British Speedway Forum

Could the GP competition be run outside the regular season? Or perhaps a big chunk of it? For example, the first 4/5 GP's be run in February, March and first 2 weeks of April, then start the leagues, have a mid season break from top flight league racing for another GP or 2, then run the final 4/5 GP's in October and November? Also, reduce the SWC to every 2 or 3 years like other sports World Cups.......

Why would they do this? The top leagues have no problems because of this so why they should care about one of the minor leagues is beyond me :)

British speedway should learn to adapt but sadly is still 30 years behind the top leagues.

It's like climate change far too late and simply staving off the inevitable.

We will end up with one league at around PL level. Which will probably be the best thing to happen and shake the sport up a bit and start rebuilding the sport from the bottom up.

• Like 1

Sadly BSPA is too blinkered and self cenred to devise any solution other than further dilute the product and increase admission costs yet again.

Having just got back from Poland after watching a league match, I can say British Speedway is a lost cause. It's gone too far down hill, the whole demographic profile of the fan base is too old, too many anorak tendencies and just plain wrong. That's before we even get onto facilities.

If Polish Speedway is like Gateaux

British Speedway is like two day old cold custard in comparison.

I hear what you are saying Deano - but - as one of those folk who are 'too old' - might I remind you that it is probably because of us, that there is any Speedway to watch in this Country at all.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying Deano - but - as one of those folk who are 'too old' - might I remind you that it is probably because of us, that there is any Speedway to watch in this Country at all.

Just a thought.

Or conversely it could be because of us that new younger fans don't attend. When an event looks like a badly dressed darby and joan convention it doesn't give it the must attend type of feel about it for any potential younger fans out there

• Like 1

Or conversely it could be because of us that new younger fans don't attend. When an event looks like a badly dressed darby and joan convention it doesn't give it the must attend type of feel about it for any potential younger fans out there

They aren't coming to watch the Crowd though, are they?

They are coming to watch the Racing and enjoy the Meeting. If the Racing can't hold their interest - then the demographic won't matter will it?.

• Like 1

One thing that is absolutely certain and that is that modern Speedway no matter what the rule changes, how deep the tracks or how team minded the riders can ever hope to equal the sport of some peoples rose tinted memories!

Just perhaps if people looked for the positives in what is a bloody good sport newcomers would read something good on the net and take a chance on spending a few quid to see for themselves.

• Like 1

They aren't coming to watch the Crowd though, are they?

They are coming to watch the Racing and enjoy the Meeting. If the Racing can't hold their interest - then the demographic won't matter will it?.

Have you been to Poland and "witnessed" a league match in the flesh?

I was pretty critical of Poland and it's dominating ways in which it "owns" riders and dictates where and when they ride.

Tell me where in British speedway can you go to a place youngsters go and drink a pint of beer in a glass with the local teams riders etched in?

Tell me where in Britain you can go to a shop with a coffee bar selling advance tickets and showing none stop speedway with people sat down on sofa's enjoying the view.

Tell me where in British speedway you can buy clothes that look good on twenty somethings and not designed specifically for the "grey scene". At that from a shop in a modern environment, not from a guy with a decorators table of badges laid out.

Tell me where in british speedway do 5,000+ fans before a league match congregate in the town square and march singing and chanting a designated route to the stadium lined with riot vans and riot police!!! Being filmed by local media, newpapers and fans like a carnival.

Tell me where in British Speedway league matches take part in a Cardiff style stadium with Cardiff style views.

Tell me where in Britain you walk through a town with a speedway logo on and people stop you and chant the club song.

Why is it in Poland you have 14 riders that cover the circuit within a few milli seconds of each other, creating one race, not two!

British speedway is the equivalent to attending a sunday morning church service, drab and boring, compared to what I joined in with the weekend. Constant song singing, constant chanting trying to out do the 800 travelling fans, yes 800 travelling fans.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 4

I was pretty critical of Poland and it's dominating ways in which it "owns" riders and dictates where and when they ride.

Tell me where in British speedway can you go to a place youngsters go and drink a pint of beer in a glass with the local teams riders etched in?

Tell me where in Britain you can go to a shop with a coffee bar selling advance tickets and showing none stop speedway with people sat down on sofa's enjoying the view.

Tell me where in British speedway you can buy clothes that look good on twenty somethings and not designed specifically for the "grey scene"

Tell me where in british speedway do 5,000+ fans before a league match congregate in the town square and march singing and chanting a designated route to the stadium lined with riot vans and riot police!!!

Tell me where in British Speedway league matches take part in a Cardiff style stadium with Cardiff style views.

Tell me where in Britain you walk through a town with a speedway logo on and people stop you and chant the club song.

Why is it in Poland you have 14 riders that cover the circuit within a few milli seconds of each other, creating one race, not two!

British speedway is the equivalent to attending a sunday morning church service, drab and boring, compared to what I joined in with the weekend. Constant song singing, constant chanting trying to out do the 800 travelling fans, yes 800 travelling fans.

All very true, but that 5000+ used to be more like 20,000+

All very true, but that 5000+ used to be more like 20,000+

Possibly, but more and more Brits are heading overseas for their speedway.

I've now had a piece of the Polish cake, do I want to go back to cold custard. ;)

Tell me where in British speedway you can buy clothes that look good on twenty somethings and not designed specifically for the "grey scene". At that from a shop in a modern environment, not from a guy with a decorators table of badges laid out.

Tell me where in british speedway do 5,000+ fans before a league match congregate in the town square and march singing and chanting a designated route to the stadium lined with riot vans and riot police!!! Being filmed by local media, newpapers and fans like a carnival.

In 1950s\60s GB!!

No comparing Poland to GB, we'll see how things are in 20 years time there!!

I guess if our promoters had huge council owned tracks and rich sponsors they could encourage the youngsters to come to our clubs for next to nothing and chant, sing and drink. One thing they couldn't do is make our young people care about and have pride in their local club like they seem to do in Poland!!

Edited by Trees

What I can't understand Deano,is why it has taken you so long to make that maiden trip to Polska! :lol: I'll be surprised if you ever attend another meeting in the UK after your experiences of last weekend!

• Like 1

Depends if he has that pride in his local team or not!! :-)

I might go have a look at a Polish league match but I sure as hell won't care who wins!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

In 1950s\60s GB!!

No comparing Poland to GB, we'll see how things are in 20 years time there!!

Have you been?

It's no wonder the several hundred thousand Poles that live around our speedway tracks rarely, possibly never, venture in.

What I can't understand Deano,is why it has taken you so long to make that maiden trip to Polska! :lol: I'll be surprised if you ever attend another meeting in the UK after your experiences of last weekend!

I will do yes, but to be honest after using Ryan Air and polish transport, to watch speedway at polish prices. is it much more expensive to attend a Polish match than it is to attend an away meeting here?

Edited by Deano

Have you been?

It's no wonder the several hundred thousand Poles that live around our speedway tracks rarely, possibly never, venture in.

I will do yes, but to be honest after using Ryan Air and polish transport, to watch speedway at polish prices. is it much more expensive to attend a Polish match than it is to attend an away meeting here?

On average you'd pay £6-7 admission for Ekstraliga.About £5 for Liga 1 and 2.

Edited by bluejam

I suspect the answer to all of those questions is nowhere. But the comparison is, I would say, an unfair one. Its a bit like making a comparison between American baseball and its British equivalent, or Canadian Ice Hockey and that in this country.........or football in this country and football in Poland.

Its simply the biggest sport out there and with that comes all the trappings you have mentioned. In Britain speedway is a minority sport and even back in the 1970's when it was far more popular than it is now it was still a minority sport, at least in terms of the press coverage.

From what I have seen of Polish speedway on the internet on Sunday afternoons, the quality of the racing is in general no better than that over here. The attraction therefore is not the racing, but everything that goes with it.

Trees has, for me, made two excellent points. For a start, success is cyclical. In the 1970's, the top Polish riders - Plech, Jancarz, Cieslak, Proch, Huszcza - all rode in this country. Poland, then, was a back water just as Britain is now. There's nothing to say that things won't change back again.

But most importantly, she has pointed out why most people go to speedway (possibly after the fact that they like the sport anyway) : to support their team.

How many of us can get truly passionate about a team that is in another country when we can watch our own local one every week and just down the road ?

Speaking as someone who doesn't follow a team but did a while ago (and may indeed do so again) being a neutral just isn't the same whatever the other circumstances might be.

One thing that is absolutely certain and that is that modern Speedway no matter what the rule changes, how deep the tracks or how team minded the riders can ever hope to equal the sport of some peoples rose tinted memories!

Just perhaps if people looked for the positives in what is a bloody good sport newcomers would read something good on the net and take a chance on spending a few quid to see for themselves.

Great post, Vince.

My Dad went in the 1950's to watch a teenage Ronnie Moore ride. When he heard I was going his comment was 'first out of the gate always wins'.

I must admit I think this 'two races in one' argument is rubbish, too. Looking at my 1979 year book, we had 8 riders averaging over 10 points a much and 13 over 9.5. Currently, we have 1 over 9.5.There were no less than 51 averaging less than 4.5 (albeit that many only rode in about half the matches).

What do think happened when heat leaders of that strength and second strings or reserves on those averages were in the same race ? Go back a bit further and you had the likes of Briggs, Mauger, Olsen & Boocock averaging over 11 for a season - the only people who beat them were each other.

If anything, I'd say the gap between the top riders and the bottom ones has narrowed.

• Like 3