British Speedway Forum
Badge

Sounds Like Bad News For West Row

I have to say I can't see them moving back in. I have little doubt that their claims of intimidation were true, so going back there probably isn't a good idea.

But they are still most likely to want to rebuild the house to sell on and recoup monies even if they wont be living there.

Perhaps those locals affected will use all legal means (planning etc) to make it as difficult, expensive and time consuming a project for the couple as is possible.

Don't you see? That is precisely the type of attitude thst gets tracks shut down.

well rolling over and letting these tree hugging nimbys call all the shots has done no good.in fact they think that they are entitled to spoil peoples love of motorsport . about time that everybody stood up to them .

• Like 1

Standing up to them for your right to make noise in pursuit of your sport is absolutely the right thing to do. Trying to claim that right to make noise at 3am is absolutely the way to make sure that you never succeed.

People will never, ever accept motorsport on their doorstep if we aren't reasonable in doing what we can to minimise the nuisance. Some people will never be happy but the silent majority will turn into keen objectors if you insist on the right to make as much noise as you want whenever you feel like it.

• Like 1

Regarding the top line Gustix, I was merely giving an opinion as to why the couple may have a case in the eyes of the supreme court. i.e. when they moved in, activity was low, but then got stepped up. From the couples point of view, they say, moved in when speedway was run on a Sunday afternoon, they could cope with that, then, say stocks start on say a Friday night, which were not there previously. Possibly, the couple would have a case. It's like moving next to a pub and they have live music every Friday night, have done for donkeys years. Manager decides to have live music on Sunday nights as well, those in the area would probably have a case to get, at least, the Sunday live music stopped.

I still don't think that gives them or anyone the right to complain, if you move next to a pub, then you have to be aware, that the potential is there for noise/activity to change. Now if you move somewhere with no pub, then one is going to be built, then you have a case.

But they are still most likely to want to rebuild the house to sell on and recoup monies even if they wont be living there.

Perhaps those locals affected will use all legal means (planning etc) to make it as difficult, expensive and time consuming a project for the couple as is possible.

I suspect that what happens might be less than legal. There was a lot of talk about intimidation in the first court case and although it was never proved I can believe it happened.

Standing up to them for your right to make noise in pursuit of your sport is absolutely the right thing to do. Trying to claim that right to make noise at 3am is absolutely the way to make sure that you never succeed.

People will never, ever accept motorsport on their doorstep if we aren't reasonable in doing what we can to minimise the nuisance. Some people will never be happy but the silent majority will turn into keen objectors if you insist on the right to make as much noise as you want whenever you feel like it.

What you say is fair (as usual) Vince. But what if you have to make noise at 3am ? Its arguable that they do need to.

And this still doesn't get away from the fact that these people moved in next door. As such they knew the stadium was there and, if they did not (which, knowing the area, I find truly incredible) then that is their responsibility and theirs alone.

I repeat: it is not for a locality to change to meet the needs of a newcomer. It is for the newcomer not to have moved in in the first place if it did not suit them.

I suspect that what happens might be less than legal. There was a lot of talk about intimidation in the first court case and although it was never proved I can believe it happened.

What you say is fair (as usual) Vince. But what if you have to make noise at 3am ? Its arguable that they do need to.

And this still doesn't get away from the fact that these people moved in next door. As such they knew the stadium was there and, if they did not (which, knowing the area, I find truly incredible) then that is their responsibility and theirs alone.

I repeat: it is not for a locality to change to meet the needs of a newcomer. It is for the newcomer not to have moved in in the first place if it did not suit them.

Sure, but would you expect there to be noise from the stadium at 3 am? I wouldn't. I wouldn't even be making investigations whether there was noise at 3 am, I would assume the operators had common sense to wrap things up at around 11.00 pm.

Sure, but would you expect there to be noise from the stadium at 3 am? I wouldn't. I wouldn't even be making investigations whether there was noise at 3 am, I would assume the operators had common sense to wrap things up at around 11.00 pm.

When I stayed over in a caravan in the stadium compound, the banger meeting finished about 10.30/11.00pm or so. You then have the bangers themselves being lifted onto trailers and wagons and being driven from the stadium, which probably took another 1-2 hours by the time everyone had left.

They then started work on the track because there was speedway the following day (that doesn't happen much now).

What I will say is that I woke up at 2am or so and heard the noise, then went back to sleep. Bearing in mind where I was, it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

When I stayed over in a caravan in the stadium compound, the banger meeting finished about 10.30/11.00pm or so. You then have the bangers themselves being lifted onto trailers and wagons and being driven from the stadium, which probably took another 1-2 hours by the time everyone had left.

They then started work on the track because there was speedway the following day (that doesn't happen much now).

What I will say is that I woke up at 2am or so and heard the noise, then went back to sleep. Bearing in mind where I was, it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake.

Sounds like it's the stocks/bangers are possibly the issue, but as Gustix has pointed out, Mr Coventry is a stocks/bangers man. Difficult one. I suppose that is why many stocks/banger meetings are run during the day at weekends.

well unfortuanately not everything in life can be wrapped up into nice little boxes and stocks/banger racing create a bit of carnage and also this has to be cleared along with getting wrecked cars onto trailers etc. also there can be delays due to accidents and damage to the track.as Halifax says and rightly so they should have known all this before moving or their agent so TOUGH LUCK. they've got balls enough to take it back to court and whinge and whine so perhaps the motorsport authority should grow a pair and tell them where to get off!

I have been around motorcycle sport for all of my 52 years and if I bought a house near to a track I would be genuinely shocked if they were still making noise at 3am. While I personally wouldn't care it would be reasonable expect the hours of midnight to 6am to be quiet I would have thought.

It would be like having a next door neighbour who worked shifts and played the drums, it would probably suit him to practice at 3am after finishing at 2 but in that instance I would care very much! We cant afford to fall into the trap of believing that allowances should be made because it's something we personally like. You have to ask yourself if the noise you hate most in the world would be acceptable to you for the hours and times you want to run. Hard as it is to believe for some people engine noise is a horrible din :-)

I detest nimbyism in all it's forms but the way to defeat it is to prove that what you are doing is reasonable to anybody with a normal attitude, you will only do that by making and being seen to make every effort to minimise nuisance.

• Like 3

It's fair to say that people moving into an area, should not assume everything is all wrapped up by 11.00pm whatever is next door.

You wouldn't move next door to a drinking establishment assuming it would be wrapped up by 11pm

You wouldn't move next door to a supermarket and assume everything was wrapped up by 11pm

So why a motorsport stadium?

When working shifts never assume a neighbours kids will be quiet when you walk in from work at 7am.

We are a 24 x 7 society.

Edited by Deano

I must admit, the more of this thread i read, the more sympathy I have with the protesting family as it's clear a lot of speedway folk don't give a toss if they upset other people.

Coventry states he has stuck to the terms and conditions of the planning permission. If he could prove this beyond doubt, seems odd why Mildenham stadium is where it is.

I must admit, the more of this thread i read, the more sympathy I have with the protesting family as it's clear a lot of speedway folk don't give a toss if they upset other people.

I don't think that is the case though. Planning restrictions are there for a reason, If the couple had issues with this, then I would have thought there is a process.

My feelings are I don't think the stadium can prove beyond doubt that they are adhering to the planning restrictions.

thats rubbish and you know It .if you have sympathy for the protesting family then youre in the minority. they don't give a toss if they upset people and as deano said we live in a 24/7 society now and a supposedly more tolerant one! why don't they go and live in an old peoples home and contemplate how quiet it will be when they finally depart