British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Buy a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

If you don't buy him the fish today, he'll be dead tomorrow.

Get it to the end of the season and solve any problems you can on the way.

If you don't buy him the fish today, he'll be dead tomorrow.

Get it to the end of the season and solve any problems you can on the way.

Depends on how quick he learns to fish!!!!

• Like 1

BV or Wolves would be a better comparison than buxton as those clubs pay rent and overheads in rented stadia and race at EL level

How is this a better comparison when all you are doing is agreeing with my point, which is at the moment Birmingham cannot continue speedway when there overheads outweigh the income. Where as if they had a 500 people turning up to watch speedway at facility like Buxton, then the Birmingham support could finance speedway.

Maybe Birmingham’s problem has been showing some ambition, since 2007 there's has hardly been a year when they haven’t been in the play off’s or made a cup final.

Belle Vue might have it right by never offering any sign of ambition. That way their fans get use to it and turn up regardless and all credit to their fans for doing so. But honestly how can you take a sport seriously when a team is allowed to finish bottom of the table 3 times in 6 seasons but is still allowed to stay in the Elite league of that sport.

As for Perry Barr, Ommer um was pretty close with what he had to say, Birmingham fans might not like that it, but that’s the way it is.

Edited by Pirio Barre

Firstly, I sincerely hope that the proverbial miracle happens and some way can be found for Birmingham to continue and complete their season, because where there's life, there's hope. Beyond that, a long term long term plan needs to be found to keep them operating in either of the top flight leagues in the UK, and I believe that is possible with the right person/people at the helm..

It's interesting to read previous posts on this thread where I note most of the blame for Brummies' demise is aimed at Alan Phillips, which is only natural as there is no doubt he has made some serious errors of judgement.

However, I find it surprising that nobody has mentioned the financial damage clearly done to Birmingham Speedway by the actions of Alun Rossiter in the recent televised meeting between the Brummies and Swindon. In my view, Rossiter was hell bent on getting the meeting abandoned many heats before the torrential rain left the referee no option but to abandon the meeting. He knew his team were struggling and used dubious tactics to drag out proceedings and ultimately get his wish, but I feel the financial implications of his actions are the straw which broke the camel named Birmingham's back.

I hope he can sleep at night !!

And before the p.c. brigade bang out the 'safety of riders is paramount' line, the track was far from dangerous when Rossiter initially started his whining !!!

• Like 3

I'm not sure if I am too late with this Post - but - I do hope something can be done to keep the 'Brummies' going.

I just wish you had stayed in the Premier League......................................................... :sad: :sad:

• Like 4

How is this a better comparison when all you are doing is agreeing with my point, which is at the moment Birmingham cannot continue speedway when there overheads outweigh the income. Where as if they had a 500 people turning up to watch speedway at facility like Buxton, then the Birmingham support could finance speedway.

Maybe Birminghams problem has been showing some ambition, since 2007 there's has hardly been a year when they havent been in the play offs or made a cup final.

Belle Vue might have it right by never offering any sign of ambition. That way their fans get use to it and turn up regardless and all credit to their fans for doing so. But honestly how can you take a sport seriously when a team is allowed to finish bottom of the table 3 times in 6 seasons but is still allowed to stay in the Elite league of that sport.

As for Perry Barr, Ommer um was pretty close with what he had to say, Birmingham fans might not like that it, but thats the way it is.

I think you're a bit wide of the mark there when assessing the Aces. Our ambitions and cash flow have been directed towards a new stadium to ensure a long term future for the club as it isn't viable in the greyhound track. If your guys had the same lofty ambitions then perhaps your future would be a bit brighter.

Note to Brummies fans, that response is aimed at this joker not the rest of you guys. I was genuinely moved watching you fans hug your team with a tear in your eye. I really hope it hadn't come to this.

• Like 3

I have spent many years as a fan watching the Brummies along with Cradley,Wolves & Coventry as a neutral, it is a very sad day I just hope something can save the club but it has to be doubtful.

Best wishes to the Riders wherever they go and to fellow supporters keep it Red n Yellow

• Like 1

Firstly, I sincerely hope that the proverbial miracle happens and some way can be found for Birmingham to continue and complete their season, because where there's life, there's hope. Beyond that, a long term long term plan needs to be found to keep them operating in either of the top flight leagues in the UK, and I believe that is possible with the right person/people at the helm..

It's interesting to read previous posts on this thread where I note most of the blame for Brummies' demise is aimed at Alan Phillips, which is only natural as there is no doubt he has made some serious errors of judgement.

However, I find it surprising that nobody has mentioned the financial damage clearly done to Birmingham Speedway by the actions of Alun Rossiter in the recent televised meeting between the Brummies and Swindon. In my view, Rossiter was hell bent on getting the meeting abandoned many heats before the torrential rain left the referee no option but to abandon the meeting. He knew his team were struggling and used dubious tactics to drag out proceedings and ultimately get his wish, but I feel the financial implications of his actions are the straw which broke the camel named Birmingham's back.

And before the p.c. brigade bang out the 'safety of riders is paramount' line, the track was far from dangerous when Rossiter initially started his whining !!!

Firstly I'm not going to hang the struggling Brummies promotion cause afterall they put their money where their mouths are and most people aren't in a position to do the same thing!

I'd urge them to just try and limp through to the end of the season then get out. That way they will be able to leave with their heads held high and would give the club a chance to survive into future seasons.

Secondly on the SKY match against Swindon rained off after 9 heats a few weeks back -

I had exactly the same thoughts about Swindons and mainly Alun Rossiters attitude that night. I thought, its been well documented that Birmingham speedway has been struggling and Rossiters actions that night cost the Brummies a lot of money.

The track that night was wet but it didn't get dangerous. Tellingly the last race staged that night heat 9 was the 2nd fast track reserve race featuring supposedly the 4 least experienced, poorest riders on show yet they never had any problems getting around and the race as I recall was quite exciting and close. Now if heat 10 would of went straight out with 4 better more experienced riders then the race could of comfortably been run which would of given the meeting a end result which would of saved the Brummies much money!

I said while watching this meeting that Alun Rossiter should see the bigger picture and try to get to heat 10. A few weeks before that a meeting at his home track Swindon was called of due to rain again but because his team weren't in a good position he wanted the meeting to carry on!

I really, really hope the Brummies can keep going!

• Like 1

I am so gutted with the whole situation, 20 yrs trying to get the sport back to Birmingham. We do that, and get full planning permission which looked unlikely at one stage, now look at us. I feel for the likes of Tony Mole and Brian Buck who worked their socks off in fulfilling their dream of seeing the Brummies return.

Obviously its not 100% certain and pray something at the very last minute can be sorted but if not I would like to thank all the riders that have ridden for the Brummies since 2007, Premier League and Elite League. Its been a joy to watch them in a Brummies race bib/suit. I would also like to thank the the Drurys, Joe Mac for his hard work in securing some great sponsors in past seasons. Also to Phil Morris, did great for us as a rider and then as the team manager last year, instrumental in our on-track success and to the presentation team, enjoyed very much Chris Simpson as centre-green presenter and Dave Rowe in the box.

Really everyone that has worked behind the scenes at the club, thank you so much

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Like 8

The track that night was wet but it didn't get dangerous. Tellingly the last race staged that night heat 9 was the 2nd fast track reserve race featuring supposedly the 4 least experienced, poorest riders on show yet they never had any problems getting around and the race as I recall was quite exciting and close. Now if heat 10 would of went straight out with 4 better more experienced riders then the race could of comfortably been run which would of given the meeting a end result which would of saved the Brummies much money!

How do you work that out? Weird logic. If anything Rosco saved them 6 heats of payments.

And before the p.c. brigade bang out the 'safety of riders is paramount' line, the track was far from dangerous when Rossiter initially started his whining !!

Why do you find it Surprising that nobody have Mentioned it ..I expect it's because it's no one thinks the same ...

• Like 1

Why do you find it Surprising that nobody have Mentioned it ..I expect it's because it's no one thinks the same ...

That's a very true comemnt....never more so than on the BSF!

!:::::::::::

The Brummie riders farewll to their fans? This has just been posted by member Chris Simpson on the Facebook THE WEIRDWORLD OF SPEEDWAY group:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204040844640571&set=vb.1207633198&type=2&theater

Edited by Guest

On the radio this morning.... Eastbourne looking for new owners and dropping to the Prem Lge next year

One big league next year??????????

will 2015 be 1965 all over again........... will this kickstart a revival in the sports fortunes????

On the radio this morning.... Eastbourne looking for new owners and dropping to the Prem Lge next year

One big league next year??????????

will 2015 be 1965 all over again........... will this kickstart a revival in the sports fortunes????

Or out with the dead wood that is Birmingham and Eastbourne allowing the rest of the EL to be, well, elite.