British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Swindon V Belle Vue 26/5/14

One question. Would Rosco have been so vocal about calling it off if the scores were the other way round? I don't think so somehow.

• Like 2

Exactly ,,,, i'm a Bellle Vue fan , and its nothing to do with the points

Rossiter & Batchelor cheated the paying public ( their own fans i may add ) out of at least another 3 heats of speedway ,

because they were to concerned about losing 1 maybe 2 points to the Aces , when they should have been looking at the bigger picture

ie , entertaining the paying public

Rossiter and Batchelor didnt cheat the public! they made their opinions known to the referee who consulted both parties and made a decission! The problem once again is with the rule makers, as to be able to get a result when there are points to be played for is wrong! Robins v coventry is a good example in point! so stop blaming the riders who earn far more in other countrys and have a very short career! To be fair there were some good races and it was the younger riders who were going for it, which is normal in life! With the right mentor and equipment young Nathan could become the find of the season! (shame Lee Adams was not at Swindon to help) I would just like to say thank you to everyone for getting the meeting to a conclusion considering the rain!

• Like 1

One question. Would Rosco have been so vocal about calling it off if the scores were the other way round? I don't think so somehow.

Fair point but Rossiter did say that when interviewed, that if he had been on the other side of things he might be a bit more keener to keep things going.

Not watched it on sky yet, from being at the track if the meeting was going to be called off it should have been called off at heat 10, it had been drizzling all meeting from heat 1 so visibility wasn't the issue. The track had got bit wetter but was still raceable as MPT showed, the only faller had been Cook & Johnson earlier in the meeting, riders were forced to ride in much worst conditions by 'sky' in the Belle Vue v Poole meeting last year. Once they made the decision to carry on at heat 10 it should have gone to heat 15 as it wasn't any worst 2 heats later.

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 4

All of the venomous hatred being spouted on here, yes, there was some decent races last night but look at the times, 4 to 5 seconds slower than normal.

Didn't Scott Nicholls say with one of his many interviews that the track was dangerous, unless you were in front.....?

I reckon Nathan should put an offer in for Simon's bike, cracking ride in heat 2, we would have never have seen that one if the heat was awarded, like it should have been. Pleased for Simon, let's hope he kicks on form this.

MPT ballsy ride with Nick was good to see.

Mixed opinion for me on the abandonment, thought it should have stopped after heat 10 myself, but what if heat 13 had seen a plie up on the first corner people on here would have been jumping up and down stating the obvious. Yes meetings have been run in worse conditions but does the decision last night make things right..?

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

• Like 6

From what I can see, most of the sour grapes is coming from the armchair keyboard moaners, who were certainly not part of the "Paying public"

Debacles like last nights are part of the reason so many of the paying public no longer pay to go to meetings if the weather is iffy. There is much debate on here about falling attendances, I'd suggest events like last night are part of the problem.

The curtailing of last nights meeting was a joke. It echoed insults to the paying public and the tele audiences. The decision was made for all the wrong reasons. Those who partook in that decision must question their reasons. As it happened heat 12 was probably the best race of the night. Three of the four riders were racing to the line with no issues with the track at all, while the one involved in that decision making was at the back. ( Strange that)

Spot on, especially the bit in bold.

Not watched it on sky yet, from being at the track if the meeting was going to be called off it should have been called off at heat 10, it had been drizzling all meeting from heat 1 so visibility wasn't the issue. The track had got bit wetter but was still raceable as MPT showed, the only faller had been Cook & Johnson earlier in the meeting, riders were forced to ride in much worst conditions by 'sky' in the Belle Vue v Poole meeting last year. Once they made the decision to carry on at heat 10 it should have gone to heat 15 as it wasn't any worst 2 heats later.

Bit in bold again spot on. The only difference from the end of heat 10 to the end of heat 12, was the cracking race where if memory serves me none of the riders actually racing (as opposed to pootling) actually had any problem controlling the bike.

Maybe if we have to have meeting stewards at Sky meetings, they should be ex riders, who actually have knowledge of what it's like to control a bike in wet conditions. They should then advise the referee, who IMHO should be in sole charge of the meeting.

Edited by Star Lady

When one team has secured max points and is trying to get it postponed, and the other obviously wants to carry on, then why not give the ref a simple rule that he can go by. If the track has been "raceable" all evening, then one team says It's only "rideable", then surely the times will tell the ref the truth. At Foxhall last Thursday Ht 12 was 6 seconds slower than Ht 1, that tells me the track was only rideable by then, and it was rightly called off, I cant find the times for last night, but Ht 11 looked an excellent "race" to me.

• Like 1

I made the effort to go to Swindon last night, from Wales and frankfully that's it for me I've supported speedway since 1965 but the track was race able let alone rideable in IMO ok I'm not a rider but I've seen a lot of racing & a ot of rain affected meetings. The sport is a joke in my eyes now sad but true.

Won't attend another meeting until the sport sorts it self out

• Like 7

Confucius once said: ' You can always find an excuse when you are looking for one'

The abandonment of last night meeting was ridiculous. And we wonder why people don't go any more.............

• Like 5

From a neutrals perspective, I felt short changed. I believe the rule in the book is that after Heat 10 in an official Team fixture, only the Team that is losing may request a track

inspection, or seek abandonment of the Meeting. If this is the case why was it called off if Belle Vie wanted it to carry on? Apologies if this has been covered. I am just a little confused!

Edited by Stan Duppcomic

During heat 12 Tatum's comments were that the track was no worse than it has been earlier. Evenif we forget what people were saying the evidence was there for all to see, the track was raceable and the match should not have been postponed.

Swindon supporters have been critical of Eastbourne for racing under strength teams. At least supporters knew what they were getting and could decide whether to attend. In this instance, whether it was their decision to make or not, Swindon did all they could to influence the decision that was made and deny those at the track and the viewing audience, the most important 20% of the meeting. I hope the 3 points prove to be worth it.

It damages Swindon and the sport.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

Have to say the decision to stop racing last night was a terrible decision.Again the paying public are taken for a ride, do the promoters just presume they will keep turning up.?The points should not come into at all,was it raceable it looked it to me and last night we did see some entertaining racing at times.The sport at times really shows how good it can be, why can't we all work together for the good of the sport.Also we know it is sport and competition but we should never forget it is supposed to be a ENTERTAINMENT the paying public should come first at all times.Incidents like last night really does damage the sport,it always seems to me that peoples own interests come before what is right for the supporter.

• Like 3

The track was producing some good racing, and with Zagar out in two of the last three races, Belle Vue had every chance to get a point. As Rob points out, the track for Belle Vue v Poole last year was far worse, yet it carried on as the result was considered important. Where is the consistency in decision making?

• Like 1

He has already has been when Swindon were beating Brum the other week .I Thought the match should have got on last night but winning or losing this year each time Rosco has acted in the same manner .

Edited by orion