British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
P T Preece

Wolves Vs Birmingham

Cold night but it was a warm welcome for the home fans to see the team click together from the start and even when they didn't gate, they made light work of getting to the front with Piotr Pawlicki looking like a track expert already and easily made his way to the front to complete a fine paid 15 maximum. He has a great partnership with Tai after lots of practice together they are already showing signs they can be a deadly partnership this season and if they get the backing, Wolves could supride a few.

Jacob Thorssell looked very good and when he was beaten it wasn't by much while Ricky Wells was equally as good and both paid for 10 points. Any doubts over Ty Proctor were put to bed early on with a hard fought 5+1 from his first three before falling while third in his final ride. Maybe being at home helped, but he certainly showed enough here to also be considered for a #1 in the Premier League !!!

In the reserves, I fully expected Ashley Morris to be the main one, but Joe Jacobs was the main scorer and won heat two by the length of the straight. Ash admitted to being nervous but time will help and Ty Proctor was close by to keep his chin up and overall it shows up well that Wolves are going to be very difficult to beat at home.

Away may be a different story and the trip to Leicester on March 29th will answer those questions as Piotr Pawlicki can't get out of riding in a Polish U21 Qualifier in Opole, so that will be a big test for the team covering the #5 position.

As for the Brummies team, well Daniel King never really troubled any Wolves rider while Ben Barker apart from a good move to win his tactical ride was way off the pace and after Pawlicki passed him in his opening ride, Eddie Kennett was terrible. Skornicki kept battling and managed to stay ahead of the chasing Thorssell and Daniel Nermark was possibly their best rider with two heat wins but not used as a tactical (but BB was in the next heat)

Paul Starke was better later on but Simon Lambert was a bit patchy but while Brummies overall failed to impress, I'm sure they are going to have a few meetings at home where they are as dominant as Wolves were here.

• Like 1

How easy was that??

I thought, well hoped, if we delivered on the promise shown in practice and last Monday`s opener that 60 points was in our grasp. Well we weren't far off.

Nice to see another big crowd getting a fix of good racing at, without question one of the best racing tracks in the country.

An awful bitterly cold wind certainly didn't help the viewing experience but the dominance of the league leaders soon helped warm the coldest of hands. No doubt the Birmingham lot must have froze to the spot waiting for a chance to clap there teams efforts.

Some hard and committed racing - well if you had a Wolves race jacket on, kept the fans happy.

I predicted 5-1`s in both opening heats to my co-horts who were not quite as sure as me but i knew after heat 2 this was going to be a rout.

Birmingham started as they finished - with no fight. A Phil Morris led side i`m sure would have shown a bit more battling qualities but whilst our management think Birmingham have a strong line up, i do not. And that point was bore out tonight.

Birmingham are full of riders who can, 1-5 all raise there games at times but as a whole unit? I worry where any win is going to come from - even at Perry Barr.

Make no mistake, Wolves were dominant but the Brummies were submissive and passive in most of the meeting.

LEAGUE LEADER MIGHTY WOLVES

WORLD CHAMP - Was threatened briefly by Barker who had not enough skill to take him on in heat 10, the result being that Woffy just forced him wide into the 4th bend allowing Jacob thru. Result Barker at the back. Don`t mess with what you cant beat. Quick and as always looking out for his team partner. One of many 15 pointers this year. 5/5

JACOB - Looks quick and prepared to battle for his points he possibly could have been a weak link in the main team at the start of the season. Think he has shown he is more than capable of beating other second string plus beat Brum`s top 2 to boot. More than did his job and then some. 4/5

TY - Battles as he always does. Doesn't seem quite as quick as his team partners but had the beating of most at what Brum threw at him. Considered the laughing stock because of mostly meaningless meetings lack of scoring but back in the busom of his beloved Wolves and team mates he proved that he will come good with time. No doubt Ty is laughing at those already writing him off - i know i am. 3/5

RICKY - looks really quick and another expected not to have much improvement if one listens to the `expert` predictors. Protected Ty in heat 8 and was chasing Nermark hard in heat 14 Another that more than did his job. 4.5/5

PIOTR - Our sensational Pole already looks like a master of Monmore and even when behind picked off more experienced Monmore performers with ease. Probably will finish with the higher average of the Pawlicki`s. For someone meant to struggle to even match his starting average has started with a paid maximum. CLASS CLASS CLASS. Just think, Poole could have had him on his starting average but deemed to high to take a risk. PMSFL. 5/5 MOTM

JOE - classy gating, confident in front and prepared to mix it. Our reserves will win us most meetings this season. Paid 8 is still a stunning start for the lesser experienced reserve. 4.5/5

ASH - Did his job in heat 2 but then just seemed to struggle with his bike and handling the track. Admitted on the post meet parade that he was nervous and he should have done better. Said he needs to relax on the bike more. 1st meeting nerves riding for his boyhood team out the way now. We still believe Ash! 1.5/5

BORING BRUMMIES

King - not even threatened to do anything like a number one should. Has had good meetings at Monmore and some bad ones. This is a latter performance. Not number one standard on this showing. 1.5/5

Skornicki - would be a threat on any Wolves visit. Showed fight in 2 heats then virtually invisible in the rest. 2/5

Barker - Did the business in heat 8 but was pretty dire otherwise, didn't even look interested in some heats. 1.5/5

Nermark - probably the pick of the visitors.2 fine wins but another who was invisible in the other heats. 2.5/5

Kennett - Isn't Ed meant to be quick and pacy this year so far? Looked ok in heat 3, got caught out by a briefly locking wells in heat 6 on his TR and his chance of points gone. Invisible thereafter. 0.5/5

Lambert - Decent effort, beat his opposite number 3 times out of 4 so more than did his job . 3/5

Starke - Good win in the 2nd reserves race and beat his opposite number 3 times. 2.5/5

ANALYSIS - Both teams reserves did a decent job. Wolves (9+2) to Brum`s 7 so little in it from that perspective.Wolves top 2 were immaculate (27+3) compared to Brum (13) so Brum woefully weak in that department. And if you take it top 3 v top 3 Wolves (32+4) and Brum (15) even worse.

The second strings was slightly more comparable Wolves 17+3 v Brum 13+1.

So the predicted poor Wolves side set off as they intend. No doubt our next home meeting against the Stars could be a different story. On to Leicester and 4 routine points.

Top of the table and staying that way. :approve:

More spin than a washing machine. Yes, wolves are top of the table but your over-exuberance may come back and bite you in the bottom.

• Like 5

[e name=Halifaxtiger" post="2420405" timestamp="1395709506]

Despite the score line, a very entertaining meeting on a superb track with some excellent presentation thrown in.

A good night spoilt only by some a*seh*le breaking into my car.

Someone tried to get into our car too. Thank god for toughened glass But it made for an expensive night.

More spin than a washing machine. Yes, wolves are top of the table but your over-exuberance may come back and bite you in the bottom.

I remember watching us annihilate Mildenhall at the start of the 2008 season and thinking we must be pretty good. Only for everyone else to trash them too.

We are clearly, as everyone predicted, a dreadful team. I wouldn't be reading too much into any result at the moment.

Stevebrum, that match report reads like it was written by a ten year old. Grow up please.

• Like 7

Stevebrum, that match report reads like it was written by a ten year old. Grow up please.

When reading Steve's posts I find that if you imagine a 5 year old with screwed up face going 'NAH NA NA NAH NA' at the end of each one it kind of makes them complete.

Edited by Kester
  • Like 6

Good , that the Elite League is underway. I predicted a Wolves win, but I didn't expect one so emphatic. They obviously performed better than I thought and no doubt will be a hard nut to crack at home. Pawlicki is a class rider and will prove be an adequate replacement for Freddie.

I feel Birmingham will perform better then this but will still languish in the lower regions all season..

I listened to most of it on the computer/ radio. Although I was nice and warm in the comfort of central heating, I missed the Chips and Meat pie you get from the café, and the smell weren't there, but still enjoyed it better than watching the crap on the tele......

he has aged then as I had him down as 3 :lol:
  • Like 1

I remember watching us annihilate Mildenhall at the start of the 2008 season and thinking we must be pretty good. Only for everyone else to trash them too.

We are clearly, as everyone predicted, a dreadful team. I wouldn't be reading too much into any result at the moment.

If "Birmingham 2014" are the new "Mildenhall 2008" and are in for regular tonkings, then maybe there'll be an increase in the number of NL riders from 2 going up to 7 by next season?

If "Birmingham 2014" are the new "Mildenhall 2008" and are in for regular tonkings, then maybe there'll be an increase in the number of NL riders from 2 going up to 7 by next season?

Being trialled by Birmingham this season :wink:

When reading Steve's posts I find that if you imagine a 5 year old with screwed up face going 'NAH NA NA NAH NA' at the end of each one it kind of makes them complete.

100% correct in every comment.

Well, thanks for that. Just what we needed to know. I don't think that on the basis of that I need waste any money this Wednesday then. Nor, by the lack of a thread on the matter, does it look like any other Brummies fans are interested in the Belle Vue fixture either.

Yeah right, as if you were going to turn up regardless, there can't be much left of that axe now considering how long it's been grinding...

• Like 3

Cold night...

Away may be a different story and the trip to Leicester on March 29th will answer those questions as Piotr Pawlicki can't get out of riding in a Polish U21 Qualifier in Opole, so that will be a big test for the team covering the #5 position.

The only negative on last night was once again the promotion showing zero regard for the paying public.

It was a very, very cold night, it was beginning to rain and everyone was expecting there to be no interval. Cue the announcement after heat 10, "The interval will take place after heat 12". Cue a noticable grumble from the crowd and all around me complaining about it.

This was a perfect opportunity for them to announce something along the lines of "Due to the very cold weather tonight and impending rain we won't be staging an interval so you can all get home and into the warm". That would have made the entire crowd happy and sent them home joyous following the emphatic win (bar the Brum fans).

A minor negative on a good night, but another example of where speedway promoters let themselves down.

Meanwhile, was thoroughly looking forward to going to Leicester on Saturday night before returning home on Sunday. Now the news that Pawlicki is going to be missing has already dampened my enthusiasm.

First away match of the season and already he is missing...

• Like 2

So a Wolves team at home beat one of the weakest teams riding their first meeting away. Absolutely no surprise in the result. I stand by saying Wolves won't be near the playoffs and Brum will be bottom two.

As for stevebrum going on about Poole missing out on Piotr, no we didn't as he didn't fit on his average. It's as simple as that. Us Poole fans already knew just how good he was. His broken leg at the end of 2012 helped cost us the title, as he was irreplaceable.

Wolves are a heat leader short of a decent team IMO, as will show as the season progresses. Enjoy your time at the top.

As for Brum, they are not going to cut it with that lineup. Last year they benefitted massively from Smolinski at reserve. Not this time around.

Sorry to hear that HT, what happened to the security?

I arrived late so it was out on the roadway outside the stadium. It was a hire car, too - although I should say that Enterprise have been absolutely excellent.

Won't stop me coming again, though, as Wolverhampton is rapidly becoming one of my favourite tracks.

The only negative on last night was once again the promotion showing zero regard for the paying public.

It was a very, very cold night, it was beginning to rain and everyone was expecting there to be no interval. Cue the announcement after heat 10, "The interval will take place after heat 12". Cue a noticable grumble from the crowd and all around me complaining about it.

This was a perfect opportunity for them to announce something along the lines of "Due to the very cold weather tonight and impending rain we won't be staging an interval so you can all get home and into the warm". That would have made the entire crowd happy and sent them home joyous following the emphatic win (bar the Brum fans).

A minor negative on a good night, but another example of where speedway promoters let themselves down.

Agree completely - although I should say I loathe intervals full stop.

They did the same at Newcastle the night before, and it was a lot colder there.