British Speedway Forum
stratton

Jim Airey How Good Was He?

Was going through all my records, i personally only see Jim ride once how good was he.?Would be nice to know from people who see more of Jim his premature retirement robbed us i believe.His record on the big tracks is superb and by all accounts he took some beating at the Sydney show ground. Any thoughts.!

I only saw Jim Airey about seven or eight times during the Sixties. I saw him a few times at Sunderland (Saints) in his debut Season over here. He came over with the late Gordon Guasco. It was obvious even at that early stage that he was a real talent.

Later he became a great Rider and could meet and beat the very best on his day.

I saw him ride a few times at wembley and Wimbledon in the 1970's. Not enough to make an impression on me at the time, although I was only a nipper!

Edited by cityrebel

I remember him coming to Glasgow as Sheffield's number 1 when i was a lad . Always a threat to Monk , McMillan and co when the minor Tigers were up here . He reached a World Final ( something Monk incredibly never did ) and was a member of a winning Great Britain World Team Cup side . Maybe we should let the Aussies ride for us now :lol:..........................oh wait a minute lol

Edited by Paulco

I remember him coming to Glasgow as Sheffield's number 1 when i was a lad . Always a threat to Monk , McMillan and co when the minor Tigers were up here . He reached a World Final ( something Monk incredibly never did ) and was a member of a winning Great Britain World Team Cup side . Maybe we should let the Aussies ride for us now :lol:..........................oh wait a minute lol

Monk did have an incredible career, never mentioned really but he was a force up until the late 60s.I actually got his autograph when riding for Halifax, at the time was so chuffed as apparently he was a quiet man a bit moody never smiled so it was a feat to get it.Back to Airey he only reached one world final 1971 (8th) reserve in 72 it just shows at that time how tough those old Nordic finals European finals (at Hampden Park? a few times)were to qualify out of.

Monk did have an incredible career, never mentioned really but he was a force up until the late 60s.I actually got his autograph when riding for Halifax, at the time was so chuffed as apparently he was a quiet man a bit moody never smiled so it was a feat to get it.Back to Airey he only reached one world final 1971 (8th) reserve in 72 it just shows at that time how tough those old Nordic finals European finals (at Hampden Park? a few times)were to qualify out of.

I was at a Nordic/British final at Hampden , pretty sure it was 71 . Think Barry Briggs won the meeting , Ivan Mauger riding with a plaster cast on his leg is the thing that sticks in my mind from that night , i was only 12 :)

Just did a bit of research and Briggs actually got eliminated from the Nordic British final that night in Glasgow . Mauger it was who actually won the meeting with Ray Wilson second .

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 1

I was at a Nordic/British final at Hampden , pretty sure it was 71 . Think Barry Briggs won the meeting , Ivan Mauger riding with a plaster cast on his leg is the thing that sticks in my mind from that night , i was only 12 :)

Just did a bit of research and Briggs actually got eliminated from the Nordic British final that night in Glasgow . Mauger it was who actually won the meeting with Ray Wilson second .

1971 really sticks out for me as i can remember my uncle being gutted by Briggo being eliminated.This after he had qualified 17 years on the trot for the final what a record a LEGEND the greatest for me.1972 i am convinced he would of won the final he had licked Ivan early on maybe Ole would of beaten him?.But 14 would of been more than anough one of my big disappointments in speedway that he did not equal Ove's record.

1971 really sticks out for me as i can remember my uncle being gutted by Briggo being eliminated.This after he had qualified 17 years on the trot for the final what a record a LEGEND the greatest for me.1972 i am convinced he would of won the final he had licked Ivan early on maybe Ole would of beaten him?.But 14 would of been more than anough one of my big disappointments in speedway that he did not equal Ove's record.

Mine is the fact that Charlie Monk never made a World Final as a Glasgow rider . Charlie was an incredible rider for the Tigers , known as Charlie " maximum " Monk by the press up here ( in the days when the press took an interest in speedway ) . He was an outstanding number 1 . Steve Lawson is regarded as Glasgow's greatest ever rider , but Charlie really deserved that accolade as he did it at the top level for Glasgow . Jim McMillan ( as a reserve ) is our only representative at a World Final .

Mine is the fact that Charlie Monk never made a World Final as a Glasgow rider . Charlie was an incredible rider for the Tigers , known as Charlie " maximum " Monk by the press up here ( in the days when the press took an interest in speedway ) . He was an outstanding number 1 . Steve Lawson is regarded as Glasgow's greatest ever rider , but Charlie really deserved that accolade as he did it at the top level for Glasgow . Jim McMillan ( as a reserve ) is our only representative at a World Final .

What was Charlie like as a bloke? a terrific rider as for Jimmy Mac i have so much respect for that bloke a top pro he was one of a few blokes who could beat Briggo in his heyday.Beaton was another rider i enjoyed watching a very exciting rider Lawson another legend MR Glasgow.

What was Charlie like as a bloke? a terrific rider as for Jimmy Mac i have so much respect for that bloke a top pro he was one of a few blokes who could beat Briggo in his heyday.Beaton was another rider i enjoyed watching a very exciting rider Lawson another legend MR Glasgow.

Charlie was as dour as his image portrayed . Once asked why he never smiled or spoke much , he replied " i'm not here to make friends , just score points " . Think he was just an incredibly shy bloke who shunned any kind of spotlight on him . Maybe if he had been a bit more extroverted that might have given him that extra inch to achieve the success at the really top level what his undoubted ability should have brought him .

Anyway back to Mr Airey . That year the Nordic / British final was at Hampden was the year he made it all the way to the World Final . In those days if you reached on of those , you truly were a World Class rider .

Charlie was as dour as his image portrayed . Once asked why he never smiled or spoke much , he replied " i'm not here to make friends , just score points " . Think he was just an incredibly shy bloke who shunned any kind of spotlight on him . Maybe if he had been a bit more extroverted that might have given him that extra inch to achieve the success at the really top level what his undoubted ability should have brought him .

Anyway back to Mr Airey . That year the Nordic / British final was at Hampden was the year he made it all the way to the World Final . In those days if you reached on of those , you truly were a World Class rider .

That era it is not living in yesteryear, really was a incredible time for the sport ultra competetive.( ie riders like E Boocock, Ashby,Betts, (ect) they're world final records uninspiring but they were all great riders in they're own right a special time for the sport.

Was going through all my records, i personally only see Jim ride once how good was he.?Would be nice to know from people who see more of Jim his premature retirement robbed us i believe.His record on the big tracks is superb and by all accounts he took some beating at the Sydney show ground. Any thoughts.!

As far as i am concerned the best Sheffield rider i have ever seen

Consistant scorer home and away, always looking for his team mate, great rider real shame when he decided not to come back

Consistant scorer home and away, always looking for his team mate, great rider real shame when he decided not to come back

Anyone know why he packed it in so early?

I've often wondered...................................................

Anyone know why he packed it in so early?

I've often wondered...................................................

i think for business reasons WK ? he did i believe ride in a Daily Mirror series in 1973? for the Aussies style wise not a typical Aussie but a world class rider.He averaged 10.86 and 10.74 in 1970 and 71. ( 27 full maximums in two years pretty impressive.

How good was he at Owlerton Third Man? his away average was pretty impressive as well. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Answer to the original question is that he was of World Final quality. At that time that was about as big an accolade as possible. Might very well have made more World Finals if he had not retired so early - maybe even a rostrum place. Aussie number one when they had a pretty decent team including (I think) skipper of the team that knocked out England and then won the WTC.

For quality comparison think Terry Betts, Ray Wilson, John Boulger, Martin Ashby, Chris Morton, Berndt Persson, Dave Jessup, Gordon Kennett, Edward Jancarz etc etc. that sort of level.

That's a personal view but others may very well have different views.

Hope this helps