British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

World Cup Final 2nd August 2014

A couple of question i would just like to out there.

1 Do Team GB have a special engine tuner for ALL of the riders taking part.

2 Danny King who rides in the 4,s this afternoon,but how many bikes has he compared with the other riders? Ie Were they the best they could possibly be in Poland?

3 Do team GB have any extra back up staff for this one very important meeting?

4 Do Team Gb get any extra funds to tune the engines?

5 Peter Jones in the best engine tuner in the world in my eyes but do team GB get his services for the event.Ie in the pits.

6 Whover picks the GB team,would it be better to pre plan a rider fixtures in advance so they can get the very best practice in Sweden and Poland or wherever,in the first half of the year so they know what coming when the world cup comes around.I dont know where the next world cup final is but wherever it is go and practice in the winter/Sspring to get used to all options.

Will things actually change over the next 5 years or will we be saying exactly the same in 2019? Too many Big fishes in a small pond and too much self interest from promoters for there to be a change.

Peter Jones he's a football referee isn't he,Peter Johns is the engine tuner I think. :P

Will things actually change over the next 5 years or will we be saying exactly the same in 2019? Too many Big fishes in a small pond and too much self interest from promoters for there to be a change.

Cannot see much changing,when you see the guys hanging about in NL racing for years that tells you a lot about their desire to reach the Top.

The Joker would only be allowed in cheap TV gameshows and minor sports.

Poland should feel robbed this morning, and Germany were denied chance of making last week's "celebration" of top-class speedway when they were the only side that couldn't use Joker in the QR, and they missed out because of it.

Speedway, by allowing such dross rules, has sold itself out a little and will never be taken seriously while this is in place.

Some, however, for the sake of enriching their lives with the excitement factor for the briefest of moments, will love the Joker.

How the sport looks to people it needs to begin to attract... well, we'll be no doubt discussing that on the next occasion a track shuts down.

I prefer a serious storyline in my soap opera.

Speedway reliance on the Joker/Golden Double, is like the dead star coming alive again in a shower scene of that American soap, Dallas, to try and boost flagging ratings.

It can't be serious.

Rosco's statement of a 5 year plan is a chuckle. Brits usually have masses of potential but seem to lack hunger and seem to have made it at 15, with three or so gleaming bikes and a nice vehicle with their names decorated on it.

Winning is the hardest part to achieve and hunger for, if you already have the smartest things you should be aiming for.

As Hampel (correctly) said last night, it was Poland's own fault for not getting far enough ahead to negate any benefit of a joker. Lets face it, if Protasiewicz hadn't overdone it and fallen, Poland would've probably have won, so joker wouldn't have mattered a jot.

Whilst agreeing somewhat that the joker is a bit 'mickey mouse' there's no denying that it can make a potentially dull match a lot closer, and therefore excites the punters. Whilst in a perfect world it may be preferable to scrap jokers and tacsubs or whatever, and to let 'the best team win' its no good having a 'serious and fair' sport that nobody wants to see because the result is a foregone conclusion!

Edited by Star Fever

I think he would have scored some points unlike Stead and King!!

poor selection those two, as stated before the start..rosco claiming the forum moaners were wrong after k.lynn, think again.....we knew those two especially couldnt do it, the weakness of the kings lynn round was a fake impression..italy? only hancock for usa, no holder in aussie team? yet rosco had a pop at this forum...the trouble was, cos they scored well against weaker sides, did rosco believe gb really were that good, or didnt he have the guts to drop the obvious two?......im unaware if bridger was/is injured, but clearly riding in poland must be a "slight" more equipped, granted other selections wouldnt of been obvious, what was obvious, was those two wouldnt cut the mustard. its not a after statement either, i said this weeks before. Rosco knows full well k.lynn gifted him a great debut result, but the harsh reality has hit now
  • Like 2

It is time for the people who run the sport in British speedway to move on and bring in people that really care about the sport.

The riders who are picked for team GB are the same ones year in year out, that have been proved time and time again that they are well below the standards of the other worlds riders.

What we need if for the U19 & U21 to to be able to go abroad and to race against other teams to bring them on, because all this dilly dallying about with them is just not bring any young riders on fast enough.

They now ride at reserve in the EL but it is nothing any diferent to what they are doing in the NL or PL that they currently ride in now.

The BPSA needs to give all the young lads all the help they can possibly give them, so that in 3 or 4 years we have riders that will be up there and that can give the other teams a run for thier money.

As things are going at the moment come 2017 or 2018. We will still be putting out team GB with the same bunch of old tried and failed riders that we are using now.

Lets hope that the powers above give these young lads all the help you can give them, in the next 2 or 3 years.

So we can have a team to be proud of again. Because what we saw of the performance last night it was an absolute disgrace to British Speedway.

Edited by weatherwatcher

All this talk of Middlo. Middlo is nothing without his star riders of Ward, Holder and Hancock. Rosco is the best man for the job right now, so lets give him time to outline his plans for the future, and then time to implement it.

The point has already been made. That was from a different pool of riders.

Completely clueless.

Yep if im clueless then your completely off the scale..

The point has already been made. That was from a different pool of riders.

Of course it was Steve, still trying to justify things i see..

All this talk of Middlo. Middlo is nothing without his star riders of Ward, Holder and Hancock. Rosco is the best man for the job right now, so lets give him time to outline his plans for the future, and then time to implement it.

Im very sure that Neil and Matt could drum up suitable replacements.. Rosco's not the best man for the job, he's the only man that is silly enough to give it a go. And as Neil and Rob found out, he will be banging his bonce against a brick wall..

poor selection those two, as stated before the start..rosco claiming the forum moaners were wrong after k.lynn, think again.....we knew those two especially couldnt do it, the weakness of the kings lynn round was a fake impression..italy? only hancock for usa, no holder in aussie team? yet rosco had a pop at this forum...the trouble was, cos they scored well against weaker sides, did rosco believe gb really were that good, or didnt he have the guts to drop the obvious two?......im unaware if bridger was/is injured, but clearly riding in poland must be a "slight" more equipped, granted other selections wouldnt of been obvious, what was obvious, was those two wouldnt cut the mustard. its not a after statement either, i said this weeks before. Rosco knows full well k.lynn gifted him a great debut result, but the harsh reality has hit now

Nah never, not according to the Rosco worshippers, or should i say the poole bashers on here..

Edited by Starman2006

Rob Lyon was the best man for the job too. He also had a 5 year plan. The BSPA wasn't interested so he quit as their way didn't interest him. I can only see the same happening with Rosco under the current BSPA management dinosaur's.

As far as the 2015 competition and Rosco's 5-year plan is concerned, the one key difference with Rosco getting BSPA backing is that unlike his predecessors - Middlo and Lyon - Rosco is himself a member of the BSPA as a licensed Promoter!!!

Now I'm not sure if that will make any difference - good or bad - but Rosco is certainly in a better position to get that support!! Assuming of course that we all believe its the BSPA's role to support/sponsor/finance/organise Team GB.

Leaving British league speedway aside for the moment - maybe its the Team GB set-up that needs a 'Barry Hearn'-type influence??!

5 yr plan, was that an after thought, or just an excuse.. Lets put things into perspective here. If Rob Lyon and Neil can't get any joy, what chance has Rosco got? a straight answer, none, and why did Scott Nicholls pack up International speedway? As i said in an earlier post, the draft system is good in principal, but its not been thought out properly and should have been started 15 years ago. I really don't see how Rosco is in a better position to get the support from one or two clowns at the top who don't know there finger from there A-se.

We do not have the infrastructure in this country to bring on kids to international level, and do they have the ambition? which begs the question, how did Havvy, Mike Lee, Lee Richardson rip, Mark Loram, Joe Screen, even Tai etc get to the top. Because at the time, with the riders we had riding in this country, if you had any ambition you could not do anything but improve.

Yes the draft system is bringing on 3-4,the likes of Kerr Lambert Garrity Blackbird Worrell Charles Wright, and even our Kyle Newman, so to a certain extent is doing something, but what these kids need is proper tution from one or two ex top riders and riding against riders that are better than them, otherwise they will just got stagnant.. John Davis used to help Lee Richardson rip, then they need sponsorship, our Kyle has done well in that department this year, why, because he does everything right, and providing he stays sound he will continue to improve. We have the likes of Lewis Bridger who rides in Poland, Ben Barker who i believe could be better than he is, if he keeps his mouth shut and just gets on with what he does best, ride a speedway bike, Eddie Kennett, if he put everything into his speedway i believe he could knock on the door, both King and Stead are not good enough. King looks good against the top PL riders, but this is a different standard altogether. But as far as development goes, we are still light light years away from the Danes Poles and Aussies.

And unless things change Rosco's 5 year plan, whatever it is will not even get off the ground. Still im sure the powers that be will be pressing for the World Cup final to be ran in Poland again next year... Isn't it about time we in this country got it again, remember 04, what a success it was, bar one point. and there wasn't a british speedway fan who wasn't behind Neil and Team GB, it would give us a fighting chance, and not being tailed off. Then for once, Neil Rosco Rob Lyon Phil Morris Neil Vatcher can all put their heads together and come together for the one cause, to make Team GB world Champions., enlist ex riders Mark Loram Joe Screen Havvy etc to scout coach or advise, Now, just once in a lifetime, wouldn't that be good it may all sound pie in the sky, but I for one would certainly be behind something like that. but you need a lot of backing from those who. Because as things stand, we are lible to be tailed off for the foreseeable future.

Cardiff for a World Cup final.....

Edited by Starman2006

There is no harsh reality! :neutral: We are poor. That's it. You could have put 2 monkeys in a GB racesuit and they would have scored just as many but that's not King or Stead's fault. They tried and that's all you can ask.

What people should be looking at is how Peter Kildemand has managed to go from the PL @ Workington to riding in the Extraliga and scoring good points in 3 1/2 years? There are plenty of our British riders who PK has just gone right on by in that time, many of them in the GB squad, so I think that should tell you all about Rosco's options and the ability and ambition of British riders.

• Like 1

What we need for the U19s and the U21s is a league setting up from all the top nations and they race every week or every 2 weeks with 4 riders at tracks all over the world to give them the chance notetter themselves but to get the needed racing on other tracks. I am sure it would not be rocket science to start such a league.

Who pays for them to get this much needed track time is another matter. Without something being done to help our young riders to become future stars is another matter.

The GB amatuer boxing and athelitic teams seem to get away with it so why not speedway, or are we now just a long dead forgotten sport.

Why pick on those two?, Harris was crap, 4 points from somewone who "pretends" to be a GP star, surely he has ridden that track in his long and industrious career?

• Like 3

Why pick on those two?, Harris was crap, 4 points from somewone who "pretends" to be a GP star, surely he has ridden that track in his long and industrious career?

totally agree, but at least harris has won the odd race at this level, not great rider, but with what gb has, he would of had to been selected, imo...in all honesty we are in the same boat as the usa, with just one automatic selection