British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Lakeside V Kings Lynn 19 May El A Sky Match

great result for the boys lucky the dane Mikkel was not on form gutted for nick also blow his engine seem he cant find a decent engine tuner in the uk .

Disspointing night on several fronts tonight. The utter lack of atmosphere caused by the low turnout was noticeable. I appreciate that's down to the match being on TV. What's not excusable is the continued throwing away of league points. I don't know what the answers are, but something has to change if we're serious about a title challenge.As for the tactical ride points, well what can I say? Maybe they should make the tactical rider wear a jester's hat on top of his helmet, as befits the JOKE rule. In the end, despite all our shortcomings, if this rule did not exist we WOULD have won. At the end of the season Kings Lynn will have 2 additional points in the table, and we'll have 2 less, as a direct result of this ridiculous rule. That may prove crucial.This isn't sour grapes, I genuinely despise this rule.Congrats to the Stars for a good battling performance, and a tip of the hat to Niels Kristian Iversen for one of the most dominant performances ever seen at the Raceway.

For away fans the tactical ride gives some assurance that their team can make a meeting competitive enough to warrant spending £17 plus travel to attend. Tonight it kept the meeting close and exciting. For home fans it's always unwelcome, but is a fair counter balance to home track advantage. Where it's unfair in my opinion is where the home team gets to use it.

• Like 3

For away fans the tactical ride gives some assurance that their team can make a meeting competitive enough to warrant spending £17 plus travel to attend. Tonight it kept the meeting close and exciting. For home fans it's always unwelcome, but is a fair counter balance to home track advantage. Where it's unfair in my opinion is where the home team gets to use it.

The sad thing is we have rode well enough all season not to use it even at Lynn. I think that's what erks some!

• Like 1

Disspointing night on several fronts tonight. The utter lack of atmosphere caused by the low turnout was noticeable. I appreciate that's down to the match being on TV. What's not excusable is the continued throwing away of league points. I don't know what the answers are, but something has to change if we're serious about a title challenge.

As for the tactical ride points, well what can I say? Maybe they should make the tactical rider wear a jester's hat on top of his helmet, as befits the JOKE rule. In the end, despite all our shortcomings, if this rule did not exist we WOULD have won. At the end of the season Kings Lynn will have 2 additional points in the table, and we'll have 2 less, as a direct result of this ridiculous rule. That may prove crucial.

This isn't sour grapes, I genuinely despise this rule.

Congrats to the Stars for a good battling performance, and a tip of the hat to Niels Kristian Iversen for one of the most dominant performances ever seen at the Raceway.

If there wasn't the TR rule then Lynn would've had a TS in heat 8 maybe and another in heat 10 or 13 if the old tactical substitute rules still applied, so its likely Lynn would STILL have won.

Personally, I despised the old TS rule as it could be used with only a 6 point difference and used any number of times. At least with the TR the gap is 10 or 12 and can only be used twice.

• Like 2

Poor showing from the Lynn promotion, this is supposed to be a Sky spectacle.

And it was !

Regarding the quick appearance of the tractor.

Please let me try and put that one to bed.

There would have been no intent whatsoever to cause confusion or gain an unfair advantage.

You have to bear in mind that Sky Meetings are run to extremely precise, strict timings. Advertisers are paying for specific, timed and contracted slots for their sponsored ads to appear. Failure by Sky in this regard could potentially make them liable to refunding advertisers.

Generally, any respective club has complete autonomy on how a meeting is run. Dependent upon weather conditions, we all know that track-grading is undertaken throughout a meeting - in liaison between (primarily) the Clerk of the Course and the Track Curator; and with advance communication (of at least one heat) with the Referee and both Team Managers.

At a Sky meeting, it's a totally different scenario. Basically, their producer runs the entire meetings' timings. You are told when advert breaks are coming up; and HAVE to grade accordingly.

The tractor with the water trailer at Lakeside is kept to the rear of the pits in accordance with safety standards - and whereby it often has to refill the water tanker via the rear car park. To this end, our tractor drivers (Ken and Gerald) are on a very tight timescale during Sky meetings to fill up in advance, then drive safely through the pits (which is particularly manic during televised meetings due to extra personnel and expensive equipment), and onto the track ASAP to do their few grading laps. What I'm basically trying to say is that time is truly of the essence.

Having performed my first Clerk of the Course duty two years ago, at our Sky Meeting against Poole, you literally have so many more balls to juggle than usual. On a two-way radio to the Ref about team changes, another to the Track Curator (telling him to go out and grade/hurry up/come off - and try holding a conversation above the noise of a 60 year-old tractor engine!) whilst Sky are shouting down your earhole about something else completely!

Sky obviously pay the dosh so have the right to call the shots. And each meeting is assessed by them to ensure everything has gone to their timescales. Hence the reason that EVERYONE involved with any club, associated in any track-staff perspective, are so very often the unsung (and unpaid I hasten to add!) heroes of our sport.

• Like 1

Rule 15.4 During a Heat the Referee may order the disqualification of a Rider, who must withdraw immediately from the course, but still allow the Heat to continue; this may include when (a) both wheels of the motorcycle cross the inner edge of the track unless such action is for another Rider’s safety or due to another Rider’s unfair action, ( B) a Rider receives outside assistance, including communication to/from the Pits, 3rd party physical contact with the motorcycle or Rider regardless of whether it assists the Rider or not and © a Rider is lapped.

Lambert should have got the point . The referee said he was disqualified because he had outside communication yet the referee admitted he heard nothing. . The referee was asked what was said and he said "I do not know"

• Like 1

Was a watchable meeting tonight, i dont usually enjoy it here but there was some half decent racing tonight .Lambert impressive has a good racing brain for someone so young if he keeps on learning he will be a force in years to come.Puk same old reliable machine of a rider points everywhere young Morley also was decent a great win for the Stars 2014 champions.?

• Like 1

Lambert should have got the point . The referee said he was disqualified because he had outside communication yet the referee admitted he heard nothing. . The referee was asked what was said and he said "I do not know"

being on the exit of the second bend it was plain to see it was one of the pit crew waving and shouting at him and pointing, and Robert responded only after the message had sunk in. Otherwise he was ready to go to the pits. As a stars fan I thought it was a fair call. Though bit later it was said the exclusion was due to Robert having a tyre on the outside of the track, so got a bit murky then as to which offence he was excluded for.
  • Like 1

a great win for the Stars 2014 champions.?

Nope, way to early for that. We're still yet to see the big move from the Pirates. Write them off at this early stage at your peril

• Like 1

To be honest, I find it daft anything about outside influence is in the rulebook, how much difference is someone yelling and waving on the sidelines going to make ?,.

• Like 1

To be honest, I find it daft anything about outside influence is in the rulebook, how much difference is someone yelling and waving on the sidelines going to make ?,.

If it was my wife a lot!!!!!!

• Like 1

Regarding the quick appearance of the tractor.

Please let me try and put that one to bed.

There would have been no intent whatsoever to cause confusion or gain an unfair advantage.

You have to bear in mind that Sky Meetings are run to extremely precise, strict timings. Advertisers are paying for specific, timed and contracted slots for their sponsored ads to appear. Failure by Sky in this regard could potentially make them liable to refunding advertisers.

Generally, any respective club has complete autonomy on how a meeting is run. Dependent upon weather conditions, we all know that track-grading is undertaken throughout a meeting - in liaison between (primarily) the Clerk of the Course and the Track Curator; and with advance communication (of at least one heat) with the Referee and both Team Managers.

At a Sky meeting, it's a totally different scenario. Basically, their producer runs the entire meetings' timings. You are told when advert breaks are coming up; and HAVE to grade accordingly.

The tractor with the water trailer at Lakeside is kept to the rear of the pits in accordance with safety standards - and whereby it often has to refill the water tanker via the rear car park. To this end, our tractor drivers (Ken and Gerald) are on a very tight timescale during Sky meetings to fill up in advance, then drive safely through the pits (which is particularly manic during televised meetings due to extra personnel and expensive equipment), and onto the track ASAP to do their few grading laps. What I'm basically trying to say is that time is truly of the essence.

Having performed my first Clerk of the Course duty two years ago, at our Sky Meeting against Poole, you literally have so many more balls to juggle than usual. On a two-way radio to the Ref about team changes, another to the Track Curator (telling him to go out and grade/hurry up/come off - and try holding a conversation above the noise of a 60 year-old tractor engine!) whilst Sky are shouting down your earhole about something else completely!

Sky obviously pay the dosh so have the right to call the shots. And each meeting is assessed by them to ensure everything has gone to their timescales. Hence the reason that EVERYONE involved with any club, associated in any track-staff perspective, are so very often the unsung (and unpaid I hasten to add!) heroes of our sport.

Yep understand that fully.

Point was though that just maybe Lambert saw the riders going in and tractor coming so presumed race was over,and was dissuaded to go round for a point, and maybe the ref should've considered exactly what you're saying and that it might've influenced what happened. It was a correct decision by the ref yes but maybe a bit harsh under the circumstances. I'm just thankful it made no difference to the end result :)

• Like 1