British Speedway Forum

Thanks for that.

Just wondered if sgp and sec start numbers could differ?

Surely not.

I'm sure that BSI and OneSport will make every effort to cooperate on this and all matters for the benefit of Speedway as a whole.

• Like 2

And having things like merchandise available creates engagement for fans with the sport.

I think it's a good way to 'hook' youngsters into the sport. Remember how many kids were wearing Woffy or Holder shirts at Cardiff last year? Quite a few.

Dont really think so.

It's not about following it though is it - the new numbers do nothing for the fans, you know, the ones who ultimately keep all the riders in employment. At least before their number gave an indication of rank, now it's completely irrelevant to the GP.

Quite the opposite, the new numbers will do everything for the fans, you will know exactly who your rider is. Any casual fan watching the odd GP here or there will soon know who the riders are. It can be used for riders merchandise (if the merchandise is of good quality) and be a major boost.

I can remember owning a Mikael Max cap with the No 5 on it, out of date the season after.

The actual numbering system now is confusing, The guy wearing 1 could be in 6th place in the championship. Last season means nothing, so the numbers are worthless anyway.

I wonder who the first rider will be to have their number 'retired'.

Dont really think so.

Don't know much then do you.

Go to a Nascar race and ask anyone and I mean anyone in the crowd who number 24, or number 48 is, or even who used to be No 3 and they will tell you.

Go to a GP and ask who no 7 is and 80% won't know without looking at their programme.

Riders retaining the same number creates awareness, continuity and a brand. That can only be a good thing.

How it is utilised is something different and it remains to be seen which riders take advantage of it.

• Like 2

After his kevlars a couple of season ago I'll be upset if AJ is not #95

The numbers:

1. Tai Woffinden (GB)
33. Jaroslaw Hampel (PL)
88. Niels-Kristian Iversen (DK)
45. Greg Hancock (US)
5. Nicki Pedersen (DK)
89. Emil Sayfutdinov (RU)
55. Matej Zagar (SI)
43. Darcy Ward (AU)
507. Krzysztof Kasprzak (PL)
66. Fredrik Lindgren (SE)
23. Chris Holder (AU)
100. Andreas Jonsson (SE)
91. Kenneth Bjerre (DK)
84. Martin Smolinski (DE)
37. Chris Harris (GB)
16. Wildcard
---
17. Reserve 1
18. Reserve 2
---
19. Troy Batchelor (AU)
20. Michael Jepsen Jensen (DK)

This has got to be the quote of the decade from Paul Bellamy-taken from the GP website

“I can’t wait to see which number comes out on top at the end of the year. With another competitive World Championship race in prospect, all we know is that it will be somewhere between No.1 and No.507.”

• Like 1

Quite the opposite, the new numbers will do everything for the fans, you will know exactly who your rider is. Any casual fan watching the odd GP here or there will soon know who the riders are. Oh I see, I thought their name gave us a big clue. Are you suggesting that they will announce "in red, it's number 45, in blue number 37 rather than say/display their name? It can be used for riders merchandise (if the merchandise is of good quality) and be a major boost.

I can remember owning a Mikael Max cap with the No 5 on it, out of date the season after. Without the number 5 it would've been timeless!

The actual numbering system now is confusing, The guy wearing 1 could be in 6th place in the championship. Last season means nothing, so the numbers are worthless anyway.

I wonder who the first rider will be to have their number 'retired'.

Don't know much then do you.

Go to a Nascar race and ask anyone and I mean anyone in the crowd who number 24, or number 48 is, or even who used to be No 3 and they will tell you.

Go to a GP and ask who no 7 is and 80% won't know without looking at their programme.

Riders retaining the same number creates awareness, continuity and a brand. That can only be a good thing.

How it is utilised is something different and it remains to be seen which riders take advantage of it.

:rofl:

Quite the opposite, the new numbers will do everything for the fans, you will know exactly who your rider is. Any casual fan watching the odd GP here or there will soon know who the riders are. It can be used for riders merchandise (if the merchandise is of good quality) and be a major boost.

until of course the rider gets knocked out of the GP then it is pretty pointless.

Can't wait to get my Chris Harris #37 commemorative ashtray as my computer desk has been crying out for one. As long as it's good quality of course. :rofl: Poor old Chris will have to hope he gets rid of all this #37 merchandise in 2014 as his chances of 2015 or ever whining himself another GP spot must surely be over :t:

And how many casual fans will remember KK is #507 darcy is #43 and Emil #89.

I am an Emil fan but his new number won't help me in the slightest I will just use the really stupid method of remembering which helmet cover he has in the four man race he takes part in.

Your statement is confusing. So the 1-16 confuses fans because 'The guy wearing 1 could be in 6th place in the championship'?

But having KK as #507 is as clear as crystal?

Apart from the top 8 there is no certainty that they will be in the GP the next year so all this merchandising will be plain daft if they are not using these numbers anywhere else. Even the riders in the SEC will not be sure they are going to be in it the year after.

Any Nicki is now #5 because he was 5th last year but will he use #5 in 2015 if he comes 4th this year? And what if he is 7th in the championship after 3 rounds surely fans will be confused by this?

In a sport where stupid ideas are endemic this must surely rank as the daftest idea of all time and that's saying something with speedway.

• Like 1

What is the point......... :neutral:

Quite the opposite, the new numbers will do everything for the fans, you will know exactly who your rider is. Any casual fan watching the odd GP here or there will soon know who the riders are. Oh I see, I thought their name gave us a big clue. Are you suggesting that they will announce "in red, it's number 45, in blue number 37 rather than say/display their name? It can be used for riders merchandise (if the merchandise is of good quality) and be a major boost.

I can remember owning a Mikael Max cap with the No 5 on it, out of date the season after. Without the number 5 it would've been timeless!

No, but they will have their numbers next to their names at all times.

You can knock it all you wish, but the reality is, it's a system used in other sports that works.

http://www.allstarsdirect.co.uk/brands/46-Valentino-Rossi/

What do we have there, ah even in the name of the website its no 46 Valentino Rossi. All his merchandise has his number. As already explained, its brand recognition.

http://store.nascar.com/Dale_Earnhardt_Gear

What do we have there, oh look the number once again is prominent everywhere. This is a guy who was killed 13 years ago too, yet to this day anyone who has the tiniest interest in Nascar will know who No 3 was.

http://store.nascar.com/Dale_Earnhardt_Jr_Gear

And again.

But hey, they're idiots, they haven't got a clue how to make money from merchandise have they....

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Rider numbers have been used in US domestic speedway for over 40 years and its great the GP has caught on. Whats more odd than this new system is a rider changing his number every year. Actually I have restrained from buying merchandise more than once for GP riders knowing it will be out of date by seasons end unless my rider of choice finishes in the same position again.

It may take a while to get used to, but within a year or two the numbers going with names will be very familiar. A fan can now go to Cardiff and buy merch without fear it becomes outdated.

Good news for riders and fans!

• Like 1