British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Wolves Vs Oxford Vs Birmingham Vs Cradley (retro Fours)

What I don't get is why only 1 proper Cradley rider rode for Cradley? Why no Worrall or Roynon for a start? Worrall, Roynon and Newman wouldn't have been a bad start and they've all got Cradley history.

Equally, why not let Oxford have Ben Barker so they had 2 riders of their own. Im sure another Brummies rider could have been found, after all they have used 8 this season anyway! It just seemed like a bunch of riders stuck together and called Cradley and Oxford which was a bit disrespectful.

Worrall was riding at Eastbourne, but Adam would have been a good call.

Nope, as Wolves and Cradley weren't racing in the meeting and its an insult to true Wolves/Cradley clashes to even remotely compare this meeting to them.

It really bugs you that this meeting was a success, doesn't it? ;)

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Why are people so miserable? Did you go? If not, why should we care what you think?

i couldnt give a monkeys what you think, i thought this was a forum for opinions? opinions differ, but we are ALL entitled them..if your happy to support these kinda fillers go ahead, im not stopping you!!

All the best

Rob

Nope not at all.

It wasn't a success, far from it. Wolves v Cradley, if the stadiums not packed, its a failure. :)

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Nope not at all.

It wasn't a success, far from it. Wolves v Cradley, if the stadiums not packed, its a failure. :)

I thought you said it wasn't Wolves and Cradley. Make your mind up. ;)

I think you're annoyed you were wrong. You said no-one would turn up. But they did, probably in enough numbers for such a meeting to happen again.

All the best

Rob

It was a meeting put on to give Oxford and Birmingham fans some publicity on their quest to return. It was probably a quickly hashed together meeting as I understand CVS would have only been approached a few weeks back by the Birmingham Speedway Supporters Club. He obviously supported such an idea, but these things need to be additional funds to a promotion not substitutional. It also needed to happen while the blood in the Brummies team was still warm.

Good on CVS for chancing it, perhaps if the fixture had been in from the start of the season then more riders could have been available, but in truth we really didn't expect to fold.

Seems logical to include Cradley and Wolves in the line up, but at such short notice this is what we got. :)

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

I think you're annoyed you were wrong. You said no-one would turn up. But they did, probably in enough numbers for such a meeting to happen again.

All the best

Rob

I wasn't wrong, given the Wolves and Cradley fan bases, it was a poor turnout.

The concept of the idea was good, the Birmingham team was fine.. the Wolves and Cradley teams were awful. Tbf tricky to put together a team that could be labelled Oxford accurately.. (should have got Hans Nielsen out of retirement, no excuse not too).

The fact it was £10 admission no doubt helped the crowd too. My sources tell me the crowd was less than for any Wolves league meetings this year, including the low turnouts?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, you enjoyed it, as did others.

if im allowed a point of view (jj), the riders were not the issue...it was sticking pointless race jackets on riders that has no connection with the clubs...imo, if the riders were put in international race jackets, it would of had a team feel to the event, and the racing would of been the same..heeps/tungate etc australia, wells/gino etc usa, barker king etc gb....

How wrong you are "Retro turns into a classic" was the headline in the local paper."Wolves retro fours meeting looks likely to stay on the calender after last nights successful first staging " The word entertaining was mentioned also mentioned 4 times in the write up.Take that all you knockers , All courtesy of 'SCOOP' Pearson of course.

You're entitled to your opinion of course 'New Science' but what else would you expect someone like Nigel Pearson to write considering he is as good as the mouthpiece for the BSPA when it comes to speedway?

His job is to talk-up speedway and the report you mention did just that but that does not mean it was a 'classic' does it?

I suggest you take what you read by Pearson et al 'with a pinch of salt', for after all, newspapers always tell the truth, don't they?

If you've read my previous posts on Nigel Pearson you will realise my comments were laced with sarcasm

I read that too and i had to question if i was at a different meeting.

Its a nice idea however and if fans want to support it (plenty did) then no doubt it will be back next year.

This is the difference between sports journalism and speedway journalism.For the mainsteam sports if you write a piece thats inaccurate expect a deluge of emails,letters questioning whether you were at the same match etc,odds on you wont last long with that paper.With speedway you can sugar coat it with no comebacks !

All the best

Rob

It was Pearson who said it was a success ! When has he ever been involved in anything that "wasn't a good night of speedway" Edited by New Science
  • Like 2

Wolverhampton is one of the few clubs in any league that has only one side for viewing, so when there on the TV, Peason always says its a big crowd, if you opened up the other sides of the stadium it would look like every where esle, hardly anybody there.

• Like 1

What I don't get is why only 1 proper Cradley rider rode for Cradley? Why no Worrall or Roynon for a start? Worrall, Roynon and Newman wouldn't have been a bad start and they've all got Cradley history.

Equally, why not let Oxford have Ben Barker so they had 2 riders of their own. Im sure another Brummies rider could have been found, after all they have used 8 this season anyway! It just seemed like a bunch of riders stuck together and called Cradley and Oxford which was a bit disrespectful.

I will probably be at odds with my Oxford colleagues on this one and probably going to be controversial and ungrateful.

While I understand the idea of it being decent publicity for the clubs who are sadly no longer operating I cannot help but feel that this and indeed the meetings held a few years ago by Swindon were really nothing other than filler meetings for continuity and had little to do with any real care for the defunct clubs

At Swindon the relevant supporters groups were asked whether they were prepared to partly sponsor the meeting/race jackets, that money didn't go to those clubs but to the club putting on the meeting and out of the funds of the club who probably need it more for the fight ahead. This time the jackets were paid for and donated so clearly its better that way

I am not a fan of this idea at all given that in the main the riders have no connection with Oxford (that is going to get harder as time passes) and some of them probably didn't know Oxford ever had a track. Not their fault. Also I say the press release (not knocking you Rob) declaring 'Cheetahs make their first track appearance in 3 years'. Its a group of unconnected riders stuffed into a race jacket that means nothing to them...................for me that is NOT the Oxford Cheetahs

So while its great that there are people that welcome this sort of meeting , its not for me to be honest.

As I say probably a bit ungrateful but just an opinion but glad that there are people who supported it

Edited by Chris Brown
  • Like 3

I feel exactly the same way about the various 'Wimbledon' select teams that have taken to the track since the dons demise in 2005.

All the best

Rob

Already been confirmed that it will be back next year, gotta give the people what they want :rofl:

disappointing that the article can't state that Gary was killed in 1975, saying 'the 1970s' feels pretty disrespectful for the local paper, even if it may seem a long time ago! seems a very lazy piece of writing;

instead of reducing his memory to a one-off race what about a real retro fours in his memory next year based on a 'seniors' type event with riders who did ride for each of those clubs, mixed in with up and coming riders, (allowing the older guys - in their 40s/50s to have a breather between races - except for Greg!) be interesting to see the response...who would you choose from that age bracket (just for fun as realise most would probably say no - although some are still actively riding): realise some could ride for more than one team; a few thoughts for starters, and some wishful thinking

Wolves - Sam, Ronnie C, PK, M.Max (Hans)

Cradley - Greg, Jan O, Billy Hamill,

Oxford - Hans, Todd W, TRick (very tenuous I know but quite a crowd-puller)!

B'ham - Jason Lyons, Johnno, (Hans!)