British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Lakeside V Kings Lynn 19 May El A Sky Match

Should be a good meeting hopefully we will have a new signing if not Hammers fans watch this match on telly instead do not pay our skippers wages after he has mugged us off big style.

• Like 1

Jon Cook knows his heat leaders well enough. I expect the main reason he kicked off about them is because he lost another side-bet with his mate Matt!!!? :wink::D

important meeting but i think the gate will be hit quite hard, i normally stand with seven or eight people and they had already made their minds up over a week ago that they were not going to the Lynn meeting because of the simple issue of cost, why pay £20 plus petrol (remember only way to get to the track is by car or public transport and most live a lot further away than five minutes down the road, for those in Kent they have to pay three or four quid on top to get over and under the river) why do all that and have to also put up with the long drawn out delays for ad breaks etc when its on your telly that you have already paid a subcription too?

The words of Mr Cook sound like those of a worried man afraid that no one is going to turn up on Monday because of the performance at Poole, however a low crowd wont be as a result of that, just people watching the pennies and will choose instead to go Saturday at home to Poole, Saturday meetings are a lot more familiy friendly and no need to get worried about the M25 playing up.

As far as im concerned i will watch the Lynn meeting at home and maybe go saturday depending on what time i get home from Duxford which is holding its first air show of the year.

I think the crowds have gone down at lakeside this year, but they are not alone. It seems to be a worrying ongoing trend everywhere.

I could never miss a home meeting because it's on TV, sitting on ya settee watching speedway is crap compared to watching live! Support your club people, use them or lose them, it's your club, look after it!

• Like 8

Just remembered it was not too far away from this point last season we had a meeting on a Monday and a Friday, the Monday was a sky meeting and Seb Ulamek made his debut and the crowd was terrible but during that week the weather which since the start of that season had been on the cold side turned around into much warmer weather the gate for the Friday was really big and continued that way for the next couple of months so yes whilst our crowds have not been that great although the good friday was pretty good i think with the arrival of this warmer weather we are getting (if it stays) could improve matters, not for the sky meeting on the monday but Poole on the Saturday if the weather is warm i think a gate of 1500-2000 no problems at all, maybe more?

• Like 1

The Big question is, How many will lakeside turn us over by.

I would not miss a home meeting if we had the team you have got :rofl:

Good or bad I've supported Lynn, things weren't quite so good in the eighties and nineties! It's only since probably 2000 that we've considered winning anything at all! Before then it was the racing alone.
  • Like 3

Thats True. Lynn have had a lot of famine years. I dont really think the fans have ever expected to win things in the top League of British Speedway. I well remember turning up to see over hill Oily Nygren and Trevor Hedge riding for Lynn, along with Cas Middleton. What a shocking team that was. I think that was the year a certain 16 year old turned up as a double up rider with Boston. So the whole year wasnt a complete wash out.

• Like 1

The Big question is, How many will lakeside turn us over by.

"O ye of little faith" :wink:

If KB is up for it and we have a guest-free team I see no reason why at least a point isn't possible.

"O ye of little faith" :wink:

If KB is up for it and we have a guest-free team I see no reason why at least a point isn't possible.

Not a matter of faith. I seem to recall Rob Lyon saying in previous years he never goes there with too much hope. I guess all teams have a track that is not for them. I would suggest ours is coming up Monday. If we can keep it to 10/12 would be ok for us. Anything better would be something else.

Is it on Sky/Wiziwig or Bet365 ?

is KB riding then ?

Not a matter of faith. I seem to recall Rob Lyon saying in previous years he never goes there with too much hope. I guess all teams have a track that is not for them. I would suggest ours is coming up Monday. If we can keep it to 10/12 would be ok for us. Anything better would be something else.

Is it on Sky/Wiziwig or Bet365 ?

is KB riding then ?

DW lol - i know what you meant - and yes it IS a poor track for Lynn (poor track for most ppl) - but y'never know....

Its on Sky so we'll be able to see how well (or not) we do - and I guess KB will only know if he feels ok after the GP - but hope its positive.

I am going to this one on Monday, and there are a few reasons for that:

The weather forecast is (at the moment) good, that at Wolverhampton is dreadful;

Belle Vue is too close to home;

The track at Kent is terrible;

I think since Cook and Douglas took over Lakeside is a decent racing track;

King's Lynn are very attractive visitors;

Its entirely possible both teams will be at full strength;

With a bit of luck I'll get to have another chat with my texting partner Bryn Williams;

and finally:

There's absolutely no comparison between watching speedway on the box and being there.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

Thats True. Lynn have had a lot of famine years. I dont really think the fans have ever expected to win things in the top League of British Speedway. I well remember turning up to see over hill Oily Nygren and Trevor Hedge riding for Lynn, along with Cas Middleton. What a shocking team that was. I think that was the year a certain 16 year old turned up as a double up rider with Boston. So the whole year wasnt a complete wash out.

Wonderful. it was only yesterday you posted :

• Semion
  • 7,748 posts Posted Yesterday, 07:23 PM : GRW, can I help it if I'm always right and you are always wrong. soundly like some self professed .........!

And now you come out with the(Above) I can assure you are well wrong. Nygren, Hedge and Middleton were here and gone long before Michael Lee arrived. We had two decent sides between that trio and Lee arriving...So it pleases me to inform you, that you are WRONG with your memory, your timing is way out

In the early 70's we had a wonderful team of Betts, Simmo, Howard Cole, Phil Crump, Bob Humphreys and Crowson. I believe we finished second only to the mighty Belle Vue, inspired by the great Ivan Mauger. It was good times then with big crowds . We thought then it was only a matter of time before that title came our way.

Now 40 tears on and we're still waiting.. Who knows? probably this will be our year.... we can all but hope.