British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

.... I have spent all day getting lots of people ready to make donations including 4 people willing to donate 200 pound each I think we could hit 25000 in a few weeks I've managed to line up 3000-4000 just today.... All I need is a page to be set up...

Fighting fund update. We have now collected in excess of £5600. :-)

Just been listening to BBC WM and Alan Phillips stated he and Charles are prepared to clear all the Birmingham Brummies debts to riders and suppliers amounting to £45k. He would then leave the club in the hands of Charlie to continue running and enable them to finish the 2014 season. He also stated he had already offered this to the BSPA but been flatly refused because they wanted the family out of the sport. The plot thickens......

Just been listening to BBC WM and Alan Phillips stated he and Charles are prepared to clear all the Birmingham Brummies debts to riders and suppliers amounting to £45k. He would then leave the club in the hands of Charlie to continue running and enable them to finish the 2014 season. He also stated he had already offered this to the BSPA but been flatly refused because they wanted the family out of the sport. The plot thickens......

This I don't understand. Why then throw in the towel mid season if they could pay off all the debts and see the season through. In their words, they can afford it.

It was Phillips's decision to quit originally not the BSPA's

It just smacks of more porkies.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 7

Could you tell me the name of the show it was on so i can listen to it on i player? Thanks

Sounds like Alan won't be involved anymore but Charlie would? Disappointed that the BSPA weren't prepared to go on the show.

BBCWM the midlands one not the Coventry one, hope this helps, it didnt make a lot of sense really blaming each other and everybody esle.

The BBC presenter read out a statement from the BSPA stating that they would not be taking part in the show due to concerns over Alan Philips's health. What the hell is that all about?

Shame really as some points were raised that an official BSPA response would have been useful to hear.

Is there anyone who can indicate an URL at the point on the iPlayer that we might be able to listen to the exchanges. Some of us oldies are not too clever when it comes to modern technology.

Colin Barber

Edited by Cornishfisherman

I, for one, can understand BSPA's response to the 'offer' - like father like son springs to mind. Charles nominally running things (with Dad pulling the strings)? - the family tie is too close. The Phillips' screwed up - simple as that.

• Like 1

The BBC presenter read out a statement from the BSPA stating that they would not be taking part in the show due to concerns over Alan Philips's health. What the hell is that all about?

Sure it wasn't "concerns over Alan Phillips wealth"?

The whole business stinks I'm afraid but the bottom line I suspect will be that the GRA will decide that they can't be bothered with Speedway at PB anymore

Brum could be saved if the BSPA wanted to. If Brum shuts it's because the BSPA didn't want to keep it open.

What needs to be worked out are the reasons why that might be the case.

Sure it wasn't "concerns over Alan Phillips wealth"?

The whole business stinks I'm afraid but the bottom line I suspect will be that the GRA will decide that they can't be bothered with Speedway at PB anymore

. That's not true the GRA want speedway at PB that's fact ?...........

Brum could be saved if the BSPA wanted to. If Brum shuts it's because the BSPA didn't want to keep it open.

What needs to be worked out are the reasons why that might be the case.

Utter tripe

• Like 5

Shame really as some points were raised that an official BSPA response would have been useful to hear.

Health & Safety mate Health & Safety. :t: