British Speedway Forum
Badge

Sounds Like Bad News For West Row

As far as I can see, this will likely result in the situation faced by Brands Hatch after houses were built close to Clearways. Brands have limitations on the number of times they can use the full circuit each year and strict noise and time limits.

Most car race circuits have limitations on noise and curfews.

If the circuit owner thinks noise at 3am is reasonable then I expect they will be given a curfew around 10.30 or 11pm.

When working shifts never assume a neighbours kids will be quiet when you walk in from work at 7am.

I work permanent nights and would never expect anybody to be quiet during the daytime because of it. However if my neighbours had thought it fine to play loud music at 3am when my kids were little they would have found out that I really don't think that is reasonable.

The majority of people still sleep at night and in my opinion have the right to some peace, drinking establishments and supermarkets are well known to be open at unsocial hours so people could be expected to know that in advance. Moving in to an area near a motorsports venue it would be reasonable to assume that midnight to 6am at least the site would be quiet. If I think like that having been a motorsports fan all my life then it seems sure that noise at 3am would seem twice as bad to somebody with no interest.

All the time we want to indulge in noisy pastimes we need to accept that others will hate the noise and have to be seen to take all possible steps to behave responsibly and with regard to their interest. Do that and we have an argument, bury our heads in the sand and carry on doing whatever suits us and we are as bad as them and will lose it all.

• Like 4

I have been around motorcycle sport for all of my 52 years and if I bought a house near to a track I would be genuinely shocked if they were still making noise at 3am. While I personally wouldn't care it would be reasonable expect the hours of midnight to 6am to be quiet I would have thought.

It would be like having a next door neighbour who worked shifts and played the drums, it would probably suit him to practice at 3am after finishing at 2 but in that instance I would care very much! We cant afford to fall into the trap of believing that allowances should be made because it's something we personally like. You have to ask yourself if the noise you hate most in the world would be acceptable to you for the hours and times you want to run. Hard as it is to believe for some people engine noise is a horrible din :-)

I detest nimbyism in all it's forms but the way to defeat it is to prove that what you are doing is reasonable to anybody with a normal attitude, you will only do that by making and being seen to make every effort to minimise nuisance.

I am certainly trying not to look at this as a speedway fan.

What I can say is everyone I have spoken to who isn't a fan agrees that the verdict is ridiculous. A friend of mine knows the problem; someone moved into a house that backs onto a cricket ground, then complained that they can't go into the garden for fear of being hit by a cricket ball.

While I would agree that there should be some attempt at mediation, it still doesn't get away from the fact that these people moved in next to the stadium. That, to me, is the bottom line.

I must admit, the more of this thread i read, the more sympathy I have with the protesting family as it's clear a lot of speedway folk don't give a toss if they upset other people.

I have none whatsoever. As I said above, the bottom line is they moved in next to the stadium. If you don't like the sea, you don't move into a lighthouse.

• Like 2

What I can say is everyone I have spoken to who isn't a fan agrees that the verdict is ridiculous. A friend of mine knows the problem; someone moved into a house that backs onto a cricket ground, then complained that they can't go into the garden for fear of being hit by a cricket ball.

While I would agree that there should be some attempt at mediation, it still doesn't get away from the fact that these people moved in next to the stadium. That, to me, is the bottom line.

I have none whatsoever. As I said above, the bottom line is they moved in next to the stadium. If you don't like the sea, you don't move into a lighthouse.

So making noise at 3 am in the morning is reasonable stadium activity? The Ipswich football ground is surrounded by housing and flats etc. If the blues kicked a game off at 1 am, those dwellers would be well hacked off! And so they should, that is not reasonable and not what you would expect a football stadium to do. Likewise, a stadium running bangers, still clearing the debris and grading the speedway track at 3 am is also unreasonable.

So making noise at 3 am in the morning is reasonable stadium activity? The Ipswich football ground is surrounded by housing and flats etc. If the blues kicked a game off at 1 am, those dwellers would be well hacked off! And so they should, that is not reasonable and not what you would expect a football stadium to do. Likewise, a stadium running bangers, still clearing the debris and grading the speedway track at 3 am is also unreasonable.

that's dedication and enthusiasm for you! the track staff do a great job and sometimes unfortuanately it runs late . tough!. that's how life is. how often theyre clearing till 3 a.m is just what the nimbys will have to prove.

Given that they had been doing it for years, West Row stadium is in the middle of nowhere (no other track, Buxton perhaps excepted, is as isolated) and the fact that I slept through it (and I was in the stadium), yes it is.

But whether its acceptable or not isn't the point.

The point is if you don't like it, don't move in next door. If you didn't know about it, you should have found out.

• Like 2

that's dedication and enthusiasm for you! the track staff do a great job and sometimes unfortuanately it runs late . tough!. that's how life is. how often theyre clearing till 3 a.m is just what the nimbys will have to prove.

Why not do the clearing up the following day? Say, from 9 am? All that is needed is a bit of common sense. I have no idea who Mr Coventry is, but is he the kind of person who thinks of others or just thinks about himself? Just asking, as I haven't a clue, however, starting to build a mental picture!

Interesting to note, during the second world war, some locals used to complain about the bombers taking off from their air bases. People complaining about noise and being 'unreasonable' is nothing new.

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 1

a dunno,,, would probly be the flashing light that did it for me :-(

I once moved into a flat above a family that cooked a lot of curry,,, it stunk 24/7, and I did get sick of the smell,,,

the ironic thing is, I actually like curry and still do,,, but I did eventually move on

The point is if you don't like it, don't move in next door. If you didn't know about it, you should have found out.

How exactly do you do that. Maybe a 12 month vigil camping in the garden of your proposed purchase?

I expect the did like everyone else and went on the findings of the search and assumed, quite reasonably, that a motorsport stadium would have the decency to curtail any noise somewhere between 11pm and midnight. If the stadium operators have allowed engine noise until 3am then it shows a total disregard gor the locality and perhaps deserve everything they now face.

• Like 1

How exactly do you do that. Maybe a 12 month vigil camping in the garden of your proposed purchase?

I expect the did like everyone else and went on the findings of the search and assumed, quite reasonably, that a motorsport stadium would have the decency to curtail any noise somewhere between 11pm and midnight. If the stadium operators have allowed engine noise until 3am then it shows a total disregard gor the locality and perhaps deserve everything they now face.

Why would you need to do that when banger meetings are run fortnightly (or at least monthly) at West Row (albeit only in the summer) ? Attending one meeting and staying around after would be enough.

According to the people who took court action, they didn't even know the stadium was there (which, if you know where it is and where the house is, is quite incredible).

So they either didn't get a search done or that search was so poor that it failed to mention the presence only a few hundred metres away of a stadium that regularly staged speedway, stock car and banger meetings. If they didn't get a search, that's their responsibility. If they did and it didn't mention the stadium, then whoever wrote the search is culpable.

One thing is certain : the stadium owners are neither culpable or responsible for them buying a house near the track and had they researched the neighbourhood properly (as any sensible person would, rather than just relying on assumptions) they would have known that not only was the stadium there but the hours it was used.

Why would you need to do that when banger meetings are run fortnightly (or at least monthly) at West Row (albeit only in the summer) ? Attending one meeting and staying around after would be enough.

According to the people who took court action, they didn't even know the stadium was there (which, if you know where it is and where the house is, is quite incredible).

So they either didn't get a search done or that search was so poor that it failed to mention the presence only a few hundred metres away of a stadium that regularly staged speedway, stock car and banger meetings. If they didn't get a search, that's their responsibility. If they did and it didn't mention the stadium, then whoever wrote the search is culpable.

One thing is certain : the stadium owners are neither culpable or responsible for them buying a house near the track and had they researched the neighbourhood properly (as any sensible person would, rather than just relying on assumptions) they would have known that not only was the stadium there but the hours it was used.

But if, as is being suggested, that engine noise was going on until 3 AM then are they unreasonable wanting it stopped?

Even airports are bound by quite stringent regulation for night flying so if you move in next to Manchester Airport you would expect aircraft noise up to midnight but not after, pubs have quite a lot of restrictions on noise after midnight so why should a motorsport stadium be exempt.

• Like 1

But if, as is being suggested, that engine noise was going on until 3 AM then are they unreasonable wanting it stopped?

Even airports are bound by quite stringent regulation for night flying so if you move in next to Manchester Airport you would expect aircraft noise up to midnight but not after, pubs have quite a lot of restrictions on noise after midnight so why should a motorsport stadium be exempt.

I think I said earlier that I thought that given that the track is in so isolated a place, given that they have been working like that long before the people moved in and given that I stayed in a caravan in the stadium compound and slept through it all it is not unreasonable that they continue until that time.

That doesn't get away from the point that the people moved in next to the stadium and didn't establish that it was there or the hours it was used.

As I said before, if you don't like the sea, you don't move into a lighthouse.

• Like 1

It would be in the planning permission if Mr coventry was told not to make any noise after a certain time.

He claims he has kept within the planning permission granted.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Whatever the rights and wrongs you have to wonder if the judges verdict might have been more favourable had there been no noise during the middle of the night!

• Like 1

How is Terry Waters these days, I read somewhere he had a few problems, does he ever rock up at the Speedway ?