British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Rory Schlein - Team Gb - Would You Be Happy?

He has already ridden for Australia so should be allowed to ride for GB. Nothing personal but he made his choice by birth.

I'm guessing you meant to say shouldn't?

Has he not raced for Australia in any previous years qualifiers ?

Personally I feel that you are what you are and as he has ridden as an Australian in FIM events before, he should stay Australian. Had he have had the choice at the start of his career to represent a different country then thats when it should have been decided and not now when he knows he is unlikely to feature in any Australian team.

Maybe it's just me being old school but I have family history from Switzerland via Germany and even a Great Great Grandmother from USA but I would only ever think of myself as English.

Think it has already been explained that it isn't the licence that determines the nationality.Kylmäkorpi i am sure rode with a Swedish licence last year but is still Finnish and although i haven't seen any pics from his Longtrack win i would bet he had a Finnish flag.At least he told me himself he would ride with a Swedish licence,but still under the Finnish flag......there are plenty more examples.Laguta for instance.

Not a fan of Schlein and wouldn't want him taking a place from a British rider even if they weren't as good

Regarding Kylmäkorpi and licenses it's Swedish->Finnish->Swedish license.

He is also a former Swe U21 champ and I would guess that he has a dual citizenship.

Regarding Kylmäkorpi and licenses it's Swedish->Finnish->Swedish license.

He is also a former Swe U21 champ and I would guess that he has a dual citizenship.

Yes,but that doesn't alter what i was pointing out.That Joonas wasn't classed as Swedish just because he held a Swedish licence although he could ride as a Swede because of his citizenship.He has been riding as a Finn with or without a Finnish licence.

Do wonder though, how often he could swap back and forth as i think he was listed in the preliminary Swedish SWC squad.Think at least in this respect football seem to have got it right and won't allow swapping around

Edited by iris123

Agree, but football does now allow some swapping.

Rory fallon represented england at age group level, but was then allowed to represent the all whites.

Hes not said he want to represent UK (unless i missed that somewhere) so what we all getting in a fuss about. Lets save it till we know more, but thats never stopped anyone on the bsf before?

• Like 1

Hes not said he want to represent UK (unless i missed that somewhere) so what we all getting in a fuss about. Lets save it till we know more, but thats never stopped anyone on the bsf before?

He isn't even able to represent the team GB, like I said it is the passport that counts. It appears he is applying for an ACU license rather than the MA one.

He no doubt has no desire or intention to represent team GB, its just an ill informed article the people seem to be running with.

• Like 2

Beggars can't be choosers so of course it's fine if Rory discovered he was an Australian with an Englishman desperately trying to get out.

Has anyone checked Eddie Kennet is not really Albanian?

Agree, but football does now allow some swapping.

Rory fallon represented england at age group level, but was then allowed to represent the all whites.

Football has always allowed some swapping up to a certain age or level i think.But at around U21 level you have to choose and are stuck with your choice.Had some tugs of war in Germany in the past year or so.One quite recently with a young Turkish/German player,who ended up choosing Turkey.I think that is quite reasonable if you qualify to play for a couple of countries to wait until you are no longer classed as a youth.

In the case of Kylmäkorpi he gets the best of both worlds.His Swedish licence help him in the Swedish leagues and his fyling the Finnish flag helps him with a home Longtrack GP and now most probably the wc in the Finnish speedway GP.Obviously if he is after a SWC medal then he would need to ride for Sweden.But it would be crazy if he could choose to ride for Sweden one year and then Finland the next and maybe swap back again.....

When you think about it quite a lot of Australian riders actually live here and have done for years, they only go home for short periods, maybe applying to be a Brit would get round the visa problem for some?

http://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/3165/british-switch-for-schlein

Personally I think this is about personal gain, as I says about Germany and the GP qualifiers but I certainly would be pleased if Rory decided to get outings for TeamGB. It's not like this hasn't happened in the past with some World class Australian's and New Zealander's.

Personally, I think he could help drive up the standard of our British lads as it becomes more difficult for them to then get it.

Right now we have Woffy & Bomber, after that the quality is much of a muchness. Cook, Barker, Worrall, Bridger etc there isn't much between them. Including Rory will upset some but that means with the Brits they'd have to up their game.

Thought's?

no thanks... Rather give the youngins or new lads experience

Nothing personal but he made his choice by birth.

Really ? You think it was his choice ? Cosy in mummy's womb , everything became perfectly clear obviously.

• Like 3

Rory has British ancestry, is married to a Brit and lives in Britain.

If, and it is a very big IF, he chose to apply for British citizenship, I would have no problem with him being considered for a place in the British SWC side if he declared that he was interested in racing in the SWC for Britain.

As Cj69 has mentioned, there are a few leaps being taken here as a few of those things have so far not happened and so it's all fairly irrelevant...

Of course, maybe Rory is just getting himself prepared to race as a Scot once independence is declared :P

• Like 1