British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe To Honour Birmingham Season Tickets

BIRMINGHAM SPEEDWAY season ticket holders will be welcome at Scunthorpe’s Eddie Wright Raceway for speedway meetings for the rest of the 2014 season.

Very sadly, Birmingham have withdrawn from 2014 Elite League. Promoter Alan Phillips pulled out a couple of weeks ago after a financial struggle.

An official statement earlier today (Monday) from the BSPA read: “With deep regret the British Speedway Promoters' Association can confirm the closure of Birmingham Brummies with immediate effect.

“Great efforts have been made by several people to ensure the team could continue racing until the end of the season but sadly this has not proved possible.”

Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey: “It’s massively sad to see Birmingham shut its doors, and I’m sure I echo the thoughts of everyone in speedway, when I say I sincerely hope it’s only temporary and we see the Brummies back next season. No-one ever wants to see a speedway track close.

“I feel so sorry for their fans. Birmingham have an excellent set of supporters, and they used to come to support the Brummies in numbers at the Eddie Wright Raceway in the days they were a Premier League club. I hope to see them back running in the Premier League come next March.

“The Birmingham season tickers holders paid out to see speedway for the year. I know it’s not quite the same as following their own club, but they are welcome at Scunthorpe. They just need to bring along their season ticket with them.

“We hope some of their fans will take advantage of this gesture. As well as standalone Premier League fixtures on Fridays, we also have a couple of double-headers left on August Bank Holiday Monday (August 25) and the Sunday following that (August 31). We’d love to see a few of the Brummies’ coats on our terraces.”

The offer to Birmingham Season Tickets Holders applies to admission only. Programmes, food, car parking, etc will be charged at standard price. It is hoped that the Scunthorpe Scorpions will reach the Premier League play-offs – the offer to Birmingham Season Tickets Holders will be extended to any such meetings.

• Like 5

Thats absolutely fantastic Scunthorpe, massive respect for what you and other clubs have done. Hopefully we can be resurrected in the winter and face you guys next year.

• Like 2

Any chance of the offer being extended to this long suffering Rye House fan next Friday?

• Like 1

Any chance of the offer being extended to this long suffering Rye House fan next Friday?

Didn't renew this year Shads,otherwise I'd get you sorted ;)

Another top gesture from a speedway promotion :t:

• Like 1

Nice gesture, lets hope others join in to keep speedway fans going to support their sport. Loose them, might not get back again.

What a great gesture and i hope Brum are sorted for next year,what a pity all of speedway could not stick together like this.

funny old world speedway when a club folds others rally round to give them grace and allow them in for free if they have a season ticket for a defunct club

but the rest of the time they just want to charge us as much as they can for as little as possible

Great gesture and not just by Scunny; Coventry and Wolves have also looked sympathetically on Brummies season ticket holders. But am I being a bit of spoiler here?...free entrance here; free entrance there...if other tracks offer free admission for Brummies fans; they could potentially show upp at a different track each night and get in free!.

Their Brummies season ticket would only be valid for the one Birmingham home meeting that week; not for multiple meetings. Or am being a spoil sport.

Great gesture and not just by Scunny; Coventry and Wolves have also looked sympathetically on Brummies season ticket holders. But am I being a bit of spoiler here?...free entrance here; free entrance there...if other tracks offer free admission for Brummies fans; they could potentially show upp at a different track each night and get in free!.

Their Brummies season ticket would only be valid for the one Birmingham home meeting that week; not for multiple meetings. Or am being a spoil sport.

Yes

Six tracks have now made this fantastic gesture - Coventry, Wolverhampton, Cradley Heath, Scunthorpe, Belle Vue and Berwick.

It's much appreciated and emphasises what is good about speedway and the people involved in it.

Many thanks to all of them.

• Like 1

Frankly I would have thought that all tracks should honour Brummies Season tickets . It would cost very little and show some compassion by BSPA.