British Speedway Forum
semion

Kings Lynn Stars V Poole Pirates Thursday 22nd May

I like the draft and it is a good idea but some teams are suffering because of it.

But the teams suffering are in general the ones who didn't get of their backsides and help young Brits. You reap what you sow.

Matt Ford has now realised and hooked up with a P L club. What have Swindon done?

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

It's all just down to the green eyed monster, Lynn took a chance on Lambert, Porsing and Kerr and all 3 are doing the business, Poole haven't done so well on their picks especially at reserve and they don't like it.

But as has been said many times you can be unbeaten all year but the bottom line is it will all come down to 2 matches, if it all goes ** up then you may well lose, as Poole did a few years ago to Coventry, I dare say most people remember the mayhem and subsequent fall out that caused.

• Like 2

I am very much in favour of the Draft system but it is unfair to criticise clubs like Swindon for not being so involved with the youngsters.

It is much easier if you have unlimited access to your stadium and/or, can afford to run a NL team or, invest in a club which does and benefit from that link.

Unfortunately, not all clubs are so fortunate. My club ran a NL team but could not afford to continue to do so. Since then they have run a team in the Midland Development League, so are doing what they can to help the youngsters.

Those who support teams who have either the facilities or, the finances, to be involved at NL level should be pleased at their good fortune but realise that Promoters at other EL clubs would do exactly the same given the resources to enable them to do so.

• Like 3

I am very much in favour of the Draft system but it is unfair to criticise clubs like Swindon for not being so involved with the youngsters.

It is much easier if you have unlimited access to your stadium and/or, can afford to run a NL team or, invest in a club which does and benefit from that link.

Unfortunately, not all clubs are so fortunate. My club ran a NL team but could not afford to continue to do so. Since then they have run a team in the Midland Development League, so are doing what they can to help the youngsters.

Those who support teams who have either the facilities or, the finances, to be involved at NL level should be pleased at their good fortune but realise that Promoters at other EL clubs would do exactly the same given the resources to enable them to do so.

So that should work both ways then, those that don't run NL side's can't complain about clubs wishing to use their own rider's as draft picks. Ok, some can't run their own NL team, that's fair enough. But they're still sitting on their hands whereas Poole moved quickly to set up an association with Scunthorpe. Why have no others copied? Probably because they can't be bothered.

Belle Vue - Buxton

Birmingham - Stoke

Coventry - Coventry

Eastbourne -Plymouth

King's Lynn - King's Lynn

Leicester - Leicester

Lakeside - Kent

Poole - Scunthorpe

Swindon - Mildenhall

Wolves - Cradley

There's plenty of room for all EL clubs to join the party. If you can't be assed then you have no right to moan. Got to be in it to win it

• Like 2

So that should work both ways then, those that don't run NL side's can't complain about clubs wishing to use their own rider's as draft picks. Ok, some can't run their own NL team, that's fair enough. But they're still sitting on their hands whereas Poole moved quickly to set up an association with Scunthorpe. Why have no others copied? Probably because they can't be bothered.

Belle Vue - Buxton

Birmingham - Stoke

Coventry - Coventry

Eastbourne -Plymouth

King's Lynn - King's Lynn

Leicester - Leicester

Lakeside - Kent

Poole - Scunthorpe

Swindon - Mildenhall

Wolves - Cradley

There's plenty of room for all EL clubs to join the party. If you can't be assed then you have no right to moan. Got to be in it to win it

Why quote my post if you ignore what I said.

My point is that most of those clubs who cannot afford to run a NL side do not have the finance to invest in an existing NL club. For most it is not that they are sitting on their hands, they do not have the facilities or cash to do what you suggest.

As it happens, I have never argued that those who have assets shouldn't be able to use them in the Draft. I think they should.

When Belle Vue have their new stadium I hope I shall appreciate how fortunate we shall be to be able to use it to train British youngsters but not lose sight of the fact that most clubs will not have the same opportunities.

But the teams suffering are in general the ones who didn't get of their backsides and help young Brits. You reap what you sow.

Matt Ford has now realised and hooked up with a P L club. What have Swindon done?

Like Poole over the years ? And of Course don't forget that Cov legend Jason Garity .You can't reap what so if don't know what the rules are going to be .

• Like 1

It's all just down to the green eyed monster, Lynn took a chance on Lambert, Porsing and Kerr and all 3 are doing the business, Poole haven't done so well on their picks especially at reserve and they don't like it.

But as has been said many times you can be unbeaten all year but the bottom line is it will all come down to 2 matches, if it all goes ** up then you may well lose, as Poole did a few years ago to Coventry, I dare say most people remember the mayhem and subsequent fall out that caused.

Those three at Lynn for me were not a huge risk, Porsing showed ability last year Kerr who has made huge strides and is beating riders i exspect him to beat Lambert well he could be anything no huge risk for me.

I would still back the Pirates to beat Lynn over 2 legs; Poole got written off last year for being too top heavy but they won the league quite comfortably last season. When Poole are the under-dogs which they are against Lynn according to most people and the bookmakers; that's when they are at their most dangerous.

Jonasson in for either Milk or Grajocznek is a change that I'm expecting to happen and one that would strengthen the Pirates considerably as THJ is a heat-leader around Wimborne road and a proven play-off performer.

Edited by Liam Gallagher Fan

I would still back the Pirates to beat Lynn over 2 legs; Poole got written off last year for being too top heavy but they won the league quite comfortably last season. When Poole are the under-dogs which they are against Lynn according to most people and the bookmakers; that's when they are at their most dangerous.

Absolutely & that is why a lot of us Stars fans are not getting carried away with it,, well, some of us anyway.

Most of the people saying we'll walk it have been the supporters of other clubs. We know our history & I'm expecting this run to continue, hence why I'll be celebrating every meeting win as & when they come, sit back and enjoy the racing.

• Like 1

Jonasson in for either Milk or Grajocznek is a change that I'm expecting to happen and one that would strengthen the Pirates considerably as THJ is a heat-leader around Wimborne road and a proven play-off performer.

Are you in dreamland? Jonasson in why? he is a underachiever he is expensive as well.In for JG not a chance, Milik is a guy with alot of ability it also would be madness to let him go. Edited by sidney

Why quote my post if you ignore what I said.

I quoted what you said because it mentioned Swindon fans complaining and they have been the biggest moaners of the system so I just followed on from that to be honest. I was just stating that it's easy to get involved in NL racing with your own team or joining forces with others. It doesn't have to be expensive, it could be '£500 a week and we get 1st pick on rider's for sale' as an example

Absolutely & that is why a lot of us Stars fans are not getting carried away with it,, well, some of us anyway.

Most of the people saying we'll walk it have been the supporters of other clubs. We know our history & I'm expecting this run to continue, hence why I'll be celebrating every meeting win as & when they come, sit back ON THE FENCE and enjoy the racing.

Screamer, I altered your post, hope you don't mind.. ....

You go on about our history and I for one am proud of what the Stars have achieved. Ok we haven't won the big title, the League championship, but that's not the big issue. What we have achieved we have done so by doing it right. We are one of the few clubs that have their own Stadium. We are one of the few clubs who have our own feeder section of talent in the National league, We are a club who competes within the rules. A club every riders want to ride for and every fan wants to come and watch. Other teams come here knowing they will be able to race and win. That counts for a lot.

This year we have assembled a wonderful team, one, able to win most matches. Whether we win the league or not is irrelevant. We should be enjoying the time that we are ruling the roost. Last year, Birmingham deservingly won the league, throughout the whole season, they performed the best to achieve that mantel. Just because we now have playoff's to satisfy the tele doesn't take away what Birmingham achieved. Not wanting to get involved with the exploits of certain club, but you'll always get a team that comes along and spoil the party, but that's what the rules allow.

So whether we win the play-offs or not I shall thoroughly enjoy this time when we are out performing other teams, and will keep harping on about 'How good we are' .

One day that mantel of league champions will eventually arrive...... Will it be this year ? ..... it could be.....who knows...... To be honest its not that important. What is important, is that the Stars continue to do it right, and while we do that , than I for one, will not be sitting on that bloody fence............

• Like 2

I think its called 'cautious optimism' GRW. People don't want to be singing from the rooftops now only to look like spanners if the Play Offs don't go to plan.....we've seen on several occasions that the best side over the whole season doesn't always end up champions.

One thing I think we can agree on is that the season so far has been very enjoyable, particularly watching our younger riders blossom.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 4

Rob said in Thursdays 'sheet' that we should not get carried away but just enjoy the winning moments (or summat similar), I think that is what we are all doing eh :-)

......................we are ruling the roost. Last year, Birmingham deservingly won the league....................

Thing is KL don't "rule the roost"...................... NOTHING is won until its won (eg playoffs)

and last year Birmingham won NOW'T ........... sad to say (esp for Brummies) that the record books show Poole as league winners!