British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ghostie

Chris Bomber Harris Performances

Get off the blokes back you people who slag him off just come out every time he scores poorly .... Loved watching the bloke in the league last year yes wasn't brilliant but always rides hard and makes for a good spectacle. Is he good enough for gp ? Probably not but he's there so support him there's even people running woffy down now saying he's blown it and he's rubbish I find it staggering the criticism the british riders get....

And on the back of that people wonder why the wonder kid lambert doesn't want to ride for gb this thread explains maybe why he doesn't want to....

Oh get over yourself, the people you claim that are on his back are probably the ones paying money at the gate to watch. If his performances aren't up to scratch then IMO they are more than entitled the voice their opinions.

• Like 2

When he rides well Harris, like all riders is praised, often to the hilt.

Equally when he is embarrassing people comment and the general speedway press are very fair compared to many sports.

At the moment Harris has scored two points from two GP's; Jason Bunyan has 2 from one. That says it all.

• Like 2

At the moment Harris has scored two points from two GP's; Jason Bunyan has 2 from one. That says it all.

...and Bunyan had a broken rib.

• Like 1

I think so yes and there are a whole host of reasons why. I remember once having a professional rider asking me what clutch springs and plates I used because my bike was so much faster off the start than theirs - had to tell them the springs were 5 years old and the plates standard Jawa that had been in all season. You should have seen the look on their face!

There is a lot of keeping up with the Joneses which doesn't necessarily mean you are any quicker on the track - the rider themselves make a huge difference. Again, examples in the past of top riders using someone else's bike and still winning, despite that bike being pretty much 'out of the box' and getting a lower BHP figure on the dyno.

Sorry but I think that's a long way from true once you get to a certain level. The top tuners aren't about making every ounce of power they can from an engine but about setting up something that works for a particular rider under certain conditions.

While there's no doubt that the rest of the set up has a major influence in my opinion if KK was on a bog standard motor last Saturday night he wouldn't have scored a point. A rider might jump on somebody else's bike and do well but that will more likely be because that bike just suits the conditions better at that time.

At lower levels I couldn't agree with you more about a lot of money being spent for no reason but as riders get better the difference in their ability narrows and every little advantage becomes more noticeable.

• Like 2

Bombers last two Bees performances were decent which is what us Bees fans care about the most. Gps performances are shocking so far but I tend to think (and hope) that will improve once the series gets into the temporary tracks. He rarely does well at the bigger tracks.

Sorry but I think that's a long way from true once you get to a certain level. The top tuners aren't about making every ounce of power they can from an engine but about setting up something that works for a particular rider under certain conditions.

While there's no doubt that the rest of the set up has a major influence in my opinion if KK was on a bog standard motor last Saturday night he wouldn't have scored a point. A rider might jump on somebody else's bike and do well but that will more likely be because that bike just suits the conditions better at that time.

At lower levels I couldn't agree with you more about a lot of money being spent for no reason but as riders get better the difference in their ability narrows and every little advantage becomes more noticeable.

Well we can both speculate but I don't think we'll ever have the evidence to say one way or another sadly. KK's engine in Harris' bike, would he have won the GP? I'd say no. Harris' engine in KKs bike would he have won the GP? Quite possibly.

Would KK have won on Harris's bike? Very doubtful in my opinion. Of course you need ability but like that boring F1 it's about engine performance and set up.

Well we can both speculate but I don't think we'll ever have the evidence to say one way or another sadly. KK's engine in Harris' bike, would he have won the GP? I'd say no. Harris' engine in KKs bike would he have won the GP? Quite possibly.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Like 1

Well I have to say that Chris Bomber Harris is still having a shocking season.

It's just not good enough ????

Last nights score of 8 was average expect a little more at home but other riders scores deserve more criticism than Bombers.

• Like 2

Bomber obviously knows how to ride a bike, pass riders and is fast enough to win races... when he gates

When he gates! It's his obvious weak point. I've spent years watching him in the grand prix and he's nearly always a bike length down before the race is 1 second in. That's far too much to give away at that level and he's not much better at league level. It's there for all to see.

What I'd like to know is, what has he done to solve that problem in the last 10 years? Because as far as I can see that's the ONLY problem he's got

I know if I were in his position with such an obvious major flaw in my game and I had aspirations of being world class and not just a journey man I would be working hard on this particular aspect of my game, he's got everything else. From an outsiders point of view it seems to me he's labelled himself as a bad starter and that's it. Surely in 2014, sports science is sophisticated enough with the right mentoring for this weakness to be eradicated from his game

Edited by iainb

He was 'throwing some shapes' in the after-meeting disco under the stand apparently?!

Maybe its all part of the sports science and psychology.......................?? :D

• Like 1

Bomber obviously knows how to ride a bike, pass riders and is fast enough to win races... when he gatesWhen he gates! It's his obvious weak point. I've spent years watching him in the grand prix and he's nearly always a bike length down before the race is 1 second in. That's far too much to give away at that level and he's not much better at league level. It's there for all to see.What I'd like to know is, what has he done to solve that problem in the last 10 years? Because as far as I can see that's the ONLY problem he's gotI know if I were in his position with such an obvious major flaw in my game and I had aspirations of being world class and not just a journey man I would be working hard on this particular aspect of my game, he's got everything else. From an outsiders point of view it seems to me he's labelled himself as a bad starter and that's it. Surely in 2014, sports science is sophisticated enough with the right mentoring for this weakness to be eradicated from his game

In the 50 years I've been watching this great sport, there have been a lot of riders who were poor gaters - their reaction times were not quite as sharp as others so they zoomed away from the start line a tad behind the rest

With Bomber it has always seemed to me that the biggest problem with his starts is not his own reactions (maybe they are slightly slower than the rest, I don't know) but the fact that he is so sluggish out of the traps on many occasions - no zooming away just behind but terribly terribly sluggish

Is that down to rider or equipment? Is it bike set ups or clutches (perhaps he needs to talk to KK's brother!) or something else mechanical?

As I say, to me, many of Bomber's poor starts look like they are down to the bike and not the rider - sure he's not a top starter, but I do think there's more to this

Edited by Midland Red

I can see Bomber giving up in the EL league and world stage after this or next season. Would hate for him to go down to the Pl. Think he would be far better looking out for a postion as a team manager, or helping out with the younger lads in the sport. I think he has reached the end of the road as far as top flight speedway is concerned.