British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Lewis Bridger (depression)

Its also a word to use for failure and very easy to say these days. life is hard, but get on with it and make the most of it while your here.

Look at what you have and not what you DON'T.

• Like 2

I would respectfully suggest that there are one or two posters on this thread who have never suffered with depression or been close to anyone that has.

At least I prefer to put their attitude down to ignorance/lack of knowledge rather than idiocy/lack of sympathy as I have great regard for some of their other posts.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 6

Its also a word to use for failure and very easy to say these days. life is hard, but get on with it and make the most of it while your here.

Look at what you have and not what you DON'T.

Take a look at Screamers post. We're all different and I don't think you can say who will and who won't suffer from it, though it appears it can run in families. From your likes and your post you come across as someone who has never suffered, or been close to one who has, so think yourself fortunate. Once you are consumed by this darkness it really isn't easy to 'get on with it' or as some say, 'pull yourself together'. You have good and bad times and it really isn't about what you have or want. A whole variety of situations can lead to this awful condition. Medication suits some while others find their own way through it and their own triggers to pull them back when they feel a downturn coming on. Can I suggest, politely and respectfully, that you do a little research, or maybe spend some time with a sufferer. That way, you just might understand what depression really is.

If Bridger is genuinely depressed why would he be popping wheelies in his races at Wolverhampton whilst at the back? I'd have thought that was the last thing he would want to do.

Maybe he was trying to cheer himself up.

I would respectfully suggest that there are one or two posters on this thread who have never suffered with depression or been close to anyone that has.

At least I prefer to put their attitude down to ignorance/lack of knowledge rather than idiocy/lack of sympathy as I have great regard for some of their other posts.

Edited for spelling

If we are on the subject of Lewis Bridger's depression which I presume that's what we are still talking about - I am anyway because that is what the thread is headed. I have every sympathy for those with a real reason to be depressed (including some posters on here) but if a speedway rider is 'depressed' then it's in his hands to change things and make his life better. Give up speedway and get a job in a supermarket, care home or something similar where there will be less stress and there isn't the importance to perform to a high level.

And yes Star Lady I have been close to people with depression, including my mother who had a 'nervous breakdown' and I took time off work to look after her and she eventually got back to her normal self.

.......grachan...... Maybe he was trying to cheer himself up.

So someone has already said. Next time I'm at a meeting and a rider is popping wheelies whilst in last place and the other 3 are racing like they're paid to do I'll try to be more sympathetic. :lol:

Why? It's true about both of my grandmothers anyway. They had a pretty grim life compared to how it is today. Pregnant every other year and coping with a family of 9 and 12 children respectively in a two bedroom terraced house. Washing by hand and using a mangle to wring the clothes out etc. Stacks of ironing afterwards and cooking for a big family while the old boy went off down the pub for the evening. Things are so much easier now and we have seemingly everything we want but still get depressed. :neutral:

I think people years ago were all in the same boat, no money, low expectations (compared to now) and basically happy with the lot on the whole. Times have changed completely, we now crave everything, want to be the best, want to do the lot and go everywhere and many people are just not settled and happy with their life. Put that together with all the abuse, neglect, hate etc and life can be a right old pain!
  • Like 2

I have every sympathy for those with a real reason to be depressed (including some posters on here) but if a speedway rider is 'depressed' then it's in his hands to change things and make his life better. Give up speedway and get a job in a supermarket, care home or something similar where there will be less stress and there isn't the importance to perform to a high level.

I didn't realise speedway riders were immune from getting depression. I'm not sure giving up something you love doing is going to help any recovery.

Sorry Gemini I have the utmost respect for you but your attitude and that of some others goes someway to explain why sufferers of depression do not tell people.

I'm no fan of Lewis Bridger but it must have taken enormous courage to go public in the knowledge of how it would be received by some.

• Like 5

Should he be allowed to ride when he is suffering from something like this,i wonder?

Should he be allowed to ride when he is suffering from something like this,i wonder?

:lol: depression doesn't make people dangerous for goodness sake.

I didn't realise speedway riders were immune from getting depression. I'm not sure giving up something you love doing is going to help any recovery.

Sorry Gemini I have the utmost respect for you but your attitude and that of some others goes someway to explain why sufferers of depression do not tell people.

I'm no fan of Lewis Bridger but it must have taken enormous courage to go public in the knowledge of how it would be received by some.

Some seem to think his issues are Speedway related, that's how closed minded some can be.

• Like 2

Why? It's true about both of my grandmothers anyway. They had a pretty grim life compared to how it is today. Pregnant every other year and coping with a family of 9 and 12 children respectively in a two bedroom terraced house. Washing by hand and using a mangle to wring the clothes out etc. Stacks of ironing afterwards and cooking for a big family while the old boy went off down the pub for the evening. Things are so much easier now and we have seemingly everything we want but still get depressed. :neutral:

Clinical depression is not feeling fed up or lack of strength of character. I have never suffered from it myself and used to think it was something you could shrug off until I came into one or two strong people who suffered from it. As I understand it, clinical depression is something that can be caught just like catching flu or shingles. You can't think your way out of it. It can affect different people in different ways but someone who I know who has it describes it as being fine some days then another day he will wake up and can't make a simple decision like what shirt to wear. Its very difficult for those of us that don't suffer from it to understand.

Of course there are some people who say they are depressed when they are just a bit down and consumed by self-pity just as some say they have a migraine when they only have a headache or say they have the flu when they only have a cold but genuine clinical depression is not a nice thing. M.E. is thought to be caused by the same family of illnesses that cause depression and that is another thing that causes wrong signals to be sent to the brain causing the sufferer to feel permanently tired.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

:lol: depression doesn't make people dangerous for goodness sake.

Surely if it is a mental illness that affects decision making for instance,and also seems to need drugs to help then it sounds pretty dangerous for someone to participate in a motor sport.And i thought i have read once or twice of people taking not only their own life,but the life of others.That sounds fairly dangerous

Take a look at Screamers post. We're all different and I don't think you can say who will and who won't suffer from it, though it appears it can run in families. From your likes and your post you come across as someone who has never suffered, or been close to one who has, so think yourself fortunate. Once you are consumed by this darkness it really isn't easy to 'get on with it' or as some say, 'pull yourself together'. You have good and bad times and it really isn't about what you have or want. A whole variety of situations can lead to this awful condition. Medication suits some while others find their own way through it and their own triggers to pull them back when they feel a downturn coming on. Can I suggest, politely and respectfully, that you do a little research, or maybe spend some time with a sufferer. That way, you just might understand what depression really is.

It should be remembered that some people don't get through it - they decide to end it all.

• Like 1

I have every sympathy for those with a real reason to be depressed (including some posters on here) but if a speedway rider is 'depressed' then it's in his hands to change things and make his life better.

I have every sympathy for those with a real reason to catch the flu/get cancer, but if a speedway rider is "sick" its in his hands to get better.

See how ludicrous that sounds. Depression is an illness, it doesnt discriminate between rich and poor, sportspeople or tradesmen, young or old.

Some people can get through it on their own, other s do with support from others, some never escape it. All deserve our sympathy and support.

Surely if it is a mental illness that affects decision making for instance,and also seems to need drugs to help then it sounds pretty dangerous for someone to participate in a motor sport.And i thought i have read once or twice of people taking not only their own life,but the life of others.That sounds fairly dangerous

I would imagine that certain drugs would preclude the rider from racing if consumed within a certain time period prior to the meeting. Otherwise I dont see any argument that someone depressed is more likely to try and harm other ridersthan any other - tgere is no ban on riders who has just broken up with his girlfriend, have a fiery temper etc.

• Like 1

I think we can all relax now anyway because Lewis seems to have recovered and is looking forward to riding for Lakeside in their match against Coventry and I've learned a valuable lesson about depression so all is well with the World again. :)

I think we can all relax now anyway because Lewis seems to have recovered and is looking forward to riding for Lakeside in their match against Coventry and I've learned a valuable lesson about depression so all is well with the World again. :)

Gem, enough now surely. You've made your point! :rolleyes:

• Like 2