the world exploding - I think Suarez wears No. 9 for Uruguay as Edinson Cavani wears the No. 7 shirt : )

Fans can cope with such 'complications'.

I love this discussion topic, it is making me smile.

That's catchy.

There are exciting weeks ahead as we hear of each fascinating choice of number.

My favourite integer is 37.

I do hope it Is chosen by someone.

Chris Harris has chosen 37

This numbers game is so boring. Who cares about the riders numbers? This is about as exciting as the invention of the green helmet colours a few years ago. Who cares?

• Like 1

As long as the helmet colors stay I'm sure we can all follow it , new or experienced fans. Why not just be positive about it and if it doesn't work, the moaners can say I told you so.

As long as the helmet colors stay I'm sure we can all follow it , new or experienced fans. Why not just be positive about it and if it doesn't work, the moaners can say I told you so.

It's not about following it though is it - the new numbers do nothing for the fans, you know, the ones who ultimately keep all the riders in employment. At least before their number gave an indication of rank, now it's completely irrelevant to the GP.

Chris Harris has chosen 37

999 numbers (less just the few taken) and HE has taken my favourite of 40 years.

I have changed my favourite number.

It clearly is not as 'lucky' as I thought.

• Like 1

It's not about following it though is it - the new numbers do nothing for the fans, you know, the ones who ultimately keep all the riders in employment. At least before their number gave an indication of rank, now it's completely irrelevant to the GP.

How do you know the new numbers do nothing for the fans? ..and yes, it is all about following it - everyone wants to know whats going on. If you can't follow the racing with a program and the commentator, you won't follow any system!

How do you know the new numbers do nothing for the fans? ..and yes, it is all about following it - everyone wants to know whats going on. If you can't follow the racing with a program and the commentator, you won't follow any system!

Add helmet colours and that's exactly right, their number is irrelevant. With the old numbers at least for the new fan they could understand who the favourites might be.

Add helmet colours and that's exactly right, their number is irrelevant. With the old numbers at least for the new fan they could understand who the favourites might be.

The favorites will be top of the standings, everyone is level in the first meeting and anyone can go on to win the world championship. What number did Tai ware last year and Darcy and what will Holder ware this year if we still had 1-15.

So that point is not relivent due to riders having injuries and being asked back as wild cards!

Anyone got the full list of numbers yet?

At the moment we have

Woffinden 1

Pedersen 5

Holder 23

Harris 37

Ward 43

Hancock 45

NKI 88

Emil 89

Bjerre 91

So that leaves

Jonsson 100 ??